SSM 51011 - 2018-2022 Edge (Not ST)/MKX/Nautilus + Other Models - 8F35 - Transmission Slip On Acceleration From A Stop When Hot Less Than 5,000 Miles (8,000 Km) - Built On Or Before 16-Mar-2022

Haz

SSM 51011   Various Vehicles - 8F35 - Transmission Slip On Acceleration From A Stop When Hot Less Than 5,000 Miles (8,000 Km) - Built On Or Before 16-Mar-2022

Some 2018-2022 Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with the 8F35 transmission built on or before 16-Mar-2022 may exhibit transmission slip during acceleration from a stop when hot. This may be due damaged internal case half pump seals (7N265). To correct the condition, remove the transmission and replace the internal case half pump seals. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, I just looked at my window sticker and guess what day mine was built on?  March 16, 2022, of course.  I swear I have noticed this on acceleration from a stop, and it is beastly hot here in Phoenix in the summer.  Should I report this to the dealer?  The last thing I want is the dealer screwing up my new vehicle by doing a major repair.  They always mess up something. What does it mean "Less than 5,000 miles."  Does that mean it will go away with more miles.  

If you sense transmission slippage, it would be worth you having your dealership's Service Advisor and/or Transmission Technician test drive it. 

This could be a costly repair that I expect you would be very happy to not pay for after your Edge's warranty expires.

I presume the 5,000 miles means the slippage caused by these damaged seals presents itself early in the vehicle's usage and that it requires this repair to eliminate the slippage.

If it's truly slipping, you already have a problem that the properly trained transmission tech can correct. 

This Special Service Message was just released by Ford via the Professional Technician System website as an OASIS Message, so you may need to explain it to them...

561949828_SSM51011.jpg.11a8700fced9e317af7ce2e74c617638.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 1

I was out a lot in the heat today, nearly 110 her in PHX.  I tried a harder acceleration from a dead stop and didn't notice it "slipping" so to speak, but more of a bump when it shifted out of 1st gear.  I do know that for the 22 Edge's they blocked out 2nd gear from the normal automatic shift pattern.  I have always chalked up that somewhat rough (although rough is really too extreme from what I'm feeling.....just not as smooth as the other shifts) shift to the fact it is shifting from 1st to 3rd.  You can get into 2nd if you use the paddle shifters.  I know there are other threads talking about whey they deleted the 2nd gear from the automatic shifts.   So Haz, does this mean every vehicle has this problem?  The message says the vehicles "may exhibit transmission slip."  If the half pump seals are bad, then I would think ALL would exhibit that.  If there is a recall, this would be a lot of vehicles from 2018 to 2022.  I actually had to have the transmission replaced in my 2017 Fusion under warranty, and they had to remove the engine to do it.  

Edited by Davidoo

1 hour ago, Davidoo said:

I was out a lot in the heat today, nearly 110 her in PHX.  I tried a harder acceleration from a dead stop and didn't notice it "slipping" so to speak, but more of a bump when it shifted out of 1st gear.  I do know that for the 22 Edge's they blocked out 2nd gear from the normal automatic shift pattern.  I have always chalked up that somewhat rough (although rough is really too extreme from what I'm feeling.....just not as smooth as the other shifts) shift to the fact it is shifting from 1st to 3rd.  You can get into 2nd if you use the paddle shifters.  I know there are other threads talking about whey they deleted the 2nd gear from the automatic shifts.   So Haz, does this mean every vehicle has this problem?  The message says the vehicles "may exhibit transmission slip."  If the half pump seals are bad, then I would think ALL would exhibit that.  If there is a recall, this would be a lot of vehicles from 2018 to 2022.  I actually had to have the transmission replaced in my 2017 Fusion under warranty, and they had to remove the engine to do it.  

I believe you have an ST, right? If so then you have a completely different transmission. The transmission reffed to in @Haz post is used in non ST models (with the 2.0L 4 cyl). It is also different than what was used on the Fusion. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:16 PM, omar302 said:

I believe you have an ST, right? If so then you have a completely different transmission. The transmission reffed to in @Haz post is used in non ST models (with the 2.0L 4 cyl). It is also different than what was used on the Fusion. 

Yes, I have the ST.  I didn't see anywhere in the SSM where it said it wasn't for the ST, but I really appreciate you and Haz letting me know.  That is a relief, but still bad for those who don't have the ST.  Hard to believe this could be impacting vehicles for 4 years.  

Again, thanks to all for confirming the ST doesn't have this transmission in question.  If that is the case then, the ST transmission IS NOT the one where they cut out 2nd gear in the automatic shift?  From what I can tell from the paddle shifters, the one I have in my 22 ST has only 7 gears.  

The 2021 and 2022 ST are called 7 speeds. In reality they reprogrammed them to skip 2nd, as it was causing a shudder or poor shift. Solved tons of issues. So yes, its a 7 speed by nature, but actually has 8 gears in the tranny.

2021 Ford Edge ST Gains New 7-Speed Automatic Transmission (fordauthority.com)

Edited by MLTEdge
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MLTEdge said:

The 2021 and 2022 ST are called 7 speeds. In reality they reprogrammed them to skip 2nd, as it was causing a shudder or poor shift. Solved tons of issues. So yes, its a 7 speed by nature, but actually has 8 gears in the tranny.

2021 Ford Edge ST Gains New 7-Speed Automatic Transmission (fordauthority.com)

OK, I see then.  When I paddle shift (which isn't often because it seems silly) I can go through gears 1 to 7.  So, I guess that 1 is really the old 1, then 2 through 7 were formerly 3 through 8?  I thought that since I could paddle shift and get to 2nd, that it was the "hidden" 2nd gear, but they must have removed it from even being accessible at all, not even manually.

1 hour ago, Davidoo said:

OK, I see then.  When I paddle shift (which isn't often because it seems silly) I can go through gears 1 to 7.  So, I guess that 1 is really the old 1, then 2 through 7 were formerly 3 through 8?  I thought that since I could paddle shift and get to 2nd, that it was the "hidden" 2nd gear, but they must have removed it from even being accessible at all, not even manually.

That is it.

If you like to know more, the Lincoln Nautilus, models with the same Engine/Transmission, still retains the 8-Speed function as per this article. Maybe someone with a 2021 Nautilus 2.7L can confirm it shifts manually 1-8.

Furthermore, this 8-speed transmission is actually an upgrade to the pervious 6-speed used in 2015-2018 Sport models by adding 2 more gears. The 2nd (which is now disabled) and the 8th which is an additional overdrive ratio.

image.png

• Like 1