Burning smell with any 09 Edge models?

jedi6

I am about to start the paperwork to order an 09 Edge limited and I just read through the long thread on the burning smell that seems to be prevalent on 07 and 08s.

I test drove a used 08 limited this week and noticed the burning smell on my first stop just as described in the thread. When I returned it the dealer they said it was leftover cleaning fluid on the engine. After reading through the other posts this is obviously not the problem.

Has anyone who has purchased on 09 Edge noticed this problem? I am hoping that it is an issue that has been dealt with prior to putting out the 09 line.

I am about to start the paperwork to order an 09 Edge limited and I just read through the long thread on the burning smell that seems to be prevalent on 07 and 08s.

I test drove a used 08 limited this week and noticed the burning smell on my first stop just as described in the thread. When I returned it the dealer they said it was leftover cleaning fluid on the engine. After reading through the other posts this is obviously not the problem.

Has anyone who has purchased on 09 Edge noticed this problem? I am hoping that it is an issue that has been dealt with prior to putting out the 09 line.

I have an 09 and all is OK

[i have an 08 Edge SEL and I have had to have the transmission valve seal replaced twice so far which brought on the burning smell. I have also had to have my brakes replaced due to grinding. It isn't just me either. While sitting at the dealership this morning somebody else came in with an 08 that is in for the second time with the burning and also had to have her brakes replaced. Something is wrong and they aren't recalling it. Be careful with purchasing the Edge. I love it, but don't know if it is going to last.

Thanks to those that replied. I went ahead and ordered the 09 Limited FWD. I decided against the AWD due to the amount of PTU issues the Forum has listed, and the fact that I wasnt sold on needing AWD along with lower gas mileage. My Edge won't arrive until April (I live in Germany) so I will have a while to continue reading the Forum for updates.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to those that replied. I went ahead and ordered the 09 Limited FWD. I decided against the AWD due to the amount of PTU issues the Forum has listed, and the fact that I wasnt sold on needing AWD along with lower gas mileage. My Edge won't arrive until April (I live in Germany) so I will have a while to continue reading the Forum for updates.

I just bought a 2009 AWD SEL and occasionally have a burning smell but it only seems to occur when idling for a long while. Since I just brought it home 2 days ago it might actually be the residual cleaning fluid. I will monitor it and post an update if it continues or goes away.

Edited by mhooper

I just bought a 2009 AWD SEL and occasionally have a burning smell but it only seems to occur when idling for a long while. Since I just brought it home 2 days ago it might actually be the residual cleaning fluid. I will monitor it and post an update if it continues or goes away.

Just did 1000km this weekend and no smell at any time. Will continue to monitor...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new Edge owner. Purchased an '09 Limited FWD a week ago today and love evrything about it so far but I have smelled a burning oder a few times already. I haven't contacted the dealer yet because I was going to monitor it for a few more weeks and see how it goes.

I'll respond to this thread with any updates.

I'm a new Edge owner. Purchased an '09 Limited FWD a week ago today and love evrything about it so far but I have smelled a burning oder a few times already. I haven't contacted the dealer yet because I was going to monitor it for a few more weeks and see how it goes.

I'll respond to this thread with any updates.

Hi rockojc. :D In general, the leak being experienced and described here by some Edge owners is limited to the AWD models. FWD models do not have the PTU unit that seems to sometimes be a problem.

If you check your Owners Manual, you will see that it warns that drivers of brand new vehicles will sometimes notice a slight "burning odor". This is due to the burning off of oils, cleaners and chemical solvents used on the engine and transmission during manufacturing and assembly. This odor should diminish and then disappear as it burns off the engine with use.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...
bbf2530 - Thanks for the update. It's been another week now and I haven't smelled the burning oder at all. So let's hope you're correct!

I have an 09 Sport. I am only at 104 miles, but I have only smelled the usual smell of a new motor heating up, nothing resembling anything burning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello All,

I'm new here. Bought my Edge in June. It's a 2009 SEL AWD. Here's one pic.

I started to notice a burning smell in mine about 2 weeks ago. Usually after it's warmed up, and it only lasts about 2-3 minutes. It smells like rubber or brakes. I'm not sure what it is. Has anyone found a problem with this??

I'm gonig to make an appt this week to take mine in and wanted some more info. Glad I found your site.

Thanks!

post-8528-12633901043384_thumb.jpg

I have 2009 LTD with AWD and have the chemical smell. I haven't had it in for that, but I have had it in for the whistling noise which absolutely drives me crazy. They replaced the thermal valve and the trans cooler line, but that didn't fix the problem. Now that I am aware of these boards, it sounds like it may be the fuel pump?? I love the way it drives, but I'm very sad about the two issues I have right now. It needs to go back in.

Good luck with yours.