Guesstimate on clearing unavailable fobs at dealer or locksmith

I am going to start calling around, local dealer, dealer (Ford) that I bought the vehicle from, and locksmiths. 2019 SEL.

It did come with 2 functioning IA smart fobs. 1 is OEM, 1 is aftermarket. I don't know if the dealer added the aftermarket one, or the OEM one (carfax shows them adding and programming key(s)). I asked them to clear all the unavailable keys, make sure there were 2 smart fobs, and that they get the emergency keys cut (both missing). Got 2 out of 3, but I didn't know it had 4 keys programmed in until I tried adding a new one. However it has 4 (the max) programmed in, so I cannot add a third one (3 drivers, 1 that I want MyKey stuff for, and just because I like redundancy).

I am guessing that if they understand what I want (only the 2 keys I have programmed in), and are willing to deal with an aftermarket key, $300. That is a little out of my comfort zone, but I have no choice, no DIY thing I can do with a 2019. I guess I should also get them to program in the third key, as that is the proof that there are only 2 programmed fobs. I bought a used OEM one off eBay, and when I get to the end of attempting to add it, it says max keys already.

If I recall correctly, the MyKey menu does show the number of programmed keys. You can use that screen to check how many are programmed and show it to the dealer or locksmith to explain you only need the two you have in hand and delete the rest. I would also suggest you later add the 3rd one yourself so you do not get charged for adding it by them.

Edit: I also also agree that $300 is a lot. The programming process should take less than an hour.

Edited by omar302

Yes, in the MyKey settings it does show 4 admin keys, I should have checked it when in the buying process. I could tell by the work the dealership had reported to Carfax that keys would be an issue, but I figured it was only one missing programmed fob.

Looking at the process with the 10 minute waits and the near 5 minute need to open a door or otherwise reset timers, it should be less than an hour of labor if all goes well, and I get that the expensive hardware needed to do it needs paid for.

I might play the "don't feel real secure with 2 programmed fobs floating out there" card with the selling dealership, but I doubt that will get me very far.

25 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

I believe that re-registeing to two admin keys will erase all old keys. (It's the reason you need to program all fobs at the same time). If you still have four admin keys programmed, try using to two you currently have and re-register them. Then see if the other two disappear. 

That's not applicable to newer Ford models. Old keys/Fobs have to be erased.

The process is to erase all keys and then program the required ones, minimum of two. AFAIK.