Rattle/Ticking Sound in Back of Panoramic Moonroof

Hello,

I have a 2018 Sport, bought it about 1.5 years ago. Love the car, but for the past 8 months or so I’ve been getting a rattle / ticking sound as I drive, coming from the back middle of the panoramic moonroof. Especially as go over bumps, even small ones. It seems to have gotten worse as the winter months came along, too. If the road is not perfectly smooth, it’ll rattle. 

A few weeks back, I took it to the dealer for an entire day, and they couldn’t solve the problem. You won’t hear it with the curtain closed, but when it’s open at any point, you’ll hear it. The dealer just lubed up the tracks and said the noise was “less apparent.” It didn’t do a thing. They also had it all day but didn’t start working on it until late afternoon. 

I saw a video where someone who had a similar noise and used 3-in-1 RV lube on an F150 panoramic moonroof, around the seal where glass meets the body, so I bought some and will try that once the weather warms up a bit. Perhaps it’s a little dry and the glass is rubbing up against a dry rubber seal? I don’t know. 

I want to have someone else drive it so I can sit in the back and try to pin point it. 

Has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been dealing with a similar issue on my 2020 ST.  Five trips to the dealership and have finally had the issue diagnosed but still have to bring it back a sixth time to actually be fixed.  With the visor open, feel gently in the headliner between the visor and the moonroof glass.  There is a metal bar (mine is a folded piece of metal with a trough in it) that runs the width of the car holding the visor fabric tight.  For me, if someone holds their fingers on that bar while the car is driving, the sound goes away.  I suspect something needs to be tightened, or some sort of sound deadening material added, but my ticking has turned into a constant and wildly irritating rattle.  I am hopeful my next trip to the service department fixes this for good.  They will need to take the headliner off to access the bar.

i too would be grateful for anyone’s experience getting this actually fixed so i can ensure the tech is aware of the possible solution.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, EdgeST2020! I felt around in that area and sure enough I have the same bar. I haven’t had a chance to drive with someone and have them put their hand up there to see if it stops, but I definitely will soon! It makes sense that that would be the culprit, especially since that’s right where I hear it from. 

I tried the 3-in-1 around the seals on the roof and that didn’t work at all. I ordered some “Hush Tape” thinking maybe I could cut some thin strips and place it between the rear glass and metal border, since I thought it might be the rear glass itself vibrating, but perhaps I could find a way to use it on the bar and see if that helps. 

I’ll post back my findings. Thanks again! 

My MKX does the same thing.

On the drivers side, in the space between the glass and roof, therea space where the bamr rides in a tract. In there, there is a guide that supports an rubber, accordion seal. The guide has a metal insert in the accordion seal, that comes out and "taps" against the metal guide slot. A slight touch is usually all that's necessary to move it and stop the sound. (Irritating in that every little bump maks it vibrate).

I've purchased new accordion seals but haven't had time to install them.

Think it was originally caused by the accordion seal being deformed when it closed and folded over (rather than compressing), causing it to deform. Probaby dried out and became slightly stiff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 5:57 PM, EdgeST2020 said:

I have been dealing with a similar issue on my 2020 ST.  Five trips to the dealership and have finally had the issue diagnosed but still have to bring it back a sixth time to actually be fixed.  With the visor open, feel gently in the headliner between the visor and the moonroof glass.  There is a metal bar (mine is a folded piece of metal with a trough in it) that runs the width of the car holding the visor fabric tight.  For me, if someone holds their fingers on that bar while the car is driving, the sound goes away.  I suspect something needs to be tightened, or some sort of sound deadening material added, but my ticking has turned into a constant and wildly irritating rattle.  I am hopeful my next trip to the service department fixes this for good.  They will need to take the headliner off to access the bar.

i too would be grateful for anyone’s experience getting this actually fixed so i can ensure the tech is aware of the possible solution.

Update - back from my SIXTH service appointment among three service departments and still not only not fixed, but worse than when i dropped it off.  Part of problem appears to be that whenever the headliner is removed and reinstalled, the noise goes away for about 30 miles of driving then comes back.  Long enough for the dealer to declare it fixed, but short enough for me to be calling telling them that no it is not fixed.  Ford customer experience phone number is useless.  This car is a pile of crap.

How extremely frustrating! What did they say they “fixed” with the bar to solve the problem? I know for sure that it’s the same thing in my car. I’m still going to try and safely add some Quiet Tape to the area to see if that helps. Maybe even try some type of sound reinforcement foam between the bar and they roof to keep it still. We’ll see if it helps! 

1 hour ago, WMich18Sport said:

How extremely frustrating! What did they say they “fixed” with the bar to solve the problem? I know for sure that it’s the same thing in my car. I’m still going to try and safely add some Quiet Tape to the area to see if that helps. Maybe even try some type of sound reinforcement foam between the bar and they roof to keep it still. We’ll see if it helps! 

I am actually unconvinced now that it is the bar. Thats what the tech said when he went for a ride with me….but riding around in it myself yesterday, i couldnt make the noise stop.  Considering it improved when the headliner was taken down and reinstalled, then got worse again, make me wonder if there is something in the headliner assembly that keeps popping out of place (i am not very mechanically inclined so this is a bit “mickey mouse” on my part).  

On 4/16/2022 at 8:23 AM, EdgeST2020 said:

I am actually unconvinced now that it is the bar. Thats what the tech said when he went for a ride with me….but riding around in it myself yesterday, i couldnt make the noise stop.  Considering it improved when the headliner was taken down and reinstalled, then got worse again, make me wonder if there is something in the headliner assembly that keeps popping out of place (i am not very mechanically inclined so this is a bit “mickey mouse” on my part).  

We found the issue in our car and fixed it.  It was in fact the bar…kinda.  The bar in question (runs along the width of the car in the rear of the vista roof, sits between the glass and the sunshade fabric), at least in my car, has a weird metal clip where it terminates on the right side.  Applying pressure to that metal clip with my finger while my wife drove eliminated the noise completely.  The clicking and rattling seems to be that metal piece shaking loose and springing against the bar.  We fixed it for three dollars (and some careful work by my wife working in the very tight space between the glass and the headliner) by wrapping a cable management tie really tight around the bar and clip.  Have driven 20+ miles and the noise is completely eliminated.

i am attaching pictures of the clip, the ties we used, and the final product (had to use my phone camera to get a visual because of how tight the space is above the headliner).  I would NOT use a plastic zip tie as the tie itself will rub against the sunshade fabric and you dont want it to tear.  I like the ties in the picture because the soft side of the velcro is what touches the sunshade fabric.

it took my wife (who is awesome) a few tries given how tight the space is…wasnt easy but the final product worked wonders.  I imagine quiet tape would work similarly.

hope this helps - considering there is soft tape under the clip before we made our repair it seems someone realized this is an issue at some point.

F8D25D15-D56B-4B19-BD80-FEE9212F5F7B.jpeg

443B9DB5-A861-4F57-8BD1-241EC8C1513D.jpeg

9452EFA3-5BEC-43F0-97EB-E5B7C898DAEC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes! I have the exact same metal bar in mine. I went and picked up some Velcro One-Wrap ties and it’s working really good! Makes a HUGE difference. I can still hear the occasional tick but wow, so much better.

Drove all over town on some really bumpy roads and I can barely hear it anymore. I could probably get it a little tighter too, just tough to work in that small spot. Maybe adding some hush tape will completely eliminate it. 

Thanks for figuring this out and sharing the info!! Just knowing what the culprit is is a huge relief! Thanks! 

Looking at the fix, is there any possibility that the excess wrap could catch on the moving psrts and bind the sliding mechanism? 

Seems to be a really poor engineering design, the clip just pressing against the rail. Wonder if putting a slight more bend in the clip itself, to press a little harder against the rail, would eliminate the tiny  gap? Did it rattle when open or just when closed? 

I +hate+ ticking rattles. And plastic-on-plastic squeeks. 

Good find edgeST2020! Would makeva good YouTube video. 

Edited by enigma-2

5 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Looking at the fix, is there any possibility that the excess wrap could catch on the moving psrts and bind the sliding mechanism? 

Seems to be a really poor engineering design, the clip just pressing against the rail. Wonder if putting a slight more bend in the clip itself, to press a little harder against the rail, would eliminate the tiny  gap? Did it rattle when open or just when closed? 

I +hate+ ticking rattles. And plastic-on-plastic squeeks. 

Good find edgeST2020! Would makeva good YouTube video. 

Fair question.  I don’t think it should catch on anything.  That said you could just snip the excess wrap with scissors - i just want to be sure it stays in place before i do.  I didnt want to bend anything for fear of creating another problem elsewhere.  My rattle was always present - whether sunshade closed or open.

i guess there is a risk the velcro comes loose, falls off, and gets wrapped up in the sunshade as it retracts so maybe tape on the top of the bar is a good idea too.  I rarely have a need to close my sunshade.  But absent the dealer giving me a better solution after spending countless hours shuttling back and forth, i will take this.

hopefully, simply knowing that this velcro fix “works” at least gives people some info the dealer can use to fix it more properly.

• Like 2

I have a 2020 Edge ST and previously had a 2018 Edge sport, both with the exact same problem.  I wouldn’t call the noise a click but more of a creaking/squeaking noise that is only amplified when the sun shines in it, drives me absolutely crazy!!!  I’m going to look into the Velcro wrap trick as I’ve been considering bringing it to the dealership but figured they would probably be unhelpful.  I found that I can recreate the noise by sitting in the back seat and lightly pushing up on the glass.  

Edited by Dnickerson

3 hours ago, Dnickerson said:

I have a 2020 Edge ST and previously had a 2018 Edge sport, both with the exact same problem.  I wouldn’t call the noise a click but more of a creaking/squeaking noise that is only amplified when the sun shines in it, drives me absolutely crazy!!!  I’m going to look into the Velcro wrap trick as I’ve been considering bringing it to the dealership but figured they would probably be unhelpful.  I found that I can recreate the noise by sitting in the back seat and lightly pushing up on the glass.  

I was able to make the click by pushing on the glass too.  I think it just tugs at the frame around the sunroof such that that clip comes loose and clicks.  The dealership i initially brought it to actually resealed the rear of the vista roof thinking that was the issue, but the click/creak continued.  Then velcro!

i am probably going to replace the velcro with tightly wound quiet tape but bottom line that clip is likely the issue.

During my earlier inspections, I too could make the click sound by pushing up on the rear glass. It’s why I thought maybe the rubber seals around the glass needed to be lubed. That wasn’t it though.

To me, it’s definitely the clip. The sound is coming back for me again, but quieter and a bit less frequent since adding the Velcro. I think I need to position the Velcro a little better to hold it in place tighter. I’ll be trying the quiet tape in the next few days too, when I have some time. 

18 minutes ago, WMich18Sport said:

During my earlier inspections, I too could make the click sound by pushing up on the rear glass. It’s why I thought maybe the rubber seals around the glass needed to be lubed. That wasn’t it though.

To me, it’s definitely the clip. The sound is coming back for me again, but quieter and a bit less frequent since adding the Velcro. I think I need to position the Velcro a little better to hold it in place tighter. I’ll be trying the quiet tape in the next few days too, when I have some time. 

Same here - much more tolerable but the velcro strap clearly coming a little loose.  What is really amazing about this is how we all seem to have the same issue, due to a similar design flaw, across several model years, and no one at ford seems to understand that this is an issue or that people dont like having rattling sounds in their ears while they drive.  I hope they can figure this out and roll out a solution to dealerships that works.

19 hours ago, EdgeST2020 said:

I was able to make the click by pushing on the glass too.  I think it just tugs at the frame around the sunroof such that that clip comes loose and clicks.  The dealership i initially brought it to actually resealed the rear of the vista roof thinking that was the issue, but the click/creak continued.  Then velcro!

i am probably going to replace the velcro with tightly wound quiet tape but bottom line that clip is likely the issue.

I did listen a little closer to the sound today and it could very well be a continuous fast clicking.  Definitely going to try putting something under the clip.  Is there one on each side or just a single clip? 

9 hours ago, Dnickerson said:

I did listen a little closer to the sound today and it could very well be a continuous fast clicking.  Definitely going to try putting something under the clip.  Is there one on each side or just a single clip? 

It’s just a single clip, on the rear passenger side. I’m not sure it can be lifted without using extra force. Therefore, I didn’t try to put anything under it in fear of breaking something. 

I applied a few strips of HushMat Quiet Tape today. First two to cover the clip and wrap around the sides of the bar, then a third attempting to cover some of the skinny metal bar that goes towards the back of the car (a really hard reach), then a 4th across the top of the first two strips. 

Overall, it’s better but doesn’t completely eliminate it. It did eliminate the rattle on smoother roads, but once you get on a bumpy road you can hear it. It does quiet it down though, which is an improvement. 

Edited by WMich18Sport

• 4 months later...

Going to add another possible noise source to check. There's a little grille cover over the rear microphone for the ANC system. On my vehicle this easily comes off. When I tried reattaching it, it doesn't seem to want to clip on but makes that creaking type noise I've been hearing as I push up on it.  I've been driving around with it off and that irritating noise I've been hearing is gone!  Going to try to find a way to attach it so it doesn't make that noise. Kinda ironic that part of the system that's supposed to make the car quieter does just the opposite.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have a 22 ST that makes this click/tapping noise.  I've had the car 14 months, and it didn't start until a couple of months ago.  I got in the back seat area and tapped on the headliner in that area and "think" I have reproduced the sound.  Mine could certainly be coming from that metal rail, but I noticed it the most when I tapped on the ANC grille as kruzr1 said above.  Glad I found this thread and I'll probably try something on the metal bar first to see if that does anything because I don't want to break it.  

• 2 weeks later...

After further troubleshooting, my rattle/ticking was coming from the same place mentioned by EdgeST2020.  I was able to cut off a very small about half inch by half inch piece of an old bath towel, and push it under the shiny metal clip that goes over the black bar with a long small screwdriver.  The rattle is gone!  I barely have it stuck in there, so I think it is possible it could work its way out, but for now it is gone.  At least I know where it was coming from.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2017 with panoramic glass roof. The sunshade rattles when it is in closed position, the rattle is coming from just behind the rear seats, I think from the roller mechanism. Anyone had this issue? Noise goes away if the shade is even slightly opened. 

Edited by Rockhound
clarifying roof
  • Confused 1

When you say you have a glass roof, I assume you mean the electronic panoramic roof?  If so, there is a thread on this that pinpoints the cause of the rattle that many of us have.  I just fixed mine a week or so ago.  Here's the thread.....

Rattle/Ticking Sound in Back of Panoramic Moonroof - Glass, Lenses, Lighting, Mirrors, Sunroof (BAMR), Wipers - Ford Edge Forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this same issue although I'm not sure I would call it a rattle.  Maybe more of a single lower pitched sound, not necessarily metallic. I made repairs to the ESD strap mentioned in the thread you referenced. That didn't change this issue.