Ambient lighting won't stay on

I have a 22 ST that I've only had 2 months.  Every time I turn the ambient lights on that show up light blue on the floors and console areas, the next time I start the car, they are turned off in the Ambient Lights settings in the Sync 4A touchscreen.  I noticed they weren't on last night while driving, turned them on and they worked fine.  Got in the car this morning and they were turned off in the settings again.  Seems odd to me that the setting would turn off by itself.  Doesn't do it every day.  I've had the setting stay on for 3 days before, but it always eventually turns itself off.  Any ideas?  

Probably a software bug. Something similar happened several years ago when ambient lights would revert to the default color every few days, the fix was a software update to the then MyFord Touch (Sync 2) center screen. It is better to report it so that Ford becomes aware of it.

• Like 1

From the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

Ambient Lighting

The ambient lighting subsystem consists of the BCM , and the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) located within the floor console, front and rear door panels, instrument panel and front and rear footwell areas. The ambient lighting is operational when the ignition is in any state other than OFF (the exception is when it is used in conjunction with the illuminated entry/exit features), the headlamps are on and the outside ambient light level is low. The BCM provides the voltage to the ambient lighting system, while the touchscreen ( FDIM ) is used to cycle through the different color variations or turn the ambient lighting feature on or off. A LIN circuit is routed from the BCM to all of the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). There are 3 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) (red, blue and green) housed within each LED assembly. By illuminating various color combinations, the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) are able to produce different colors of ambient light.

The APIM uses software to monitor the user interface from the touchscreen. Based on the ambient lighting system selections made using the touchscreen, the APIM sends ambient light color request and ambient light intensity request messages over the communication network for color and brightness settings. The BCM retains the last color and brightness setting between uses.

I looked for Ambient Lighting TSBs and SSMs, but there are none.  Perhaps the next OTA update will correct it.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

1 hour ago, Will2U said:

One thing that does annoy me is that heated and cooled seats DON'T reset themselves. 

I remember when people complained when it DID reset. Mine was like that until a Firmware update to the FCIM made the heated and cooled seats remember the last position. Seems it is a feature not liked by all. They should make it user selectable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Haz said:

From the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

Ambient Lighting

The ambient lighting subsystem consists of the BCM , and the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) located within the floor console, front and rear door panels, instrument panel and front and rear footwell areas. The ambient lighting is operational when the ignition is in any state other than OFF (the exception is when it is used in conjunction with the illuminated entry/exit features), the headlamps are on and the outside ambient light level is low. The BCM provides the voltage to the ambient lighting system, while the touchscreen ( FDIM ) is used to cycle through the different color variations or turn the ambient lighting feature on or off. A LIN circuit is routed from the BCM to all of the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). There are 3 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) (red, blue and green) housed within each LED assembly. By illuminating various color combinations, the Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) are able to produce different colors of ambient light.

The APIM uses software to monitor the user interface from the touchscreen. Based on the ambient lighting system selections made using the touchscreen, the APIM sends ambient light color request and ambient light intensity request messages over the communication network for color and brightness settings. The BCM retains the last color and brightness setting between uses.

I looked for Ambient Lighting TSBs and SSMs, but there are none.  Perhaps the next OTA update will correct it.

Good luck!

Thanks Haz.  One thing though, at least for the 22 model year, the ambient lighting is only blue.  I've seen people that have verified that in other forums as well.  There's no setting to change the colors like we had before.  Not a big issue, just a little annoying that it won't hold the setting.  By the way, I never could get the Bezel Diagnostics to work with any of the button combinations suggested, even the one straight from the Ford procedures you provided.  

• Like 1

An online resource for dealership sales reps indicates Ice Blue as the only Ambient Light color on 2022 & 2021 Edges...

865441002_2022EdgeAmbientLightingFeatureDescription-DealerSalesRepOnlineReference.thumb.jpg.3c5bd403756550f66b305aaf054ded4d.jpg

...and it shows 2020 Edge being the last model year having multi-color Ambient Light selection...

150044915_2020EdgeAmbientLightingFeatureDescription-DealerSalesRepOnlineReference.thumb.jpg.5ff040e2314273f5596672be65fabbd2.jpg

According to Helm Inc, Ford has not yet released to them the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual.  Hopefully, they are correcting issues like the Ambient Light feature in the 2022 Edge edition, which Helm will eventually market on a CD.

Omar302's encouragement to report the unreliable 'On' Ambient Lights setting to your dealership Service department is worthwhile. If they feed the issue's existence back up the chain, through the Technical Assistance Center, a corrective software update could be developed.

As an example -- and for any GEN 1+ Edge/MKX owners coming to this discussion with a comparable issue -- below is a PDF download link to TSB 14-0175...

TSB 14-0175 - 2011-2014 Edge & MKX - Ambient Lighting Defaults to White or Ice Blue After Cycling Ignition Switch.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have experienced this same issue with my 2022 Ford Edge ST (and have been completed frustrated, especially given that we also no longer are able to change colors), but there may be a light at the end of the tunnel...no pun intended. It seems, at least for now, the Ambient Lighting feature has remained activated since I received my Ford Power-Up 3.5.2 update. I'll continue to monitor it and keep my fingers crossed.