2013 Edge front wipers streaking

I just had my Edge in for an oil change and they checked over everything.  They said everything came back in good shape, but the problem I am having is my front wiper blades are streaking even though they are in good shape.  The tech at the dealership said that there was a screw that could adjust the downward pressure to stop the streaking.  I have no idea where this is.  Can anyone help me out with this please?

15 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

how old are the blades/when were they last replaced? brand? have you tried wiping down the edges with isopropyl alcohol? that will give you an assessment of whether the edges are smooth or not.

I am not sure of the wiper age, they were on there when we bought the car back in April/May.  I haven't tried wiping them down yet, but will do that here today since it is pretty nice outside.  Hopefully this works, these blades aren't exactly cheap from what I have found.

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote everyting
  • Like 1

I use alcohol wipes (eyeglass cleaner wipes) and then follow with a wipe of 303 protectant. (Provides UV protection slows oxidation and keeps the rubber from becoming hard).

Don't know of any screw that adjusts pressure, believe that a spring applies all of the downward pressure). 

Have your cleaned your windshield?

A windscreen with oil smeared on it will cause streaking. If you ever want to super clean your windshield, this works incredibly (rain beads better than RainX and lasts a lot longer).

1. Wash the glass with water
2. Clean the glass with glass cleaner. (I use Windex).
3. Go over the glass with a quality  degreaser to dissolve any grease or oil sticking to the glass. This is what I use, but you can use 409, etc.:

SuperClean Multi-Surface All Purpose Cleaner Degreaser Spray

https://a.co/d/633TSZs

4. And this is what makes the real difference. Clean the windshield with a piece of clay bar. If you've never used it, you break off a piece of clay, and using a spritz bottle with water, wet the glass and just rub it over the glass. If the glass is completely clean, the clay will simply slide over the glass. But if it encounters any oil or grease sticking to the glass, it will drag. You just over over this area until the clay slides freely. Now the glass is super clean and ready for the last step. This is what I use (but any clay bar should work well):

Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar 

https://a.co/d/8ZfclZw

5. Carbona wax. Apply a light coat of wax over the glass and allow it to fully dry. This could take a 1/2 hour or more. When your certain its dry, wipe it off with a microfiber towel, turning often. When its clean, use a new, clean mf towel and polish the glass. You won't believe how clean and protected the windshield is. You won't even need to use your wipers when driving. (I remember going through a car wash and able to see in front of me the entire time. The soap and high pressure spray beaded and ran off faster than it was being applied. If that's even possible). This is the wax I use:

Meguiar's G7014J Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Paste Wax.  

https://a.co/d/g700YvZ

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1