Eight speed?.

I have a new Edge Titanium. I am confused about the transmission. On the window sticker and all the ads, it said I have an 8 speed tranny. If I go into sport mode it shows the gears as it shifts. But it never goes over 7. I recall someone saying that they had eliminated one gear and reprogrammed the tranny. Does anyone have any real data on this?

1 hour ago, Kclonn said:

If I go into sport mode it shows the gears as it shifts. But it never goes over 7.

Do you mean when put in Sport mode without using the paddles (if equipped)? If yes, then that is supposedly normal as the highest ratio is not used in "Sport" mode. However, if you have paddle shifters, try to upshift while in "7" and it should manually upshift. 

The issue of Ford eliminating one gear is related to the ST model with the V6 Ecoboost 2.7L. That transmission is completely different than the one used in other models. 

On another note, this is the first time someone mentions that Sport mode now shows the current gear shift. It has long been requested, but was not implemented. Previously, on the Edge it would only show the current gear if in manual shift mode.

• Like 3

A Ford resource for dealership sales representatives offers this description of 8-speed transmission features...

image.png.ae357026a1acd91831eb54b93b89fb36.png

image.png.587f2557b29e0b285bd38ba56908d9e0.png

The 2022 Edge Workshop Manual describes the Edge ST transmission this way...

This automatic transmission is a 8-speed transmission with electronic shift control. This transmission may also be described as a 7-speed transmission. For the 7-speed applications, 2nd gear is not utilized.

Good luck!

On 8/22/2022 at 7:53 AM, Haz said:

This automatic transmission is a 8-speed transmission with electronic shift control. This transmission may also be described as a 7-speed transmission. For the 7-speed applications, 2nd gear is not utilized.

Well, that's clear as mud. Another clear and concise example of Ford's outstanding description of exactly what equipment they put in their cars. 

It was my decision to provide the two sentences -- and short answers are not usually my 'want'.

I included it only to confirm Kclonn's & omar302's observations on the ST's transmission.

If fault exists, it is mine, not Ford's.

Good luck!