Any one have a whining noise?

schrief

I live in MN and its darn cold out! I have noticed, over the last month or so, that when my vehicle is running, there is a constant whining noise. It's almost like the fuel pump is going out or is really loud. I thought for some stupid reason it might be the sync computer system, but if I turn the radio off, the noise doesn't go away. I really notice it when I'm driving down the highway, and I exit and come up to the light. I was thinking that is most likely the fuel pump, because when fuel pumps heat up, they some times make more noise, but the issue with this idea, is that it makes the noise right when I start it up as well. Its an 08 with 6k on it. Anyone else having or had this issue?

Thanks!

I live in MN and its darn cold out! I have noticed, over the last month or so, that when my vehicle is running, there is a constant whining noise. It's almost like the fuel pump is going out or is really loud. I thought for some stupid reason it might be the sync computer system, but if I turn the radio off, the noise doesn't go away. I really notice it when I'm driving down the highway, and I exit and come up to the light. I was thinking that is most likely the fuel pump, because when fuel pumps heat up, they some times make more noise, but the issue with this idea, is that it makes the noise right when I start it up as well. Its an 08 with 6k on it. Anyone else having or had this issue?

Thanks!

Hi scrief. :D Next time you hear the whine, pull over in a safe area. Get out of the car and see if you can ascertain where the noise is coming from. If it seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, there is a very good chance it is the fuel pump, as there is not much else that could be making a noise from that area in a non-moving car.

Either way, fuel pump or not your best bet is to make a service appointment to have the problem diagnosed.

At best, Internet diagnosis is very inaccurate. At worst, it is completely worthless. In the mean time, check all the fluid levels and top them off if necessary.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi scrief. :D Next time you hear the whine, pull over in a safe area. Get out of the car and see if you can ascertain where the noise is coming from. If it seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, there is a very good chance it is the fuel pump, as there is not much else that could be making a noise from that area in a non-moving car.

Either way, fuel pump or not your best bet is to make a service appointment to have the problem diagnosed.

At best, Internet diagnosis is very inaccurate. At worst, it is completely worthless. In the mean time, check all the fluid levels and top them off if necessary.

I have the same whine. I'm 100% positive it is the fuel pump. It makes the noise from the moment I start the engine until I stop it and comes from the rear of the vehicle.

Has done this since day one and I knew it was the pump but have not gotten around to making an appointment, although I did ask a service tech about it and he said it isn't normal.

Can even hear it while driving on the highway.

• 2 weeks later...

hi...i am new to this board. ifound it when i was researching the high pitch whine i hear in my newly purchased 2008 edge. i have taken it it numerous times as it is very annoying and to the point where my ears ring for quite some time after i drive it. the mechanics at the dealer do not hear it, but the new car sales manager was shocked when i got him out in my car. now he can hear it all the time over the music and fans and everything. i have called ford customer service and they encouraged me to go on the boards and request all of you on the boards to call them to report that you can hear this also. it, as of right now is what is considered a normal noise for the fuel pump to make but most people cannot hear the frequency or pitch that this is. they explained that they cannot do anything without enough people reporting it. if you cannot hear it and your kids can...believe them. it is there and unfortunatly, going to force me to sell at a great loss the car i wanted nothing more than to love.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I own an 08' Edge and no whinning noise. That said I did just drop it off at the dealership for different prob (rear passenger door latch CLANKING niose only when its cold out). So while they had my car in the shop they gave me a rental 08' Edge from Hertz rental and that one did have a very loud distinguishable high pitch noise to it. Something I noticed that made that Edge different from my own is that Hertz places a GPS module in their cars. Whether the GPS was on or off that high pitch noise was present and very annoying!

When I shut off the heat (ventalation knob pointing straight up) then the noise went away.

Perhaps it is nothing more than a poor ground from the GPS unit or somehow related to the heating system.

Hope that evaluation helped you out!

I own an 08 MKX, it developed a whine at around 12,000 miles. It got progressively loud so much that you could hear the noise above the radio at moderate levels. The noise was diagnosed as an axle bearing failure. Whatever work was performed eliminated the noise completely.

My vehicle is not moving, as I said, it is from the moment you start the engine.

Mine as well, I can be sitting at a light or just starting the vehicle and it makes the noise. I have some mechanical back ground experience and I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump.

On a side note, this is my first new vehicle I have ever had. I have always told myself I would buy used. Many reasons, biggest one would be to save money. But with this, I got the 0% loan and with a used car it would have cost me 5-7%.

With that being said, there are things that I'm very happy about with the vehicle, and other things that i'm not. I have a 2008 FWD Limited. Lucky so far, I haven't had any issues with the 20" wheels, but I have had some issues.

First issue, there was a rattle in the Vista roof. Brought that in and it was fixed. Now its all the little annoying things. I have commented on the rattling passenger seat, the winning fuel pump, and I also have other rattles here and there.

For example, I live in MN and yes, it is fricken cold out. What I notice when it is 10 degrees or colder out is that my vista roof makes noise on almost every bump I got over. If I hit the open button, just for a sec, it fixes the issue for that one trip generally. The noise is almost like cold glass making a creeking sound. I understand that when its cold out, a vehicle would make more noises, but it's so annoying. I find myself turning down my tunes and listening to all the creeks and moans. I also get a creek and moan around the windshield. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I don't remember it making any noises like this vehicle makes. Maybe I'm more aware because it is brand new.

I would bring it in for the fuel pump, and passenger seat issue, but I just hate dealing with dealerships. I can see all ready what they are going to say. These are normal things and there is nothing we can do about it. I will argue my case, they will look at it for a couple more days, and nothing will get fixed and I will get my vehicle back with 50 more miles on it and a dirty smell from the mechanic that drove it around. That and the fact I'm out my vehicle which I need!

On the bright side,I drive 60 miles a day back and forth to work. I'm getting between 20 - and 22 mpg. I have filled the tank up, reset my miles and checked it again when I fill it up. I do take highways to work, but I drive though the heart of Minneapolis, with a lot of stop and go traffic. I agree with what a lot of people have claimed, it really depends on how you drive your edge. I don't baby it, but I am a little soft on the pedal when I know I'm only going to move 10 feet and stop again. :banghead: My rant for the day.

i agree with you on the vista roof rattle or noise when it is real cold out. I have what sounds like the same 08 fwd edge, and it has been cold in Chicago. I do not want to close the cover or whatever it is called to muffle it. I like the light that comes in thru the roof window.

My advice on the fuel pump whine...is complain. It is real loud on my car and it will only get adressed by ford if enough people complain at their dealer and get them to contact a field service engineer. Once they get enough negative feed back they will work on a fix and get out a TSB (technical service bulletin) Until that happens, we all have to live with it or sell our vehicles. I would like to find out the make of the pump in there now and find out if there is a different manufactured part i could have put in. So far no one seems to know.

Bottom line, I love this car and do not want to give up, but feel like I am taking on a giant.

Mine as well, I can be sitting at a light or just starting the vehicle and it makes the noise. I have some mechanical back ground experience and I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump.

On a side note, this is my first new vehicle I have ever had. I have always told myself I would buy used. Many reasons, biggest one would be to save money. But with this, I got the 0% loan and with a used car it would have cost me 5-7%.

With that being said, there are things that I'm very happy about with the vehicle, and other things that i'm not. I have a 2008 FWD Limited. Lucky so far, I haven't had any issues with the 20" wheels, but I have had some issues.

First issue, there was a rattle in the Vista roof. Brought that in and it was fixed. Now its all the little annoying things. I have commented on the rattling passenger seat, the winning fuel pump, and I also have other rattles here and there.

For example, I live in MN and yes, it is fricken cold out. What I notice when it is 10 degrees or colder out is that my vista roof makes noise on almost every bump I got over. If I hit the open button, just for a sec, it fixes the issue for that one trip generally. The noise is almost like cold glass making a creeking sound. I understand that when its cold out, a vehicle would make more noises, but it's so annoying. I find myself turning down my tunes and listening to all the creeks and moans. I also get a creek and moan around the windshield. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I don't remember it making any noises like this vehicle makes. Maybe I'm more aware because it is brand new.

I would bring it in for the fuel pump, and passenger seat issue, but I just hate dealing with dealerships. I can see all ready what they are going to say. These are normal things and there is nothing we can do about it. I will argue my case, they will look at it for a couple more days, and nothing will get fixed and I will get my vehicle back with 50 more miles on it and a dirty smell from the mechanic that drove it around. That and the fact I'm out my vehicle which I need!

On the bright side,I drive 60 miles a day back and forth to work. I'm getting between 20 - and 22 mpg. I have filled the tank up, reset my miles and checked it again when I fill it up. I do take highways to work, but I drive though the heart of Minneapolis, with a lot of stop and go traffic. I agree with what a lot of people have claimed, it really depends on how you drive your edge. I don't baby it, but I am a little soft on the pedal when I know I'm only going to move 10 feet and stop again. :banghead: My rant for the day.

Hello, I live in New Hampshire and have the same exact problem with my vista roof. Every bump it rattles, did you find anything out??

OK I can hear the whining noise as well. I have a 08 15k miles Edge, I hear the noise from the moment i turn the vehicle on, while driving and at the light. At first i thought it was coming from my radio, or usb, or even bluetooth. Nope...turned all of those off and I still hear it, sounds like a high pitch tone, very annoying. My wife heard it first...:( I guess i will visit the dealership and see if they know what it is. I will let them know about the fuel pump... Anyone in Austin, TX having this issue?

E.C

MSN: Ecampu

As far as the vista roof rattling, if I just hit the open button for .2 sec, it doesn't really open the roof, but sometimes it will make the rattle go away. I'm still debating what to do on the fuel pump. Reading all the other posts on it, seems like it is a issue that most people haven't had good luck getting it fixed. If there is one thing I hate, its dealing with car dealerships. That and the fact, I don't have anytime to bring it in. Plus, I know it will just be a big waste of time.

Same whining problem here. '08 model with about 3200 miles. Never noticed it when I first got the car in December, but it's quite noticeable now. Doesn't sound like Ford even acknowledges there's a problem.

Plus, the driver's door panel started creaking last night for no reason. My Edge rattles and creaks a lot, and I don't know if it's the result of the crappy, uneven, pot-hole strewn roads in this town or what.

Same whining problem here. '08 model with about 3200 miles. Never noticed it when I first got the car in December, but it's quite noticeable now. Doesn't sound like Ford even acknowledges there's a problem.

Plus, the driver's door panel started creaking last night for no reason. My Edge rattles and creaks a lot, and I don't know if it's the result of the crappy, uneven, pot-hole strewn roads in this town or what.

Thanks!

Yes, I'm so pissed off. It's very bad whinning noise I have taken to Ford Dealer and they said "Live with it" I have 3800 miles and been doing since day 1. I think this is bull shit, after paying 40K for a car. We live in Indiana and the same when it gets cold out seems worst. Have you had any luck with your dealer.

Dan

Yes, I'm so pissed off. It's very bad whinning noise I have taken to Ford Dealer and they said "Live with it" I have 3800 miles and been doing since day 1. I think this is bull shit, after paying 40K for a car. We live in Indiana and the same when it gets cold out seems worst. Have you had any luck with your dealer.

Dan

Hi Dan. :D There is a complaint process in place to help people when they are not happy with their Dealerships service, or a Dealership says "live with it".

When you purchased your Edge, you were given a bunch of paperwork and brochures. One of those brochures is your "Warranty" Guide Booklet. In that Warranty Guide are precise instructions, addresses, phone numbers etc to contact Ford Customer Relations and register a formal complaint concerning the service you have received.

If you then are not happy with the response from Ford Customer Relations, there is an explanation of the BBB (Better Business Bureau) AutoLine Arbitration Program. It is a no cost Arbitration Program set up through the Better Business Bureau. The good part about this program is that it's decision i binding on The Dealer/Ford, but non-binding on you. So if the decision goes against your Dealer, the Dealer cannot fight it. If it ges against you, you can still use other legal means to get your concerns addressed.

The Dealer will not tell you about these programs, since as far as they are concerned you were handed a booklet that explains all of it. So a customer who does not read their purchase literature is on their own.

If you can not find your Warranty Guide, you can download a PDF version here: LINK: Ford Literature

Fill in the drop down boxes with your vehicle information and click "Submit". Then click on "Warranty Guide".

The Warranty Guide is only about 40 pages long (with big print). It is well worth the time to read through it, especially the sections concerning Ford Customer Relations, The BBB AutoLine Program and State Lemon Laws. Check the Table of Contents.

Edited by bbf2530