2015 Ford Edge Titanium with 3.5L V6

Taikhum

Hi All, 

I am a soon to be first-time car owner and considering purchasing a used 2015 Ford Edge Titanium  with 3.5 L V6 engine. Car has been through 180k kms (111k miles). 
Online reading puts the 2015 model of the Ford Edge in one of the cars to avoid. While there seem to be a fair share of problems associated with the 2.0L and 2.7L Ecoboost engine (which was new at the time), I am wondering if anyone has faced problems with the 3.5L V6. I believe this is a tried and tested old engine? Am I correct?
Does anyone here still have a 2015 Edge Titanium with the 3.5L V6? Or have good knowledge about the car's reliability? Would really appreciate any reviews and feedback on buying the car. 
Also, any tips on what to look out during my inspection with a mechanic? 
The cars tires and brakes looks to be in good shape.
A bit nervous since its my first car and would appreciate your feedback. 
Thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-03 at 8.30.36 PM.jpeg

Its me the topic owner of this post.. Just to add, has anyone faced battery problems with this car? 
The dealer had to jump-start the car before I drove it which would be a big red flag for me bit it had been snowing for the past few days, which is quite unusual for Vancouver. 

I had a 2015 Titanium AWD with the 3.5 V6. I drove it for 2 years and had no problems. If I recall, one of the problems with the early builds was with a water leak that I believe was in the drivers side A pillar. As I said, I had no problems with mine although I did not put a lot of miles on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taikhum said:

@akirby: I’ve been trying to confirm that but I haven’t been able to. I know the problem was in the Ecoboost but did the 3.5L V6 also have this problem? 

The 3.5 V6 has an internal water-pump and if it fails it leaks into the oil and if not caught immediately it can destroy the engine.  If you catch it right away or decide to proactively change out the water-pump, it is a more complicated and expensive job.

Prior to 2019 (I believe) the 2.0 EB has had a coolant intrusion issue, where coolant leaks into a cylinder.  Some people have been able to have the engine replaced under warranty.

One thing recommended in your 3.5 is to change the coolant from the factory orange to the latest Motorcraft Yellow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JoeVic said:

The 3.5 V6 has an internal water-pump and if it fails it leaks into the oil and if not caught immediately it can destroy the engine.  If you catch it right away or decide to proactively change out the water-pump, it is a more complicated and expensive job.

Prior to 2019 (I believe) the 2.0 EB has had a coolant intrusion issue, where coolant leaks into a cylinder.  Some people have been able to have the engine replaced under warranty.

One thing recommended in your 3.5 is to change the coolant from the factory orange to the latest Motorcraft Yellow.

@JoeVic: Thanks for the explanation. That was very useful.
What I read about this is that with these transverse mounted V6's, the gasket of the water pump will fail at some point and thus should really be avoided. The cost of replacing the gasket is over 1k, which is scary.
If I had to use the car, would changing the coolant to the Motorcraft help?

Try a forum search, or a Google search that includes this forum URL and you'll find a lot more pertinent info on this engine.

Some have reduced the risk of the coolant pump mechanical seal failure by shorter than normal coolant replacement, but starting this at 111k miles would be futile.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 2:45 PM, 1004ron said:

Try a forum search, or a Google search that includes this forum URL and you'll find a lot more pertinent info on this engine.

Some have reduced the risk of the coolant pump mechanical seal failure by shorter than normal coolant replacement, but starting this at 111k miles would be futile.

Thanks @1004ron

Edited by Taikhum