Global or remote power windows for 2009?

JohnCT

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.   I have to replace a defective door latch on my wife's 2009 Edge Limited because the door won't open from the outside.  It's a couple hours worth of work and I won't have time this holiday week even if the part shows up before Christmas.  Is there a feature on the '09 where the windows can be dropped either from the FOB or the keypayd?  Crawling over the passenger seat is a pain in the butt for older folks..  Thanks.

John

2 hours ago, dabangsta said:

No, the 2009 Edge didn't get global window open. On my vehicles that have it (2012 Fusion, 2015 Fusion, 2017 Escape until a dealer flash disabled it, 2019 Edge) you press unlock on the fob, then press and hold unlock again until the windows come down.

Thanks, I was hoping there was an Easter Egg hiding in a key press combination (perhaps there is still!).  I'll play around with it tonight but I'm afraid you're correct.

John

The feature was only available on the 2009 MKX but not on the Edge. On  the 2009 it wasn't global, it opened both front windows (not the back) and popped up the sunroof.

You could try it by unlocking the door using to cars' 5-digit entry code then press the 3 & 4 keys within 5 seconds. This unlocks all doors and can enter through a door that works.

Of course if you have the FOB you can just unlock all doors (press unlock twice) enter through passenger front or drivers rear, reach over and open the drivers door.

16 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

The feature was only available on the 2009 MKX but not on the Edge. On  the 2009 it wasn't global, it opened both front windows (not the back) and popped up the sunroof.

You could try it by unlocking the door using to cars' 5-digit entry code then press the 3 & 4 keys within 5 seconds. This unlocks all doors and can enter through a door that works.

Of course if you have the FOB you can just unlock all doors (press unlock twice) enter through passenger front or drivers rear, reach over and open the drivers door.

Pushing 3/4 does indeed unlock all the doors, but unlocking the other doors is not the problem - pushing the FOB unlock twice unlocks them anyway as you know.  The problem is the driver's door won't open from the outside and getting to the inside latch is a problem from any other door.  The left side back door is too far away from the driver's door latch to get it (I have the wingspan of a condor and I can barely reach it) and if you unlatch it from the pass side, there's a chance the door will relatch if the car is leaning slightly toward the left..

If the window went down it would really make this easy.

In any case, I ordered a Dorman part and will replace it next week.  

John

My drivers outdoor handle came off after coming out of WalMart, late one night. Stood there in the parking lot with the handle in my hand. I went in through the drivers rear door and unlocked the door. It's a streach but doable.

Handle super easy to change, one screw just inside door. (In the side of the door, adjacent the door handle). Only part to be careful with, is screw can be dropped inside door if not careful. Used magnetic screwdriver & went very slow. Took two minutes. Latch will take much longer.

Think I'd consider changing the door latch switch while the door is open. Bad history on these Gen One Fords. 

Always use Ford parts, don't trust aftermarket. (With my luck with aftermarket parts, the new one would jusg snap off in my hand again).

On 12/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, enigma-2 said:

My drivers outdoor handle came off after coming out of WalMart, late one night. Stood there in the parking lot with the handle in my hand. I went in through the drivers rear door and unlocked the door. It's a streach but doable.

Handle super easy to change, one screw just inside door. (In the side of the door, adjacent the door handle). Only part to be careful with, is screw can be dropped inside door if not careful. Used magnetic screwdriver & went very slow. Took two minutes. Latch will take much longer.

Think I'd consider changing the door latch switch while the door is open. Bad history on these Gen One Fords. 

Always use Ford parts, don't trust aftermarket. (With my luck with aftermarket parts, the new one would jusg snap off in my hand again).

The handle is fine, the latch is porked.   I generally go with OEM but web searching suggests that these factory power latch assemblies are garbage (they even had a program on them which of course is now expired), so I ordered a Dorman.  My long experience with Ford tells me they never fix a crappy system unless they can do it for no cost, and only upgrade on the new generation.

I'll put the new latch in this week and report what's involved.

John