Any one have a whining noise?

schrief

I have the high pitched whistle problem as well. I am embarrassed to even go through the drive-thru that it is sooo loud. It happens while in motion and while parked. I can still hear it in my ears. Turning on or off the A/C has absolutely no effect. The car has less than 22K miles on it. I live in Phoenix, AZ and bought the car less than a month ago used.

I have made a video which you can hear the noise in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqCunsy1Enc

I have not taken the car to the dealership, fear they will just say "live with it". Sometimes the car drives normal and I hear no noise, but it is times like this when it really makes me regret buying the vehicle. If anybody is interested, I can make another video if it wasn't clear/loud enough.

Nathan

I would go to another dealer, this is not normal ...Is the car still under the warranty?

Here is what I have learned so far. I went to the dealership and complained of the problem. The tech got in the car and we closed the doors to see if we could hear it. I could hear it, but she could not. Then another guy came over to see if he could hear it and he couldn't either. It wasn't as bad at the time as the video. The tech owned a Ford Edge as well and we walked over to her call to see if we could hear the same thing and I could near the rear passenger side wheel of the vehicle. However it was not as bad as anything I've ever heard from my car. The tech then commented how some mornings she noticed it more with her car then with others. They both proceeded to tell me that this is the normal manufacturing specifications that the car was made to. I was going to show them the first video I made, but their office's didn't have access to YouTube. I told them I would make a log and note everything and come back if it still continued.

I have figured out that it happens when the fuel tank is full. The more full the fuel tank the louder the noise is. Which makes me speculate that it might be fuel pump related. Even the guy at the dealership said a high pitched whistle could be the fuel pump. On the first video I made the fuel level reads around 75%, on the second video I made the fuel tank reads around 95%.

Here is another video I made on YouTube from tonight. I just filled up my gas tank this afternoon. And now whenever I drive it, it makes that high pitched whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROCo7_TGJhg

I think what is amazing is that even as I back away from the car for about 100 feet you can still hear the high pitched whistle. The car is under warranty. I will be taking it in again, either this weekend or next. But I want more evidence. I may make another video, any suggestions? Maybe I should pop the hood next time?

Also next time I go in and they claim that the noise is due to the normal manufacturing specifications of the vehicle I am going to ask for those specifications so that I can review them myself and compare.

Edited by nathan84

• 7 months later...

I traded in my 2008 Ford Edge for a lease on a VW. I suggest you get rid of yours as well.

LOL, We got rid of our VW for the Edge. And wouldn't go back for anything. If you do a search on VW problems it will make you sick on everything that comes up. I tell me wife every car has problems, but its the problems that leave you on the side of the car that aren't going to fly. As long as it gets you home is what matters.

LOL, We got rid of our VW for the Edge. And wouldn't go back for anything. If you do a search on VW problems it will make you sick on everything that comes up. I tell me wife every car has problems, but its the problems that leave you on the side of the car that aren't going to fly. As long as it gets you home is what matters.

I like the body style of the VW and the materials they use on the interior better than Ford. But that is personal preference. I haven't had any problems with it so far and if I do have them the car is under warranty until the lease expires at which point I'll just get a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, two weeks ago my wife and I bought an 08 Edge.

Last week we were driving around and heard the whining noise.

We knew it was coming from the back, but cant really locate it.

The other day i turned the vehicle on, and could hear it in the outside of the vehicle. I suck with cars, so all I could tell is its coming from underneath, near the middle/rear of the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 model and we've had that whining sound almost since day 1 when we bought it new a year and a half ago. I'm almost 100% certain it IS the fuel pump. It is extremely annoying on the ears. My wife has to crank the volume on the radio just to mask the noise. The problem is intermittent but happens 75% of the time the engine is running. We've gone around and around with the dealer on this....to no avail. Older service manager can't hear it....surprise!....other techs hear it but the dealer says they can't do anything about it. I'm pretty upset about this since we paid $42k for this thing....all the bells & whistles. Do to a family connection, we've always bought Fords but I've really had it with their total disdain for customer satisfaction. No more Fords! I really want to take this higher in the corporate ladder and get some action on this. Anyone facing these same issues?

• 3 months later...

I live in MN and its darn cold out! I have noticed, over the last month or so, that when my vehicle is running, there is a constant whining noise. It's almost like the fuel pump is going out or is really loud. I thought for some stupid reason it might be the sync computer system, but if I turn the radio off, the noise doesn't go away. I really notice it when I'm driving down the highway, and I exit and come up to the light. I was thinking that is most likely the fuel pump, because when fuel pumps heat up, they some times make more noise, but the issue with this idea, is that it makes the noise right when I start it up as well. Its an 08 with 6k on it. Anyone else having or had this issue?

Thanks!

I recently bought a 2008 Edge Limited and I have been complaining about the "whinning" sound since day 2!!! Its somewhat high-pitch similar to an annoying dog-whistle and constant with no change. It drives me nuts!

I have talked to several other people in the car industry and auto repair and they all say its the fuel pump. Damn it Ford!

I have to go back to dealer to get my 2nd key and keypad code they forgotor had misplaced at time of purchase; I am going to ask them about replacing it and what in that model pump and fuel system is causing this.

It is likely the vibration from pump type against the fuel tank type (plastic against metal, vice versa, whatever it is)....it sucks!

Ill post my results and the outcome after my visit to Ford. Anyone else attempt to fix this or take it in?? Keep posting progress!!!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

just started hearing it in my 09 sport. it is very loud from outside vehicle you can hear it at least 30 feet away. inside can hear it more in the backseat. with radio off i can start hearing it up front. if you try to listen for it it is as hell. luckily my hearing is not as good anymore so it may not become an issue for me anyway unless it gets worse.

others that have had it replaced by ford that said the noise did not go away wonder if using an aftermarket fuel pump would solve the issue. replacing with the same OEM probably wouldnt help much it seams

Edited by trigg

just started hearing it in my 09 sport. it is very loud from outside vehicle you can hear it at least 30 feet away. inside can hear it more in the backseat. with radio off i can start hearing it up front. if you try to listen for it it is as hell. luckily my hearing is not as good anymore so it may not become an issue for me anyway unless it gets worse.

others that have had it replaced by ford that said the noise did not go away wonder if using an aftermarket fuel pump would solve the issue. replacing with the same OEM probably wouldnt help much it seams

Have you been to your Ford Dealer for this concern, trigg? Let me know and I'll look into available options on my end.

Todd

Hello. I just purchased a '12 edge sport a week ago and ever since I pulled it in my driveway i've noticed a high pitched 'dog whistle' sound that will go constant for hours. It wont do it when u just start and idle but when u drive the car and park it will certainly do it. Cant really hear it inside the cabin although I always have the radio going but when u get out u hear it for sure, although i'd bet my bottom dollar it does it while im driving too.

Took truck into service this morning because it will drive me crazy to have this noise continue and I literally just got a call from my advisor saying the tech narrowed down the noise to inside the tranny, most likely from the mecha-tronic module (I think is what he called it). He then informed me that they are waiting to hear back from the ford helpline people to see how to proceed. I have already informed the dealership I bought it from that if this issues can not or is not fixed they can gladly have the truck back. I own an expedition el and an explorer and have had no such issues outta either and I refuse to keep a vehicle that makes this embarrassing noise all the time.

Well I just spoke to my service advisor who informed me that the sound was pinpointed down to the Body Control Module which is mounted on the transmission he stated. He said the noise is do to it not powering down when the vehicle is shut off, which explains the dead battery I had after having it for 3 days (forgot to mention that in my first post). He says the BCM may make a whining noise under normal operating conditions but should stop when the car is turned off. This is a bunch of crap to me and I'm guessing its what a few people on here have posted as their suspected fuel pump sound.

I was told the part will arrive in a couple days and should be done by weeks end. I will hold judgement for now....but If I hear any whining I will be taking the vehicle back to the dealer I purchased from and politely handing them their keys. By no means do I hold the dealer responsible other than the vehicle being a CPO and what kind of check did it really go thru to be certified.

Really...who makes large scale production vehicles with a "normal operating" annoying dog whistle sound. Seriously?

Edited by Stan Bryant

Hey Stan Bryant,

Welcome to the forum! I'm Todd, the Ford rep that lurks around. :) Your Edge is at a Ford Dealer, right? Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership name; I'll look into options on my end.

Todd

Todd, it's nice to hear that someone from Ford is willing to look into this.

I purchased a (used) beautiful '08 Ford Edge Limited with every bell and whistle. I love everything about the car, but soon after I purchased it I noticed the high pitch noise. I brought it to the Ford dealer to get the problem looked at. The mechanics heard it right away and commented on how loud it was. They believe it is the fuel pump that is making the noise.

However, from reading on the owner boards, even if I got it replaced with another Ford fuel pump the noise might stay the same. Apparently many of the Ford fuel pumps for the Ford Edge has this issue, and getting a new one to replace it is no guarantee that it will be better.

This is the first American car I have purchased and I really love the car, everything except for this noise. It makes the noise constantly, regardless of whether the car is moving or not. It is so loud and shrill, the only way I can drown it out is to turn up the fan to it's highest setting and/or turn up the sound system to a pretty loud volume.

Oh, and the Ford dealer? The mechanics checked another '08 or '09 they had on the lot, it made the same noise, so their conclusion is that it's "normal" for these cars.

It's puzzling, to say the least, and has really hurt Ford's reputation in my eyes.

It's too bad, because I love basically everything else about this car. It really is excellent! But if I don't find some way to fix the issue, I will probably need to sell it or trade it in for a loss. And if the issue doesn't get fixed, there is a very small likelihood I would consider a Ford again.

If Ford stood behind their product and addressed this defect, I would be overjoyed, because I really would like to keep this car!

Edited by FischerAG

Well I just spoke to my service advisor who informed me that the sound was pinpointed down to the Body Control Module which is mounted on the transmission he stated. He said the noise is do to it not powering down when the vehicle is shut off, which explains the dead battery I had after having it for 3 days (forgot to mention that in my first post). He says the BCM may make a whining noise under normal operating conditions but should stop when the car is turned off. This is a bunch of crap to me and I'm guessing its what a few people on here have posted as their suspected fuel pump sound.

I was told the part will arrive in a couple days and should be done by weeks end. I will hold judgement for now....but If I hear any whining I will be taking the vehicle back to the dealer I purchased from and politely handing them their keys. By no means do I hold the dealer responsible other than the vehicle being a CPO and what kind of check did it really go thru to be certified.

Really...who makes large scale production vehicles with a "normal operating" annoying dog whistle sound. Seriously?

Stan, interesting! I hope, for your sake, that the BCM fix does this trick and you don't hear any more whining noise!

I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear the result of your experience. Please let us know how it goes, and if it fixed the issue for you!

Cheers, -Aaron

Thank you for the update. Please let me know when the repair is completed.

Todd, it's nice to hear that someone from Ford is willing to look into this.

I purchased a (used) beautiful '08 Ford Edge Limited with every bell and whistle. I love everything about the car, but soon after I purchased it I noticed the high pitch noise. I brought it to the Ford dealer to get the problem looked at. The mechanics heard it right away and commented on how loud it was. They believe it is the fuel pump that is making the noise.

However, from reading on the owner boards, even if I got it replaced with another Ford fuel pump the noise might stay the same. Apparently many of the Ford fuel pumps for the Ford Edge has this issue, and getting a new one to replace it is no guarantee that it will be better.

Hi FischerAG,

Have you considered bringing your Edge into a different dealership for another opinion? I'd be happy to locate one and schedule an appointment for you.

Todd

Edited by FordService

Thank you for the update. Please let me know when the repair is completed.

Hi FischerAG,

Have you considered bringing your Edge into a different dealership for another opinion? I'd be happy to locate one and schedule an appointment for you.

Todd

Hmm, I see that many people have had this same problem, and every dealership seems to have the same "it's normal" response. Not sure it's worth going to another dealership. But I certainly would if it meant that this problem would have a chance of being fixed!

I appreciate your help, and would be very happy if Ford were actually looking into this problem. Can you provide an email address or contact number or something to assure me that you are actually from Ford, and not somebody impersonating a Ford representative?

I will post my results whenever I get the car back. I am however still very weary of future 'noises' I would have to look forward to even if this bcm fixes the immediate dog whistle sound. In 6 months will I be dealing with a fuel pump noise issue? And thats assuming the bcm noise isnt overpowering another current noise that I have yet to hear.

Very dissappointed in my purchase to this point and I certainly wish I had read up on the edge before purchasing it instead of being taken in by its stylish look. By the time I receive the car back at the end of this week the dealer will have had the car longer than me.

Todd maybe you can answer a simple question for us all. How is it that ford can put out a product or perhaps products these day that make such annoying noises when they've not done this in the past. Its really quite sad that they have to be well aware of these issues but seemingly refuse to fix them...but i'm sure that comes down to dollars and cents in recalls.