2020 Titanium 20" aluminum wheels with Elite package corrosion

katmus

I just got new tires for my 2020 Edge Titanium with the Elite package. It has 20" polished aluminum wheels. I was shocked that the tech who replaced the tires said that my wheels have excessive rust, corrosion, and debris on the hub and wheel mating surfaces. They said this condition can cause the wheel to come loose. I'm horrified. I've never had an issue with wheels before. Is there a known issue with these wheels? Is it covered under warranty? I plan on taking it to a Ford service center, but I'm in Florida and have a lot of driving to do to get back to PA. Thanks for any feedback.

I assume that where you live has an environment that might cause more corrosion than what the person in Florida is used to? I get parts from people and I live in the desert southwest and I consider them trash, but are sold as "light corrosion" or "surface rust" from back east. I might just be they are not used to cleaning up the tire bead area and the wheel mating surface or rotor hub and applying anti-seize to the faces (not the lugs).

Probably nothing specific to the wheel, I am sure that the same surface treatment is found on all aluminum wheels, and they touch dissimilar metal on the rotor hats.

Thanks for the comments. They make sense. I live in PA and they use a lot of road salt there. The tire tech that installed my tires is from Florida so they probably aren't used to seeing the corrosion from road salt as you said. I'll still get them checked out though when I'm back in PA. They look fine from the outside.