2009 Nav vs. 2008 Nav

Are there any differences between the 2009 and 2008 Nav systems in the Edge?

The promotional brochure for the 2009 Edge says “New for 2009 the available voice-activated Navigation system features the same speech-recognition software as SYNC, so control couldn’t be easier”. Can you explain what this means from a User-experience standpoint (i.e. how much extra work, if any, is there to use Nav and Sync between a 2008 and 2009 model)?

The only other difference I can find is the addition of Sirius Travel Link (which contains traffic, weather, fuel, sports, and movies). This isn't that interesting to me as I don't want to pay a subscription fee for this.

Thank you,

Peter

Are there any differences between the 2009 and 2008 Nav systems in the Edge?

The promotional brochure for the 2009 Edge says “New for 2009 the available voice-activated Navigation system features the same speech-recognition software as SYNC, so control couldn’t be easier”. Can you explain what this means from a User-experience standpoint (i.e. how much extra work, if any, is there to use Nav and Sync between a 2008 and 2009 model)?

The only other difference I can find is the addition of Sirius Travel Link (which contains traffic, weather, fuel, sports, and movies). This isn't that interesting to me as I don't want to pay a subscription fee for this.

Thank you,

Peter

Yes, it's an upgraded Nav system. In the 08 models Sync and Nav are separate so you have an extra step in voice recognition to tell it whether you want NAV or Sync control.

2007-2008 are Pioneer.. 2009 are Sony systems. The 2009 system GUI (user interface) is so much more modern and slick, very nice compared to 07-08. Also, as you said, bitchen Travel Link in 2009 - I would love to have that feature. Also, not 100% sure, but I thought the nav data on the Sony was on hard-drive and not DVD.

I'm thinking the Nav is on DVD, based on this info from an adobe copy of the Sony Nav manual.

ORDERING MAP, NAVIGATION SOFTWARE AND GRACENOTE

UPDATE DVDS

If you wish to order a replacement or additional map, or an updated

DVD, please contact Ford Customer Service.

JUKEBOX

Your mobile media navigation system has a Jukebox which allows you to

save desired tracks or CDs to the hard drive for later access. The hard

drive can store up to 10 GB* (164 hours; approximately 2,472 tracks) of

music. The system contains a Gracenote media database that allows for

display of song title, album title, and album cover art. After saving music

to the hard drive, you can access and play your music by specific tracks,

artists, albums or genres. You can even choose to create and access your

own playlists.

Ahh.. so the hard drive is just for digital music storage, not nav access... so I was 'kinda' right ;)

Actually you are totally right, all the nav stuff is saved on the hard drive. To update you put in a new DVD and it copies all the info onto the drive, then you take out the DVD.

But you are wrong in that it is not a Sony system. Sony just makes the audio components, the head unit and all the software is done by Xanavi (a division of Hitachi). It's essentially the same system that's in all the new Nissans, and has been rated very highly there.

To answer the original post, the old Nav system is like a Commodore 64 compared to the new one. The new one has much better graphics and interface, you can upload photos, save music on the hard drive and it has a much more extensive list of POI and many more voice commands. So even if you don't want to pay for travel link, there is still a lot of improvements. But one glaring fault is that it's still not fully integrated with SYNC, you still have to give it the extra step of voice command.

The one that I jumped in a played with said "Sony" on the startup screen... so that is why I assumed it was a Sony nav system.

anyway.. on all fronts, I wish we could change them out. But, I also recall - among other things - there is a different form factor and a new button, etc. I investigated this a bit back with a different thread before even this much was known, and it became clear than that a straight swap would not be possible.

I suspect you can upgrade the Hard Drive in the system by simply copying all system info to a new one [formatting it as a system disk with the correct disk format] and reinstalling it. I doubt the software would know the difference and just think there is more space.... much like swapping in a new HD into a PS3 is pretty easy to do.