Stuck with Factory class II Hitch! Help!!!

Ok here is my problem. I have the factory towing package that comes with the 1-1/4 hitch. Now from what I've been reading, the factory hitch is welded on correct? So now I found the adapter that goes from 1-1/4" to 2" but they all say it's not intended for towing. I guess because it reduces the TW by half. The big problem is that I live in Germany and I need the 2" hitch so that I can use the German type ball which requires a 1" drawbar hole. The class II drawbar only comes with a 3/4" ball hole vs. the class III which comes with a 1" hole. Any suggestions? Im trying to tow a car.

Ok here is my problem. I have the factory towing package that comes with the 1-1/4 hitch. Now from what I've been reading, the factory hitch is welded on correct? So now I found the adapter that goes from 1-1/4" to 2" but they all say it's not intended for towing. I guess because it reduces the TW by half. The big problem is that I live in Germany and I need the 2" hitch so that I can use the German type ball which requires a 1" drawbar hole. The class II drawbar only comes with a 3/4" ball hole vs. the class III which comes with a 1" hole. Any suggestions? Im trying to tow a car.

I wouldn't tow another car any extended distance with a Ford Edge.

I'm not sure the factory hitch is welded on. It is a welded hitch; if you look at it there are several peices that are welded together. It fits up inside the rear bumper, in the styrofoam bump protection. However, if you look where it joins the frame, it appears to be bolted to the frame. So you could remove it and install an aftermarket 2" Class 3 receiver, as there are companies making them for the Edge.

Like the other are saying, that is kind of pointless as the Ford Edge is not spec'ed to pull any more weight than the hitch so even if you put on a 2" Class III hitch you couldn't pull any more weight (unless you're going to throw the manufacturer recommendations and safety out the window). I had a F-350 and do not believe in overloading a vehicle's stated towing capacity. It's extremely hard on the tow vehicle, and dangerous, upping your risk significantly.

You CAN get a 2" ball for the factory hitch. Ford carries them. I bought one at Lowes. I don't pull any more weight, but my trailers were all set up for 2" so I got a 2" ball.

I'm not sure the factory hitch is welded on. It is a welded hitch; if you look at it there are several peices that are welded together. It fits up inside the rear bumper, in the styrofoam bump protection. However, if you look where it joins the frame, it appears to be bolted to the frame. So you could remove it and install an aftermarket 2" Class 3 receiver, as there are companies making them for the Edge.

Like the other are saying, that is kind of pointless as the Ford Edge is not spec'ed to pull any more weight than the hitch so even if you put on a 2" Class III hitch you couldn't pull any more weight (unless you're going to throw the manufacturer recommendations and safety out the window). I had a F-350 and do not believe in overloading a vehicle's stated towing capacity. It's extremely hard on the tow vehicle, and dangerous, upping your risk significantly.

You CAN get a 2" ball for the factory hitch. Ford carries them. I bought one at Lowes. I don't pull any more weight, but my trailers were all set up for 2" so I got a 2" ball.

Hey thanks for the help. Im trying to pull a car wieghing 2500 lbs or less. Dont have a trailer yet. Well I was looking and it does look like it's bolted up in there. I am just going to have to take a closer look. The problem is that I cannot use an American ball with a german trailer. So the american ball is out of the question. The German ball is some kind of off size MM measurement with a 1 inch diameter stem. If I could get a Class II drawbar with a 1 inch hole, that would be nice, but cant seem to find anything like that. I still don't understand why the Flex can pull 4500 lbs and the Edge can't? Is it because of the height of the edge or chassis setup?

Hey thanks for the help. Im trying to pull a car wieghing 2500 lbs or less. Dont have a trailer yet. Well I was looking and it does look like it's bolted up in there. I am just going to have to take a closer look. The problem is that I cannot use an American ball with a german trailer. So the american ball is out of the question. The German ball is some kind of off size MM measurement with a 1 inch diameter stem. If I could get a Class II drawbar with a 1 inch hole, that would be nice, but cant seem to find anything like that. I still don't understand why the Flex can pull 4500 lbs and the Edge can't? Is it because of the height of the edge or chassis setup?

From FordFlex.net..."The Ford Flex’s chassis was designed to be capable, including more than 4,000 pounds of towing capacity, while still delivering the quiet, confident ride that crossover customers demand" With that being said, I'm pretty sure it's a chassis issue.

• 4 months later...
I am 99.9% sure factory hitch is welded on. read the numerous hitch threads here, those with factory pipe in it is welded, those of us who added after-market use the bolt on method AND get a 2" receiver :)

Just some info on the factory hitch setup:

I bought the factory hitch and installed it.

It's not welded on the bumper, the hitch IS the bumper.

The non hitch bumper is only bolted onto the facia of the the body and made of "tin".

The replacement hitch/bumper also slips into the unibody frame of the car made of slightly stronger square tubing.

Like a the old days when a bumper was a bumper and not just something to hold the cover in place.

I thought of bringing it to a welding shop and retro fitting it to 2". Just because it is much easier to purchase stuff for a 2" receiver.

Just some info on the factory hitch setup:

I bought the factory hitch and installed it.

It's not welded on the bumper, the hitch IS the bumper.

The non hitch bumper is only bolted onto the facia of the the body and made of "tin".

The replacement hitch/bumper also slips into the unibody frame of the car made of slightly stronger square tubing.

Like a the old days when a bumper was a bumper and not just something to hold the cover in place.

I thought of bringing it to a welding shop and retro fitting it to 2". Just because it is much easier to purchase stuff for a 2" receiver.

yeah BUT you bought it after the fact and did not have it factory installed when the car was ordered with the tow package.. So you may have bought a Ford hitch from them, but it is an after-market hitch. IIRC the true factory delivered and installed hitches are welded on. Heck, there are people here - with photos - that have had them hacked off by shops to add 2" receivers.. if it was a bolt/on off - they would have just unbolted it.

curios... why would you even buy a Ford 'factory' bolt on hitch that is not 2" when you kind of wanted 2" and you could have gotten a nice Curt 2" and bolted it on yourself and gotten what it seems you wanted.. and likely much cheaper?

I found a Class II (1.25") draw bar that has a 1" hole. I bought it at Cabela's. It doesn't look like it's on their website though. It was a little pricey at $40 because the only one I could find was stainless steel. I bought it when I thought that I was going to use my factory hitch for towing with a 2 5/16" ball, but I decided to upgrade to a Curt so that I could use a weight distributing hitch.

I'd sell you my drawbar, but the cost of shipping it to Germnay would probably be cost prohibitive since it's rather heavy.

Why not just buy a class III hitch and install it. There is someone here who did this and left the factory hitch installed.

That was me. The thread is HERE. I have a picture of what it looks like in the thread. I don't even notice that I have to receivers anymore. They just kinda blend in now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well before I would jump to any conclusions and say don't pull another car with an Edge I would want to know a bit more. I have towed my car on a trailer many times!! actually about 8000kms now before anyone jumps all over me a few key points for anyone to consider first. How much does the car weigh ?? You have stated that yours I believe is 2500lbs that will leave you 1000lbs for a trailer. No matter what, you will need brakes !!! The Edge brakes are not the best out of the box so have a trailer with brakes. 1000lbs for a trailer is not much. You will not likely find any commercially available trailer that is that light, will support the weight you want and have brakes. I had my trailer custom made to tow my car keeping in mind the tow rating on the Edge being 3500lbs. Mine is a float meaning no suspension which=less weight, thin wall tubing on all the inner runs making up the frame=less weight, large hole expanded metal deck instead of a solid surface such as sheet steel or wood=less weight... I think you all get the picture here. You do have some choices here and it can be and done safely at that. My car weighs 2450lbs and my total towed weight on a scale was 3270lbs by total I do NOT mean only the axel weight I mean the car, trailer, both axle and tongue on the scale pad unhooked from the Edge. I paid $15 and got a weight slip from the scale operator and keep it with me just in case I get questioned about how much what I'm pulling weighs. It has never happened. Now another thing to remember is what your GCVWR is I think from memory it is 8100lbs for the Edge. Subtract 3500lbs and you will be left with 4600lbs and from that you have to take out the weight of the tow vehicle which again from memory here I think was 41 or 4200lbs that will only leave you with a total cargo capacity including passengers of 500lbs and that’s if its 4100lbs. That’s not much. So al can say is it can be done safely and legally but you need to do the math and make sure you stay within the lines. Lot’s of people go over the limits and never have a problem until that one time when they get in an accident and then they realize you were over weight and now your at fault regardless and your insurance company will likely not cover you. On a side note if you are going to tow at or near the limit keep this in mind. Have the factory tow package and add to it another transmission cooler fitted in line. Also add engine oil cooler. I used a remote filter adapter and ran my coolant thermostat and lines from that. Remember heat kills when pulling. As far as the topic of the hitches was included here, this is what I found. When the rear bumper was removed YES the hitch receiver is welded to the bumper cross bar… But !! there is always a but.. That bar is bolted to the box sections of the rear section of the unit body pan. I have not actually seen a hitch that is rated as class III for the Edge I swapped my factory 1 ¼” for a 2” receiver but it is rated at 3500lbs also (others may vary) I beefed mine up a bit by cutting off the factory receiver and bolting in a new reinforcement piece between the bumper cross bar and the new hitch. The only reason for doing this is I found that with about 300lbs on the tongue I noticed more flex than I liked and thought I would take advantage of that nice bumper cross bar.