I’ve Always Said No To Sunroofs...

Because I didn’t want a hole in the roof to eventually leak.

I noticed the passenger side roof rack was sitting a little high when I bought my Edge. 
Twice now after a very hard rain, I’ve had water on my passenger floormat, so when I washed it this evening, I took the hose and started spraying around the windshield looking for water inside. It wasn’t until I sprayed the passenger roof bar that I got water inside.

So I’m guessing I need to partially drop the headliner to get to the fasteners that hold the bar on? Anyone messed with these before?

As usual, there’s not going to be a gasket sold separately...

https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/v-2019-ford-edge--titanium--2-0l-l4-gas/body--luggage-carrier

01464c8346924656b752d3393f88f3d0.jpeg

ba3c82da0e604bb486481cf654f8c8e2.jpeg

679116f26a8b40cda7f77cab86e5c586.jpeg

f7092c25c5d348e0805964d8545cf039.jpeg

Edited by chipdog4

13 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I'd imagine that once its screwed back tight it will be water proof. But you could always use a small amout of clear silicone around the holes for extra protection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ID8EDKY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_BHBT4PC24XVHJNT1M0GR

That's first on my list, seeing if the bolts are loose.  I can't really push down and compress the seal, so if feels like something may be keeping it from seating correctly. 

13 hours ago, SC_ST said:

What year and still under warranty? Dealer I say 

It's a 2019, but I have almost 53,000 miles on it, so no bumper to bumper left.

4 hours ago, Haz said:

Holy moly! Thanks man. 

This is a huge help.

I had some time after work and with some huge help from Haz, I didn’t tear anything up too bad ?

I disassembled the b pillar and some of the a, and took out the grabbars. I was able to get my hand and a small ratchet passed the airbags.  The bolts were tight, I gave them a bit more but it didn’t cinch it down any tighter. They take a 10mm socket and each bolt has a large rubber gasket under the bar.

I think the roof bar was two pieces and hollow in the middle, water may be getting inside the hollow cavity and traveling down the alignment dowels net to the bolt holes.

(there’s a good picture of the bottom in this eBay ad)

Ebay ad

Looks like I’ll be buying a pair of new bars cause if I have to drop the headliner, I’ll do em both.

I’ll talk to the dealer but I doubt they be able to help.

There was water spots and some dirt on the inside of the a pillar plastic, it’s traveling right on down the curtain airbags 

20 hours ago, chipdog4 said:

I had some time after work and with some huge help from Haz, I didn’t tear anything up too bad ?

I disassembled the b pillar and some of the a, and took out the grabbars. I was able to get my hand and a small ratchet passed the airbags.  The bolts were tight, I gave them a bit more but it didn’t cinch it down any tighter. They take a 10mm socket and each bolt has a large rubber gasket under the bar.

I think the roof bar was two pieces and hollow in the middle, water may be getting inside the hollow cavity and traveling down the alignment dowels net to the bolt holes.

(there’s a good picture of the bottom in this eBay ad)

Ebay ad

Looks like I’ll be buying a pair of new bars cause if I have to drop the headliner, I’ll do em both.

I’ll talk to the dealer but I doubt they be able to help.

There was water spots and some dirt on the inside of the a pillar plastic, it’s traveling right on down the curtain airbags 

Yeah, you don’t want those going off when you work on them… 

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a new bar and it arrived yesterday, so I installed it.  And it looked the same when I snugged up the bolts. ?

So I started looking at the the "roof rack retainers" (spacer that inserts into the roof) and noticed they were different heights. 

I started filing on one to make it shorter to pull the bar closer to the roof and noticed it was actually growing. 

Doh!   Discovered the spacers are adjustable. I then adjusted them all to the minimum height they collapse to and reinstalled the new bar. 

It's touching the roof in some places now, so it better be sealed up good.  I wish they were contoured better to match the roof.

I'd be interested to know how the set the height on those at the factory. 

They probably don't and just grab them from a container and slap them in...

https://www.fairwayfordparts.net/oem-parts/ford-roof-rack-retainer-em2z58513a06c?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9bHVnZ2FnZS1jYXJyaWVyJmw9NyZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWZvcmQmbz1lZGdlJnk9MjAxOSZ0PXRpdGFuaXVtJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM%3D

7741ceb54be544f89a990eb07d7ffbfe.jpeg

Very dirty under the old bar.

2e108cb603904d8a8c50fe6b8463e754.jpeg

2ab4ca38360741b78f820575305467a4.jpeg

722bd16323fd4799a21207ffbbed5da3.jpeg

9c95168defe348dbb1fe56c52144b5ed.jpeg

12d63efdbfc846a0968f836f7935fcf9.jpeg

And what it started out looking like.

679116f26a8b40cda7f77cab86e5c586.jpeg

Edited by chipdog4