Its me again. 2013 2.0 wont start…

Philliphalljr

So, daughter has a 2013 limited 2.0. We have had all sorts of issues…this forum has been tons of help and now i am asking for help again. Last night i was working out of town. She calls, said it has power but not starting. So, today, i get back home. Run to the car, wont start, cant jump it. Locks work, windows work, radio, lights, everything works, just wont start. I take out the battery and alternator and have them checked. Battery is only 6 months old and tests good a little over 12 volts if I remember correctly. Alternator failed its test at 2 different places. So, i put on a new alternator and pit the batter back in…nothing…still the same. Batteries in remotes are good. I am at a loss on what to check next…

Here is the Intelligent Access (IA) Starting System wiring diagram and a brief operational description from the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual...

801219594_StartingSystemwithIntelligentAccess-WiringDiagram-2013EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.f63edac94212650e905770311b77f76e.jpg

Principles of Operation — With Intelligent Access (IA)

NOTE: This vehicle is equipped with Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) that disables the engine if an unprogrammed PATS key is used or an invalid PCM ID is received. PATS is controlled by the Remote Function Actuator (RFA) module, BCM and PCM . If the PATS disables the engine from starting, the IPC displays "STARTING SYSTEM FAULT" in the message center. Refer to Section  419-01B to diagnose a PATS concern.

The RFA module and the BCM controls the ignition modes and in conjunction with the PCM controls the IA starting system. Under normal operation during a start event, the following inputs are received:

• Start/stop switch pressed
  • Brake pedal applied
  • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL signal from the Transmission Range (TR) sensor
  • Run/start relay voltage.
  • PATS enabled status

When the PCM receives the correct inputs, voltage and ground is supplied to the starter relay coil. The starter relay coil is energized causing the relay contacts to close providing voltage to the starter solenoid, allowing the starter motor to crank the engine. The PCM disengages the starter once an engine rpm threshold is reached, a set crank time is exceeded or the start/stop switch is pressed indicating an engine shutdown.

The following are PDF download links to relevant Workshop Manual sections...

Starting System with Intelligent Access - Wiring Diagram - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Starting System - Diagnosis and Testing - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Starter Motor - Removal and Installation - 2.0L EcoBoost - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Please be aware that the Diagnosis and Testing document is especially thorough and its full application requires capability for scanning the vehicle's electronic modules for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and other state-of-operation indicators, as well as multi-meter evaluation of wiring circuits and connectors. If your corrective efforts take you to this depth of investigation and you require fuller detail on wiring connectors, just let me know and I will provide it.

Hopefully, your review of this information will lead to a successful repair.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info! And happy new year. Last night i came to the car with a scanner and no codes were pulled. I dont know how well the scanner works, but he said its what he uses on his fords. If the key fob unlocks the doors, am I correct in assuming it is programmed to the car? So it would not be a key programming issue, it would be pats, or maybe starter?

Did you try the key fob in the key backup slot in the front of the inside of the center console storage area? While test driving vehicles I got to try that out since the remote fob on a 2016 I wanted to try had a low battery. Also used that slot on my 2019 to get the door code.

But it sounds more like an issue with the starter if not a battery wiring issue. If it was a fob issue it would say authorized key not detected (or similar). The fob proximity signal and button press are separate from the internal proximity for starting with the PATS signal, but I think it would take a significant issue for PATS to no longer be recognized but the fob is.

• Like 1