Transmission oil and ptu oil change

tmise40

Sounds pricey! Are you guys actually changing the tranny fluid three times? Seems like a lot of $$ waste! Just cost me $45 for 5 quarts of Mercon V and I believe this thing takes 11 qts or so! Also heard it should be changed every 30,000 miles since the filter can’t be changed unless you take the tranny apart?! Crazy! Also the ptu oil change looks like a pain also. You guys have any helpful advice on that? Heard it should be changed again after 1,000 miles in order to get most the black oil out. My Edge is a 2009 with 152,000 miles, bought it at 120,000 miles so I’m not sure if any of these fluids have ever been changed. 

Edited by tmise40

1 hour ago, tmise40 said:

Sounds pricey! Are you guys actually changing the tranny fluid three times? Seems like a lot of $$ waste! Just cost me $45 for 5 quarts of Mercon V and I believe this thing takes 11 qts or so! Also heard it should be changed every 30,000 miles since the filter can’t be changed unless you take the tranny apart?! Crazy! Also the ptu oil change looks like a pain also. You guys have any helpful advice on that? Heard it should be changed again after 1,000 miles in order to get most the black oil out. My Edge is a 2009 with 152,000 miles, bought it at 120,000 miles so I’m not sure if any of these fluids have ever been changed. 

"Seems like a lot of waste" would be a personal opinion, but interested to hear how you came to that opinion.

A quick forum search should answer your other questions.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 7:09 AM, tmise40 said:

My Edge is a 2009 with 152,000 miles, bought it at 120,000 miles so I’m not sure if any of these fluids have ever been changed. 

I have an 09 MKX. To be sure of everything, I'd change all fluids. All fluids age. Includes those areas that are "supposed" to be lifetime, like the PTU and RDU. At 150k, I'd also be looking at new plugs. (Not a big fan of 90k intervals).

Have you changed the cabin air filter since you bought the car? How about the seat filters? 

Have you replaced the fuel tank and air bags?