2021 Ford Edge - Forward Camera stop working after 5/13 Sync update.

Here's what I just found...

"**ATTENTION, if you are a current owner of a 2021 Ford Edge and are experiencing camera issues, give us a call. Our services are absolutely FREE to you. Click 844-928-4443 ☎ now for a Free Case Evaluation or fill out our Contact Form."

Ford Edge Camera Problems | Camera Not Working (lemberglaw.com)

34 minutes ago, Ford Fanatic 28 said:

What if you've already taken it to the dealer and they couldn't fix it?

Got the September update, a bunch of hooey about Alexa (really have no use for that in my cars), but they have not touched the camera issue, or the other problems that I have been having (posted in another thread).  So it is time to move on.

I would like to extend my thanks to the nice folks in this forum for your support and camaraderie, but I am going to pick up a boring point A to B Toyota Highlander in a couple of weeks to replace the Edge.  It will not drive as well but at least I can get from point A to point B without the neverending feeling of wasted money.  I somewhat wish that I had not lemon traded our ‘19 ST for this one, as not only so many nice touches are missing, but the Sync 4 HMI is an absolute mess.  It feels like every car has a different box of gremlin surprises, maybe Ford will get their act together again in the future.

I did get a September update that did not address the camera issue.  However,  beside the Alexa comment, it went on to say this was only part one of a two part download.  The second part being extensive, and it did mention future improvements. Although my confidence level of the second download addressing the camera is low as it was not specifically mentioned.  Has anyone received the second part of the update?

John S 

• Like 1

Well the problem is formally recognized on NHTSA and FORD OEM DTC which means it will get solved. The question WHEN. 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214840-0001.pdf

https://ford.oemdtc.com/10460/front-camera-inoperative-after-vehicle-traveled-over-6mph-10km-h-2021-ford-edge 

Edited by dalethewhale

On 9/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, dalethewhale said:

I still have not received part 2 of the update and my camera did not change yet. I have hot spot enabled and fiber gigabit internet/wifi it connects to every morning in the garage. 

I called Ford Customer service today.  They show  no issues with my vehicle, however, they did connect me with technical support and they acknowledged SSM 50884 which I was told is the front camera fix, but was not yet available. The NHTSA website under dealer communications   Aug 31, 2022, references Update 3 Part 1, was available,  but goes on to say  the front camera fix is not included in that portion of the update. Just sharing information, if it is other then an over the air fix, may want to keep in communications with the dealer. 

Before the latest update, if you wanted to see the front camera, you would have to put the car in reverse, zoom in with the "+" button, switch to "D", then click the front camera button again, but it would IMMEdiately switch back after 1 second. 

Now after the update if you do the same procedure the front camera stays on after driving above 7mph. That is, put the car in R, hit zoom "+", then switch back to D, then hit the front camera, it will stay on and not immediately switch back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dalethewhale said:

Before the latest update, if you wanted to see the front camera, you would have to put the car in reverse, zoom in with the "+" button, switch to "D", then click the front camera button again, but it would IMMEdiately switch back after 1 second. 

Now after the update if you do the same procedure the front camera stays on after driving above 7mph. That is, put the car in R, hit zoom "+", then switch back to D, then hit the front camera, it will stay on and not immediately switch back. 

I don't have a "+" button ? 

1 hour ago, dalethewhale said:

When you're in reverse, the "+" button is on the screen on the top left in a circle. It will then zoom in on the camera for tow mode. Then when you switch back to "D" the front camera button will work. 

Okay got it. That's still not kosher though. They need to FIX our cameras. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

Excuse the paranoia, but the front camera is still working today. Received the second part of the previous download yesterday. The front camera  now works as it did originally. A third  download of lesser content was mentioned coming soon.  I am getting a message saying no driver logged in, and  is looking for a 4 digit number. I have no idea what they are referring too. Everything else seems to work, even the ambient lighting is staying on. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 6:24 PM, John S said:

Excuse the paranoia, but the front camera is still working today. Received the second part of the previous download yesterday. The front camera  now works as it did originally. A third  download of lesser content was mentioned coming soon.  I am getting a message saying no driver logged in, and  is looking for a 4 digit number. I have no idea what they are referring too. Everything else seems to work, even the ambient lighting is staying on. 

I haven't received a second part of the latest update. 

I did receive the third download, which basically completed the process if you wanted to hook up with Amazon/Alexa. I also just spoke with Ford software support regarding the "Np Driver Logged In" message They were aware of the issue, said it had something to do with Apple Car Play, and a fix is in place and that should occur within a few days. The message can be dismissed,  and it has no negative impacts, just an annoyance. The techs I have spoken with have been very helpful.  Customer service (800) 392- 3673.  The automated service will ask what kind of vehicle you have, and then ask what you are calling for. I simply said I have a question regarding Sync 4A software, and I was transferred to a tech representative. Have your VIN handy.  Side note, front camera still works, glad to have it back. 

• Thanks 1

In my case this has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had relating to a car issue. Back in May they had the vehicle for a month, I filed a complaint with Ford Corporate, reported it to the NHTSA, had a formal case number etc.  That being said I have no idea of how and who they are sending the downloads to, but I did create an awareness by calling customer service and asking for Sync 4A support, just a few days prior to getting the download.    

On 10/10/2022 at 11:12 PM, John S said:

In my case this has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had relating to a car issue. Back in May they had the vehicle for a month, I filed a complaint with Ford Corporate, reported it to the NHTSA, had a formal case number etc.  That being said I have no idea of how and who they are sending the downloads to, but I did create an awareness by calling customer service and asking for Sync 4A support, just a few days prior to getting the download.    

When you spoke to them were you told to turn your headlights off and engage the parking brake in order for update to load?

No.  Never got specific actions to try, because at the time I called we were still waiting for a fix to be available. I just set my vehicle and My Ford App up to receive an update if there  was one. That is to the best of my technical ability, which luckily seemed to be enough. The good news, compared to a few days ago ,at least there seems to be a fix in place.  Based on the response you received, you may want to try your dealers service department.