Any one have a whining noise?

schrief

Got a phone call...

They have ordered a gear shift lever and are expecting it thursday. I didnt really even go into detail with the service guy who called as I am just tired of the whole situation but basically they are saying the gear shift lever is defective (I guess) and its causing the solenoid to stay on after the car is parked.

We'll see....

Thank you for your continued updates, Stan Bryant. If you have questions, let me know.

If u still have the service manual available and wouldnt mind looking...is this shift lever just a mechanical assembly or are there some electical parts to it. I figure the shift lever is a mechanical lever with circuitry inside when u choose a gear that then energizes a circuit to the solenoid...is this correct or could you educate me otherwise. Im just trying to understand the likelihood of this fix

It's a little of both. There is a mechanical cable that goes to the transmission. The other end operates the gear selector lever on the transmission housing. There is wiring also, to tell the PCM that the lever is not in park and enable the software in the PCM to stage up and down the gear selection solenoids [i presume only if the engine is running since the PCM would know this too]. There are several solenoids in the transmission all controlled by the PCM [there are 6 forward speeds and reverse]. I would expect the solenoids to make a clicking or buzzing noise but not a whine.

I've attached the relevant sections of the manual for your perusal.

I love this teamwork! Another reason I'm happy to be working with you all on Ford Edge forum.

Todd

Dealer called me earlier and claims its fixed. We'll see. They agreed to split the cost of remote start with me for my troubles, but they wont have parts till Monday so I told them to keep it. I will update when I can after the truck is back. It probably wont be until late next week or the following week until I get back home to the truck.

Dealer called me earlier and claims its fixed. We'll see. They agreed to split the cost of remote start with me for my troubles, but they wont have parts till Monday so I told them to keep it. I will update when I can after the truck is back. It probably wont be until late next week or the following week until I get back home to the truck.

Sounds good. I'll check in with you next week.

Todd

Finally got home to the truck today and drove it across town making a few stops here & there and I am happy to report that the dog whistle has been removed from my truck. As I had originally stated it would go for hours after the truck was turned off and I discovered the day the dealer picked it up from my house that it was actually making the noise the entire time the truck was on as well...as soon as you started it about a second would go by and then bam it was at it.

Turns out the culprit was (must've been) a faulty gear shift lever. The sales manager said they put their master tech on it (figured they would because of pissed off customer) and he found that even though the selector was in park and the truck would not move and all, that the cpu didnt know it was in park due to the faulty lever and continued sending power to the solenoid thinking it was in reverse.

I have no noise what so ever at startup now, while driving, or after parking. I love ford..lol. Seriously though i'm just happy its fixed. I've been the owner for 3 1/2 weeks and this is only day 7 in my posession. I will try and post a few more vids I had tomorrow to help anyone identify with thier noise in the future (or rule out). Tired tonight

Edited by Stan Bryant
  • Like 2

***UPDATE***

I had all that good news to report last night and this morning it seems as if the noise is partially back. Went to the store this morning and naturally checked for the noise after startup and sure enough it's there. Yesterday I started the truck several times and shut it off checking for it and I heard nothing. It still seems like everything is shutting off after turning the key off as i've not heard a noise but it was a short trip this morning.

If & when I get time i'm going to visit a dealer and look for other 12's..sports in particular and start them up and see if I hear the noise. If not, my truck is going back to the dealer yet again. If I do, then I guess i'll chalk it up as normal, however annoying it may be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to Nathan 84 for his video. This is exactly the high pitched whine my 2008 mkx emits. After several 'no help' visits to Ford dealer and other mechanics I feel certain it is the fuel pump. Last week after a left turn the noise stopped for the day. Next morning it is whining to beat the band. If there hasn't been a redesign on the fuel pump, it will be a huge waste of time and money.

Ford.... Lincoln......anyone...... is there a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Stan Bryant and Ford rep. Todd. Have you gone to You Tube and entered 'Edge high pitched whine'? This is the identical noise that I have and suspect a defective designed fuel pump. Go to 'you tube' and listen and let me know if this is the noise you hear. I want a resolution to this maddening sound like you do.

Stan Bryant and Ford rep. Todd. Have you gone to You Tube and entered 'Edge high pitched whine'? This is the identical noise that I have and suspect a defective designed fuel pump. Go to 'you tube' and listen and let me know if this is the noise you hear. I want a resolution to this maddening sound like you do.

Hello kalmack,

I am not a certified technician. I recommend taking your MKX back to the nearest Lincoln Service Center for it to be diagnosed.

Your service manager will be in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

If your vehicle is currently at the dealer, please continue to work with them to reach a resolution.

Have a great weekend! B)

Tricia