Factory Trailer Hitch

I just bought a new 2022 Edge Titanium and it came with the trailer hitch option. I noticed that the bottom (gray) part of the rear bumper was not attached to anything and flapped at hiway speeds. I called the dealer and was told that this is the way it works when this option is installed.  WHAT?  I can’t believe Ford would design it this way. Has anyone else had any experience with this?  Right now I have it secured with cable ties. Ugh. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, absent feedback from other GEN 2 Edge owners, I'll offer the results of my online research.

Edge Workshop Manuals from model years 2015-to-2022 show a panel, the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield, which attaches to the bottom of the bumper cover with six screws, extends forward then upward between the muffler and the bumper bar or factory hitch bar, with the top leg screwed to the underside of the cargo area floor structure.

The following Workshop Manual images have the pictured Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield outlined in yellow...

1164622179_UndersideUpwardMuffler-CenterShield-HitchTube-Highlighted.thumb.jpg.936c988ae283ced098e8fe2d3d3697e9.jpg

1892244545_MufflertoCenterShield-Highlighted.thumb.jpg.2b51114623bcbede9dab7eec7540f809.jpg

1111565593_PartialMufflertoPartialShield-Highlighted.thumb.jpg.4d2b81de42be33dd1170f5e42914e8d4.jpg

406625469_BumperBeamwCenterShield-Highlighted.thumb.jpg.cf972e07aa8a775dbef89e218a79e57d.jpg

856199945_HitchtoCenterShield-Highlighted.thumb.jpg.53d3c44f9c1e629c5a66dfea5006c89f.jpg

I searched online OEM parts-sellers and Ford's own FordParts.com, and no reference to the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield exists, including among illustrations of rear bumper cover buildups.

I then pulled VINs for all GEN 2 model years from Edge's equipped with the Tow Package currently offered for sale online, and for each VIN, I ran Historical Vehicle Bill of Material reports, which list parts numbers of components specifically installed on each vehicle. Again, no reference to the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield existed.

If your zip-tie tethers to your rear bumper cover prove unsatisfying, you could take the Workshop Manual document from the PDF download link below, to your local dealer's Parts Department to see if their resources show the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield.

Rear Bumper Cover - Removal and Installation - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

As an alternative to this potential ghost part that escaped removal from GEN 2 Workshop Manual illustrations, you could fashion a V-shaped brace out of sheet plastic or other suitable material, like the brace molded with a live-hinge into the bottom edge or rear bumper covers of GEN 1+ Edges, which attaches with a single screw to the underside of the cargo area floor, between the muffler and the bumper bar or hitch bar, which is a fairly compact area...

1415475606_GEN1BodytoBumperCoverBrace.thumb.jpg.e04bcba89fabfe5c67983ecbe1bce4b5.jpg

Aloha!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

2021, ST, nothing flaps. Trailer tail light hookup wasn't seated in holder and dangling, but took 5 seconds to put back in place. Take it in, tell the to correct. If they refuse, contact Ford Customer Svc. I am assuming Ford option, not after market add on.

Edited by MLTEdge
  • Like 2

What a coincidence, I just put some zip-tie straps on my 22 ST today.  There is no rear bumper cover shield on these vehicles.  I went to the dealer when I noticed how the bottom isn't attached to anything, yet there are 4 holes there that look like they should clip to something.  They had 4 or 5 new ST models with trailer hitch, and every one of them was the same.  I can imagine at higher speeds this thing is just flapping in the wind.  At least the ties will stop that somewhat.  If you just touch your foot on the bottom of the bumper cover, you can move it back and forth several inches and even the fake chrome tailpipe extenders move like crazy.  The dealer also told me this is how they are supposed to be.  I saw this topic on the Ford Edge ST Nation Facebook page.  Evidently they are all like this.  Very poor workmanship for a $50k plus vehicle.  

Here's the link to the facebook page.  The post is from July 2nd regarding loose rear bumper cover.

Ford Edge ST Nation | Facebook

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Haz said:

So, absent feedback from other GEN 2 Edge owners, I'll offer the results of my online research.

Edge Workshop Manuals from model years 2015-to-2022 show a panel, the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield, which attaches to the bottom of the bumper cover with six screws, extends forward then upward between the muffler and the bumper bar or factory hitch bar, with the top leg screwed to the underside of the cargo area floor structure.

The following Workshop Manual images have the pictured Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield outlined in yellow... 

I searched online OEM parts-sellers and Ford's own FordParts.com, and no reference to the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield exists, including among illustrations of rear bumper cover buildups.

I then pulled VINs for all GEN 2 model years from Edge's equipped with the Tow Package currently offered for sale online, and for each VIN, I ran Historical Vehicle Bill of Material reports, which list parts numbers of components specifically installed on each vehicle. Again, no reference to the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield existed.

If your zip-tie tethers to your rear bumper cover prove unsatisfying, you could take the Workshop Manual document from the PDF download link below, to your local dealer's Parts Department to see if their resources show the Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield.

Rear Bumper Cover - Removal and Installation - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

As an alternative to this potential ghost part that escaped removal from GEN 2 Workshop Manual illustrations, you could fashion a V-shaped brace out of sheet plastic or other suitable material, like the brace molded with a live-hinge into the bottom edge or rear bumper covers of GEN 1+ Edges, which attaches with a single screw to the underside of the cargo area floor, between the muffler and the bumper bar or hitch bar, which is a fairly compact area...

Aloha!

That's interesting, I installed the Ford hitch on my 2019 and reinstalled the all the bumper cover shields underneath.  They fit with the hitch in place, but the mounting tab for the trailer wiring harness sticks down and was interfering with the felt cover.  I had to trim it to fit there, maybe a 2"x3" square.

I'll try to remember to get some pictures tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Success!

Service part numbers for missing Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields for GEN 2 Edges are...

Without Trailer Tow = KT4Z-5811778-C - FordParts.com listing link

1801926060_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithoutTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG3.thumb.jpg.f7cb55e1071914aa6569781d467c302c.jpg

443609153_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithoutTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG2.thumb.jpg.90c52253ffdb065445ab470612483481.jpg

388556981_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithoutTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG1.thumb.jpg.94be098885472e6d6bb6e59bf9df6a9e.jpg

With Trailer Tow = KT4Z-5811778-D - FordParts,com listing link

2090350124_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG3.thumb.jpg.a141bb80a13f7952f733f849b4ac889a.jpg

1833604074_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG2.thumb.jpg.42c7aa5f6ddb0fcff66b5031d4c83c31.jpg

689656975_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG1.thumb.jpg.d63d065e22e7d68fc21bdfb00eea0cd1.jpg

For cost reference, FordParts listings with Hawaii pricing...

63894357_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithoutTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-HawaiiPricing.thumb.jpg.d942235ea4ca691ef31d0a27f1cf0e3e.jpg

119331187_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-HawaiiPricing.thumb.jpg.fc245b534f5588f337b5b243b5e23de3.jpg

For cost reference, FordParts listings with Mainland pricing...

1397713858_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithoutTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-MainlandPricing.thumb.jpg.3438aecb8d3954b4f4212896be50db10.jpg

516241538_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-MainlandPricing.thumb.jpg.c22452858ca16573f8356c760b65cf87.jpg

Be aware that many other online sellers of Ford OEM parts offer these parts at various prices, so search around if you're looking for the best deal.

Regarding the question of when Ford stopped installing Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields on Edges, I did another ten-vehicle (small sample size) survey using VINs from Titanium & ST models listed for sale online, and then pulled HVBoM reports on each to see what vehicles were built with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields.

2021 Edges built on or before the third week of May, 2021 were fitted with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields.

2021 Edges built on or after the fourth week of May, 2021 and all 2022 Edges were not fitted with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields.

No clarity on whether supply chain issues contributed to this, though the parts are labeled majority USA content...

22351891_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-PackagingLabel.jpg.86a190a33842f775272394fe54bd9159.jpg

Much gratitude to chipdog4 for commenting on the part's composite construction , which put me onto the underbody shields grouping containing Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kclonn said:

I live in Hawaii and they won’t ship here. I found one that would but shipping was $600. I think I’ll get it from the dealer here. 

Do you know if it just clips on with those push in clips, or you have to take the bumper cover off?  There's plenty of room in there.  If it involves taking the bumper cover off there's no way I would try to do that.

The Edge Workshop Manual shows action involving the Air Deflector/Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield occurring before removal of the Bumper Cover, so taking the Bumper Cover off is not necessary in order to install the missing part on your Edge. 

PDF download link to Workshop Manual document: Rear Bumper Cover - Removal and Installation - 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Additionally, the Edge Workshop Manual shows two different sizes of screws -- not push pins or clips -- are used to fasten the Air Deflector/Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield to the bottom of the bumper cover...

1231624675_ScrewsinStep7illustrationfromRearBumperCover-RemovalandInstallation-2022EdgeWorkshopManualdocument.thumb.jpg.53dda4012369cd5b7929d9a12ea44e5a.jpg

The number of screws needed depends upon whether you are installing the 'Without Trailer Tow' (6 total screws, 2+4) or 'With Trailer Tow' (4 total screws, 2+2) version of the Air Deflector/Rear Center Bumper Cover Shield.

Also notice that the likely screw hole (green arrow) which allows attachment to the underside of the cargo floor, and the oblong holes (yellow arrows) in the tabs at the left & right ends of the panel. You may want to look and see if fasteners already are already in place for those attachment points, or, if you'll need to buy additional hardware, either from where you purchase the panel or if you buy (approximately) equivalent fasteners from your local hardware store...

Without Trailer Tow

406926707_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithoutTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG3-Highlighted.thumb.jpg.934f788389acf9a37e18873120d497ea.jpg

With Trailer Tow

1399464004_GEN2EdgeCenterRearBumperAirDeflector-WithTrailerTow-FordPartsListing-IMG3Highlighted.thumb.jpg.048f42614006cfaec720748506a57523.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

Thanks Haz, that is great information.  I guess the bigger question is why did Ford stop putting this rear center bumper cover shield on the vehicles in 2021 and for all the 22s?  It doesn't appear they couldn't get the part and just left it off because they are available for ordering.  Were they left off for a specific reason, such as the hot exhaust pipe is too close and could cause a fire?  I just know there had to be engineers looking at this and there was a decision made to stop putting them in.  I'm not sure it was a good decision because this thing is very loose on the bottom, but I'm hesitant to put something on that the engineers saw fit to leave off.

Yes, the why of this would be good to know.  However, as it is, that rear flap is a big scoop for road spray and dirt that will now go in all the wrong places. They call it a deflector for a reason. I will give it a shot as soon as I can get one. Not sure how quick that will be, but I will let you all know how it goes. 

Edited by Kclonn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kclonn said:

Yes, the why if this would be good to know.  However, as it is, that rear flap is a big scoop for road spray and dirt that will now go in all the wrong places. They call it a deflector for a reason. I will give it a shot as soon as I can get one. Not sure how quick that will be, but I will let you all know how it goes. 

Yes, please let us know how it installs when you get it.  I'm still thinking of going to the dealer and letting them know it is missing and see what they say, but sure it will be the usual "they're all like that" BS.

• Like 2

PDF download link... TSB 18-2055 - Hands-free Liftgate - Liftgate Opens-Closes When Contacting Rear Bumper With Key Present - Built On Or Before 15-Dec-2017.pdf

Issue: Some 2015-2017 Edge vehicles built on or before 10-Aug-2017 and 2016-2018 MKX vehicles built on or before 15-Dec-2017, equipped with a power liftgate and the hands-free liftgate activation feature may exhibit the liftgate opening or closing when a rear door is slammed shut, or the rear fascia is contacted such as kneeling or resting a foot on the fascia while the key is present.

Service action: Replace Hands-Free Liftgate Module and...

Description    
2015-2017 Edge: Separate And Secure Wires Includes Time To Drill Hole Remove And Install Bumper Cover    
2016-2018 MKX With Factory Trailer Tow: Separate And Secure Wires Includes Time To Remove And Install Bumper Cover     
2016-2018 MKX Without Factory Trailer Tow: Separate And Secure Wires    

Good luck!

• Like 2

The "why they left this off" is simple. The corporate bean counters told engineering to cut $x off the product.

This was an easy cut. No one is going to notice this on the showroom floor (if ever).

They do this all production year long. Usually its a vendor change, but bigger savings just to drop an unneeded part.

Nice find Haz!

Crazy to see how much they cut out on the one with the tow package.  I had to make a small cut for the wiring harness and that was it.  The hitch does contact the cover and presses it down about a 1/4" right below the receiver tube.

And someone asked about taking the bumper off to mount this, you should be able to get it in there with the bumper on.  From the photos above, there's no mounts above the muffler either, just one on each side.

31bb611a57264c53997556e851d6a57c.jpeg

76c30387604f4b44a3dbf0d3e1f69aa1.jpeg

91fe77bda5114724b945ecdf23b3c239.jpeg

bbe3b282ca834a60bb489e4bb316afb8.jpeg

img_7372.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"

2021 Edges built on or before the third week of May, 2021 were fitted with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields.

2021 Edges built on or after the fourth week of May, 2021 and all 2022 Edges were not fitted with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields"

Amazing research. Checked mine, shield in place. Manufactured March 2021. Bought in Dec. I guess that's why the dealer gave me a deal, had it too long. Small town, guess he doesn't sell many STs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MLTEdge said:

"

2021 Edges built on or before the third week of May, 2021 were fitted with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields.

2021 Edges built on or after the fourth week of May, 2021 and all 2022 Edges were not fitted with Rear Center Bumper Cover Shields"

Amazing research. Checked mine, shield in place. Manufactured March 2021. Bought in Dec. I guess that's why the dealer gave me a deal, had it too long. Small town, guess he doesn't sell many STs.

I have a 22 and it is completely unacceptable without this shield (Ford also calls it a deflector).  The bottom of the rear bumper cover is completely loose and flaps in the wind on the freeway.  I went to my dealer as mine has less than 1500 miles.  They had the same info MLTEdge posted.  I had them order the part.  They agree it is ridiculous it is missing and have had other complaints.  They said they would "help me" as much as possible with the install.  Hopefully not too much as the info from Haz above indicates they can install without removing the bumper cover.  

• Like 1

These are the challenges of buying a product on the verge of discontinuance.

Gen 1 to Gen 1+ = upgrades;  Gen 1+ to Gen 2 = upgrades;  Gen 2 into sunset = de-contenting.

According to the 2022 Order Guide, the glove box light was also deleted.

I don't know the threshold of owner complaints necessary to trigger a whispered, informal Customer Satisfaction Program, but if comments here and on other Edge forums are an indicator, Ford owes late-build 2021 & all 2022 owners a no-cost air deflector installation, due to the resulting noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) effects root-caused by the missing part.

Good luck!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cabrown451 said:

This is just weird ,I have a 2022 ST Line 1 week old and noticed this today and was wondering why, now I know it is just ford cheapness ,they also left the hood insulator not installed too .Thanks for the ebay link 

Yea, that was the first part I added. Mostly to protect hood paint from heat. They left off engine cover as well, but I like seeing the engine so I can notice possible issues and make sure no critters hiding inside. They love making beds under those nice warm pretty engine covers 

• Like 1