2009 Edge dealer installed Navigation

jrgrafixx

I just bought a new 2009 Edge SEL off the lot. It came with Sync, Sirius is standard and I had the dealer install the Navigation system. He told me and I have heard from other dealers that the Sirius Travel link will not work with the dealer installed Navigation. That it has to be factory installed. Anyone have any ideas why and if there is some sort of upgrade that I can make it work?

thanks

jr

Edited by jrgrafixx

• 4 weeks later...
I just bought a new 2009 Edge SEL off the lot. It came with Sync, Sirius is standard and I had the dealer install the Navigation system. He told me and I have heard from other dealers that the Sirius Travel link will not work with the dealer installed Navigation. That it has to be factory installed. Anyone have any ideas why and if there is some sort of upgrade that I can make it work?

thanks

jr

I bought my wife a 2009 SEL in Dec with Sync and Sirius. The vehicle had travel link with the sirius radio. I wanted a Nav system installed. The dealer installed an 09' Nav system. The sync works, the nav works, the sat radio works, the travel link works. Only difference is that they added one of those external magnetic roof mounted antennas. Of course as soon as i got there i told them that it would not fly like that. They ordered another factory GPS antenna for the rear of the roof with 2 connectors. One for Nav and one for Sirius...

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my wife a 2009 SEL in Dec with Sync and Sirius. The vehicle had travel link with the sirius radio. I wanted a Nav system installed. The dealer installed an 09' Nav system. The sync works, the nav works, the sat radio works, the travel link works. Only difference is that they added one of those external magnetic roof mounted antennas. Of course as soon as i got there i told them that it would not fly like that. They ordered another factory GPS antenna for the rear of the roof with 2 connectors. One for Nav and one for Sirius...

Hope that helps!

DO YOU KNOW WHICH NAVIGATION SYSTEM THEY PUT IN. THE SYSTEM THEY PUT IN HAS GIVEN ME ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. WAS IT THE "FACTORY INSTALLED" TYPE? THEY INSTALLED A PIONEER NAV SYSTEM AND THE SYNC WORKED AWFUL, THE SIRIUS WASN'T HOOKED UP AND THE IPOD DIDN'T WORK.

• 2 weeks later...
DO YOU KNOW WHICH NAVIGATION SYSTEM THEY PUT IN. THE SYSTEM THEY PUT IN HAS GIVEN ME ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. WAS IT THE "FACTORY INSTALLED" TYPE? THEY INSTALLED A PIONEER NAV SYSTEM AND THE SYNC WORKED AWFUL, THE SIRIUS WASN'T HOOKED UP AND THE IPOD DIDN'T WORK.

The Pioneer is the 2008 system, so that's probably why it doesn't work in your 2009.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to upgrade my audio system to the Navi system sometime soon. I asked my dealer if it will be the Factory Navi system, as that's what it sounds like will work the best with Sync and BT.

BE CAREFUL. THE DEALERSHIP HAD TOLD ME THE SAME THING BUT I HAVE NOW FOUND OUT THAT A 2009 NAVIGATION SYSTEM WILL NOT FIT INTO AN ALREADY BUILT 2009 FORD EDGE. THE INTERIOR WHERE THE SYSTEM SITS WAS CHANGED IN PRODUCTION OF THE CAR. MY DEALERSHIP WAS TOTALLY LYING TO ME AND NOW I AM TRYING TO GET MY MONEY BACK FROM THEM AND HAVE SOMEONE ELSE INSTALL THE 2008 FACTORY INSTALLED NAVIGATION SYSTEM WHICH WILL FIT THE 2009 FORD EDGE. SOUNDS SCREWY BUT THAT IS WHAT IS GOING ON. MY DEALERSHIP INSTALLED A Pioneer AVIC-F900BT Navigation System WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH SYNC. THEY WERE SO BLATANTLY BAD THAT THEY DIDN'T EVEN CONNECT THE SIRIUS SATELLITE WHICH WAS SUPPOSE TO COME WITH THE CAR. :angry:

BE CAREFUL. THE DEALERSHIP HAD TOLD ME THE SAME THING BUT I HAVE NOW FOUND OUT THAT A 2009 NAVIGATION SYSTEM WILL NOT FIT INTO AN ALREADY BUILT 2009 FORD EDGE. THE INTERIOR WHERE THE SYSTEM SITS WAS CHANGED IN PRODUCTION OF THE CAR. MY DEALERSHIP WAS TOTALLY LYING TO ME AND NOW I AM TRYING TO GET MY MONEY BACK FROM THEM AND HAVE SOMEONE ELSE INSTALL THE 2008 FACTORY INSTALLED NAVIGATION SYSTEM WHICH WILL FIT THE 2009 FORD EDGE. SOUNDS SCREWY BUT THAT IS WHAT IS GOING ON. MY DEALERSHIP INSTALLED A Pioneer AVIC-F900BT Navigation System WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH SYNC. THEY WERE SO BLATANTLY BAD THAT THEY DIDN'T EVEN CONNECT THE SIRIUS SATELLITE WHICH WAS SUPPOSE TO COME WITH THE CAR. :angry:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? The Pioneer is the 2008 system. The SYNC in your 2009 is likely set up to work with the 2009 Xanavi system, so it probably won't work with the Pioneer, whether the dealer installs it or someone else and it definitely will not work with the Travel Link.

There are two 2009 Xanavi systems, one with an 8in screen used in the Flex, MKS and a few others, and the smaller 6.5in that is used in the Edge. Are you saying the 6.5in Xanavi will not fit in your 2009 Edge? I find that hard to believe since it was made specifically to go in vehicles that weren't changing the interior in 2009.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say? The Pioneer is the 2008 system. The SYNC in your 2009 is likely set up to work with the 2009 Xanavi system, so it probably won't work with the Pioneer, whether the dealer installs it or someone else and it definitely will not work with the Travel Link.

There are two 2009 Xanavi systems, one with an 8in screen used in the Flex, MKS and a few others, and the smaller 6.5in that is used in the Edge. Are you saying the 6.5in Xanavi will not fit in your 2009 Edge? I find that hard to believe since it was made specifically to go in vehicles that weren't changing the interior in 2009.

The fit is the same only differents is that 09 deck is a sony not pioneer an sirius is built in not a seperate module.There may be a wiring conflict because if you had a cd player with sirius you would have a module in the trunk an you don't need that.The correct Antenna is made to do both approx 190cdn.So if it is a pioneer in your 09 its totally wrong...... Does your steering wheel controls work with it ?

Edited by Dymes

Is there a non intrusive method for determinng if the Nav unit is the 2008 pioneer or the 2009 Sony?

On the top it says pioneer with model number 8T4T..... the sony has something totally different on in I don't have one infront of me to tell to but can find out this week if you like M/T.

Went into the dealer today and spoke with a third-party person they use to install navi systems. He says that the factory 2009 navi system can be installed, but he will need to add a second antenna to the roof, ugh. That's a small consolation, though, if everything else would work like steering wheel controls etc.

My sales person told me it could be upgraded no problem before I bought the car. Now it sounds like a hassle. WTF.

Went into the dealer today and spoke with a third-party person they use to install navi systems. He says that the factory 2009 navi system can be installed, but he will need to add a second antenna to the roof, ugh. That's a small consolation, though, if everything else would work like steering wheel controls etc.

My sales person told me it could be upgraded no problem before I bought the car. Now it sounds like a hassle. WTF.

Hi Night_Owl. :D It will not work correctly (including the steering wheel controls). You will not have every last bit of factory functionality with an added Nav System. Adding the system is just not that easy.

Unfortunately, some Salespeople will tell you anything it takes to sell the vehicle and yours did.

If anything good comes out of this thread, it is that anyone who wants the Factory Nav realizes that they need to purchase their vehicle already equipped with Factory Navigation from the Factory.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I have a 2009 Edge though ... does that make a difference when installing a 2009 Navi system?

Hi Night_Owl. :D What I can tell you is this: All stories I have heard from those who have tried always report problems or non functional features. There also seem to be numerous problems with getting SYNC to work properly when the NAV system is retrofitted.

To my knowledge, there are no trustworthy or verifiable cases of anyone getting it to work with every feature functional. There always seems to be one problem or another.

If any other forum members have information to the contrary, I am soon they will reply soon.

Edited by bbf2530

Wow I am so bummed to hear that. Thanks for the honest feedback though. Is there any recourse I can take against the dealer? I feel like they should sell me a different vehicle now.

Hi Night_Owl. :D Well, you can try. Do you have anything in writing where the Dealer reps state that it would/could be installed in your vehicle with full functionality? If you do, you are in better shape than if you do not.

If you do not, all you can go to the Dealership and speak to the Sales Manager or General Manager about what you were told by the Salesperson (do not even bother speaking to the Salesperson). Express your dissatisfaction with the fact that it is not possible for them to do what they promised (and have it work exactly like the Factory Installed system).

Keep us updated.

Hi Night_Owl. :D Well, you can try. Do you have anything in writing where the Dealer reps state that it would/could be installed in your vehicle with full functionality? If you do, you are in better shape than if you do not.

If you do not, all you can go to the Dealership and speak to the Sales Manager or General Manager about what you were told by the Salesperson (do not even bother speaking to the Salesperson). Express your dissatisfaction with the fact that it is not possible for them to do what they promised (and have it work exactly like the Factory Installed system).

Keep us updated.

I talk to a tech at the plant today an he said that it can be done.I'm stuck too by friday he is going to flash my set up at work an he said everything should work.If he cann't do it then I know there is no chance this is his job !!

Dymes,

That's encouraging to hear that a Ford tech thinks it can be done. I wish I lived in Ontario so I could head out there and have the work done, but I am afraid its a bit of a drive from Los Angeles. :shift:

Please let us know what you find out.

I'll post about my experiences with my situation after each turn. I've emailed Ford corporate asking if it can be done, and the guy who works for the dealership should get back to me tomorrow. More to come.

Hi all,

I spoke with the person who does audio/ navi installs for my Ford dealer and he said, after some research, that it is possible to install the 2009 factory navi system after the fact without losing any functionality. He did say that there would need to be a lot of rewiring and that the steering wheel controls would need to be replaced. A new antenna would need to be installed as well.

All in all it sounded like a major hassle, and it would cost $3250. Ouch.

I decided to pass and I will buy a Garmin Nuvi 885T instead. Its got a voice activated system, that according to reviews, actually works really well. It also has all the other features I want in a Navi but for WAY less that what the upgrade would have cost.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Night_Owl

• 2 months later...

i am new to the forum and booked a ford edge limited just recently waiting for delivery next week. I am just wondering, how much does navigation cost and if I have the navigation installed will I lose sync.

your answers will be greatly appreciated..

i am new to the forum and booked a ford edge limited just recently waiting for delivery next week. I am just wondering, how much does navigation cost and if I have the navigation installed will I lose sync.

your answers will be greatly appreciated..

The dealer installed into my 08 Limited already with Sync, a factory Nav , every thing works perfectly. the cost was $2200.00. I love it.

If you go for it, make sure you get in writing that includes Sirius radio (that is if you want it).

The dealer installed into my 08 Limited already with Sync, a factory Nav , every thing works perfectly. the cost was $2200.00. I love it.

If you go for it, make sure you get in writing that includes Sirius radio (that is if you want it).

thanks for the reply, i live in the uae (dubai), is it possible to order the unit and get it installed here, as it costs about 5000 dollar equivalent to get it installed here, and its not the factory nav they install, its a third party navigation done by ford. i have tried ebay with no luck. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

thanks for the reply, i live in the uae (dubai), is it possible to order the unit and get it installed here, as it costs about 5000 dollar equivalent to get it installed here, and its not the factory nav they install, its a third party navigation done by ford. i have tried ebay with no luck. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Sory, I have no idea........