'18 Sport, and it hates my iPhone...kinda

My apologies for such a long thread... Got out of control quickly :whistling:

1. '18 Sport, latest Sync 3.4.21194 via CyanLabs SYN3 Updater 2.10.8.0  and maps 2020 etc.  ****EDIT= Ford has SYNC  3.4.22020 available now, hmm****
  2. iPhone 11 (15.3.1 IOS, but as I type, upgrading to 15.4- so maaaaybe this post will be for nothing--- doubtful)
  3. Owner, lives in a van down by the river, speaks fluent Italian swear words, and maybe like 7 words without swears- I think - hmm das ist eine gute frage?....  Great dancer, crappy singer..... Oh sorry wrong site :spiteful:

My iPhone sounds, from the iPhone itself are all muted::    Email, text messages, typing and clicking buttons, videos, outlook app, MS Teams,  etc, are ALWAYS MUTED in my vehicle when I’m driving - always! Even when I shut truck off, not until I open my door does all the audio begin working again.
I do NOT run Apple CarPlay at all, bluetooth for phone calls only, and do not charge or connect my iPhone via USB hardly ever. This is not the "no audio from anywhere" issue that comes up when I googaloogaloo either.
I've done a factory reset on the SYNC/vehicle, and twice upgraded my SYNC to 3.4.21194  (Is this part of the issue? Too new a version for my 2018? I went by the instructions, and had no failures)

So - here's an example-  even with the updated NAV maps 2020, my built in NAV (which I love) brought me to wrong address today - no big deal - so I toggled my WAZE on my phone (not thru CarPlay)  and couldn't hear a thing unless I stopped Bluetooth fully?

So-- is this by FORD design?????  Can't be!   Please help Obi-Wan Edgobi, you're my only help! :sos:

Edited by TheyCallMeTheMayor

44 minutes ago, TheyCallMeTheMayor said:
Email, text messages, typing and clicking buttons, videos, outlook app, MS Teams,  etc, are ALWAYS MUTED in my vehicle when I’m driving - always! Even when I shut truck off, not until I open my door does all the audio begin working again.

Normal action, the phone is linked to your ACU. Phone mutes and send audio to Sync.

Reason it stays muted until you open the car door is, it's still connected to Sync, even though the ignition is off, due to the accessory delay. This delay is cancelled when you open the door.

If you cannot hear your phone through the ACU (the radio), is probably because the volume is turned down. Make a connection with the phone, say call your home phone, and then turn up the volume on the car radio. You should hear the phone ringing.

(Cell phone volume is adjusted  independently from the radio station volume.)

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

If my cell phone volume is independent then wouldn’t that automatically negate the fact that I can make phone calls and hear people without issue, right? I’m aware of separate BT volume though, my old Nissan had that a lot.  It’d auto lower volume.  

Forgot to mention I’m a 25 year IT guy, and this is kicking my butt. 

!!!UPDATE!!!

So, if I'm already in a call, I can now hear sounds, like typing, Insta, Youtube, Teams etc... But the second the phonecall is over, everything goes back to muted.  I upgraded my iOS to the latest, and this was the only positive change.

Again, bluetooth volume is already up.

iPhone 11, o/s 15.4.

Any more ideas? Please? :detective:

EDIT: I guess my next move is to upgrade SYNC to the latest also, as no one I talk to has seen my issue, and most if not all of them had no idea about SYNC upgrades...  But I hate losing all my GPS fav's (like 30 already now, more daily)

Edited by TheyCallMeTheMayor
more info

Try pairing another phone to sync, a friend or relative, doesn't matter you can always delete it.

Delete your phone from sync first.
If the issue persists on the just paired phone then you've narrowed it down to sync, otherwise it could be a setting on your phone.

• Like 1

Maybe try Carplay? See if it works there. If so, Motorola is now making a wireless adapter for AA/CarPlay so you don't need to plug phone in every time. I've gotten so use to AA I almost never use Edge NAV (which is pretty good) and now my texts work again and I can simply ask the phone to play stations, send listen to texts, navigate, check calendar for apts, weather....

On 3/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, ebank said:

Try pairing another phone to sync, a friend or relative, doesn't matter you can always delete it.

Delete your phone from sync first.
If the issue persists on the just paired phone then you've narrowed it down to sync, otherwise it could be a setting on your phone.

Deleted my phone fully, restarted truck.

paired my gf's phone, same behavior!!!

Both are iPhones, mine slightly newer- same updated O/S.

I'm in a loaner car this week (again, again, plus 2 more times since Feb for steering wheel heater), and this little rat of a CUV -(India's Tata---uhgod what a tin can) does NOT behave the same way...

Close to giving up entirely, but havent had my truck home long enough to try the upgrade I mentioned previously, lol