RESONATOR DELETE OPTIONS for 2.7EB

Xtra

Did a little research last night on cross pipes while thinking about a resonator delete . I ran across three mufflers that have internal cross pipes and one with an H pipe. 

Starting in order of last choice to first choice . This is just my opinion and not based on anything else. I also do not have all the dimensions on any of them.  So not sure if they will fit in the space that the resonator was in. 

In third place is the Dynomax. Dynomax come in third place because it has one pipe that has straight flow through and the second pipe  looks like it is cut in half and is just butted up to the other pipe. All the exhaust gas from that pipe  has to pass through all those small holes as the straight pipe appears to be not cut on it's sides. Thus making  it not a true X pipe. If the sides are cutout making it a true X pipe then I would reconsider. 

DYNOMAX.thumb.PNG.44d5f811755a0ec958e7400001053de9.PNG

In second pace is the Magnaflow TRU-X 

This looks like a good choice for a quieter muffler but,  it looks like it has two pipes in and out that connect to a mesh cone shaped screen and again is not a true cross pipe. 

MAGNAFLOW.thumb.PNG.9d5d5cf998d96e35dc8ed6e4da2dd997.PNG

In first place and my choice is the Pypes X=Box this design combines a true X pipe with a muffler that I believe would make a good resonator delete option though not as quiet as the Magnaflow Tru-X or the Dynomax

116860775_PYPESX-BOX.jpg.82c13cbc92c1c14a63e42583f9ca7da1.jpg

IMG_0761.thumb.PNG.7f3d59251acee5c9c7ef661e9830ead5.PNG

It is also offered as an H-Pipe

IMG_0759.thumb.PNG.3b985e481cb8e5741e869ee4368880fd.PNG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/15/2022 at 1:57 PM, Xtra said:

I forgot to mention all of them are 2 1/2 inch in, and 2 1/2 inch out so an adaptor would be needed to hook up to the OEM 2 1/4 inch exhaust. But I am looking at going to  a 2.5 inch cat back res delete system anyway. 

You got any updates on this and if so, how's the sound?   I had the MRT cat back on my Fusion sport and I wasn't a fan so I'm looking for other options on my edge. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:22 AM, Mustangvert91 said:

You got any updates on this and if so, how's the sound?   I had the MRT cat back on my Fusion sport and I wasn't a fan so I'm looking for other options on my edge. 

Hello Mustangvert91,

As far as I know there are three off the shelf options at this time for the ST and Sport with the 2.7EB . 

1.  The MRT axel back system . Replaces the suitcase muffler. I have this on my car and when on the highway it is quiet, but as soon as you go up a mild incline on the highway a drone kicks in that I don't care for. the only way I can get rid of it is to downshift or put the car in Sport mode. On the other hand it does give a good aggressive sound when accelerating  The link is tp MRT they  can be found for less 

https://www.shopmrt.com/category-s/2331.htm

2.  The Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System

It is a 2 1/4 inch system that I believe will fit the 2.7EB  Sport as well . The most expensive option. MSRP is around $1900 can be found on Amazon for around $1500

https://www.borla.com/products/ford-edge-st-cat-back-exhaust-system-140766

3.  The aFe Vulcan Series 2 1/2in  Cat-Back  I think this will also fit the 2.7  Sport MSRP around $1100  I have seen it advertised on sale for around $875 

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-33133-vulcan-series-2-1-2-in-304-stainless-steel-cat-back-exhaust-system

===========================================

4. Custom make one to order at your local muffler shop

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Not to get off subject but i having a rattling issue with my exhaust on my 2021 St. Sounds like it is coming from the resonator. What I can't find is a good description of the individual components in the Edge St exhaust system. From observation it looks like the exhaust exits the heads from each side of the engine, goes through its own separate catalytic converter, then both exhaust pipes enter the resonator before traveling back to the muffler at the very rear of the vehicle. Is this right? Thanks for any feedback.

You have a good description of the exhaust system. Twin cats into the Resonanter, then two 2 1/4 inch pipes into the suitcase muffler at the back. Lots of Resonanter delete options are available. . 

• Like 2