Exhaust issues

CTCLUES

My first exhaust (2019 Edge ST) was replaced after 1 year when it developed a very load rattling noise.  One year later, the same noise has returned and the dealer is saying that the exhaust is cracked near the flex joint and that the part is on backorder with no expected date (supply chain issue).  This is very annoying and embarrassing as it is a very load rattling noise that can be heard in the cabin and from afar...

I would normally consider a Borla but this car is leased and I probably won't keep it beyond next October when the lease ends.  I might bring it to a local muffler shop and see if the can temporarily fix the issue until the new exhaust comes in.

Anyone else have this issue?

It was the resonator.  I took it to a local muffler shop and they put it up on the lift and the rattling was coming from inside of the resonator.  The oem is 'double' resonator has two parallel pipes through it so they cut it out and replaced it with two universal bottle resonators.  No more rattle.  It sucks that it cost me $180 for something that is covered under warranty though...  I almost had them delete the resonator (would have been $110 labor) but it is my wife's car and is leased - so I decided to keep it quiet.

On different topic, my front rotors need replacing after only 17k miles.  The dealer tried to resurface them but I still get vibrations when they heat up.  The car does not get driven hard and it is not the big brake package but still...

• Sad 1

As it's rented, you may be required to have the original exhaust equipment replaced when turning back in. It’s in your contract.

Dealer will do an inspection, if he doesn't catch it (probably will) the loan company's inspection probably will. They will send you a bill if they do it and make the appropriate markup.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2020 St with 20,000 miles has developed a loud rattling catalytic muffler  also. After looking at parts manual it is not the cat but is part of the complete back section of exhaust which includes muffler. Rattle is in the front section can.  Have an appointment with dealer.   

https://www.villagefordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-muffler-and-pipe-f2gz5230d?c=Zz1leGhhdXN0LXN5c3RlbSZzPWV4aGF1c3QtY29tcG9uZW50cyZsPTMmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1mb3JkJm89ZWRnZSZ5PTIwMjAmdD1zdCZlPTItN2wtdjYtZ2Fz

Edited by dajo2012

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older topic, but I have a 2021 Edge St that has just developed an exhaust rattle at 13000 miles. It happens around 2000 rpm when I rev the motor. Definitely coming from the exhaust system around midway under the car. I climbed under and checked for anything loose or damaged. Nothing. Also noticed the noise is not noticeable until the car is warmed up. Did a bit of research and believe it might be in the muffler, which I believe is in that location where the noise is coming from. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.