Play on front brake rotors, popping sound when first breaking after backing up

Hey there, 

I am just curious if this is a common thing with aftermarket rotors.  I have Powerstop rotors on my '17 Edge Sport.   Zero issues with them after about 4K miles.   I noticed that when backing out of my parking spot and tapping the brakes initially I hear a small pop, then going forward the first braking I hear another.   I pulled the front wheels off and noticed there is some play between the lugs and the holes on the rotor.  Maybe 1/16".  

I checked the caliper brackets, and pins and everything is tight.    I reinstalled the wheels (this only started happening to any level I noticed after I swapped winter tires/wheels on...) and re-torqued all 4, and the noise went away which confirmed to me that it is the rotors moving on the lugs.  I figure I can tighten the wheels and keep that from happening as much but was more curious if this is a normal  "to be expected" behavior for aftermarket rotors if the wheels aren't at or above the torque spec for the wheels.  I normally retorque newly installed wheels after a month of driving and that is about where I am on these, so it was time, but still I've  not heard this before on OE rotors. 

image.png

first time i ever heard of rotor movement making a noticeable noise..

I'm guessing your lugs were not tight the first time..

in fact, looking at the condition of your wheel studs, i'd make damned sure you are torquing them up to spec. 

my 2016 has 14mm studs and torques to around 145 ft/lbs.. seemed like a lot at first.. but thats the number, that what i do

Edited by Cerberus

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

first time i ever heard of rotor movement making a noticeable noise..

I'm guessing your lugs were not tight the first time..

They were tight but were likely 10ftlbs under spec when I went to re tighten them (not uncommon for various lug nuts after a month or two after install).   Maybe a few were more loose than that but none were what I would consider "loose" by any means.   First time for me as well to hear this from brakes!

14 minutes ago, clegg78 said:

They were tight but were likely 10ftlbs under spec when I went to re tighten them (not uncommon for various lug nuts after a month or two after install).   Maybe a few were more loose than that but none were what I would consider "loose" by any means.   First time for me as well to hear this from brakes!

what spec are you using?

Not saying that it's your issue, but I heard a click on nearly every slow stop, like waiting in line a drive through, where the sound could echo off the wall, on our '16 SEL Fwd. After some digging, it turns out that the caliper pins & all points where the pads touch the caliper needed lubed. Bought some extra brake grease & haven't had a problem since.

Our calipers are painted & I think that the paint was causing the pad to stick to the caliper. I previously lubed them when I installed them, but it appears that it wore off or I didn't use enough. 

I also torque my lugs to ~110 ft/lbs & have never had an issue with rotor movement. Both our Edge's have Centric Premium Blank Rotors. The '16 SEL Fwd has PowerStop Z23 Evolution pads & the

2020 SEL AWD has Centric Premium ceramic pads. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2