Sync 4 Auto Update Issue

Hi

Need some assistance! Purchased 2021 Edge 2 months, initially had problems with Ford Pass activation but Dealer was able to reload and get it working………but noticed recently that I am unable to turn on “Auto Updates” for system updates……actually I can turn button on it turns blue, but if I leave that screen and come back to auto updates the button is off? I have tried several times same results, so I think thinking not getting any ota updates, I am connected to home wifi. Here is pic of my software version

Has other members experienced similar issue? Could you please post pic of your Edge Sync software version for comparison, would be appreciated 

Thinking another trip to the dealership!  Thanks

93449D65-3AEC-432F-9615-7220E5891AE6.jpeg

Thanks, I did go to my Ford account, and it states that I have auto update with my sync so there nothing to do, also shows that software is up to date……but my in vehicle screen states that my auto updates are off……confusing for me maybe overthinking the process.

cant seem to find what is the correct current software version for my system.

So, the SYNC Service Report for your Edge shows its software version at SYNC4 v4.0.21027, with 8/24/2022 and 8/30/2022 being the most recent activity dates.

Your Edge's Over The Air Update Dashboard shows no activity in the last 60 days.

I pulled a SYNC Service Report on a comparable 2021 SEL and it showed SYNC4 v4.0.22228 with a 1/31/2023 activity date. 

That Edge's Over The Air Update Dashboard shows two recent updates...

image.thumb.png.d9bec8f2f62471819a4f379da8f1f286.png

TCU Update Release Notes

Ford Power-Up 3.5.4 You may have noticed we’ve recently made some more updates. Advanced Dual Phone Access two phones at the same time without having to mess with the settings. You could, for example, easily access both phones for incoming calls, contacts, text messages, emails and more. Digital Owner’s Manual We made sure what you need to know is in there and easy to find. Go see it at Ford.com/support, in-vehicle or in the FordPass® App. Ongoing updates like this help you enjoy the best possible version of your Edge® SUV.

APIM Update Release Notes

Ford Power-Up 3.5.3 We’ve been super busy. Check these out. Alexa Built-in Yes, it’s almost here. Most of Alexa Built-in has now been downloaded, with the final piece arriving in a few more days. Then you can wake Alexa up. Make a call, check the weather, interact with your smart-home devices, make a shopping list, ask for a joke. Just about anything you use Alexa for at home, you’ll be able to do in your vehicle. Plus, add Ford Streaming and listen to music and podcasts too. You’ll know it’s time to activate Alexa when the icon appears on your SYNC® 4 Technology screen. Just click on it and follow the steps to register. Keep in mind that your vehicle must have Enhanced Voice Recognition and an activated modem. And, of course, you’ll need an Amazon account. More good news: Your first three years of Alexa access are on us (streaming media services not included). That three-year clock starts ticking the moment the Alexa icon appears, so don’t wait to set it up. You’re gonna love it. Go to your Ford Account or FordPass® App to learn even more. Games When you’re parked and looking for a fun way to pass the time, these new games are just the ticket. In Lane Change, you’ll dodge cars while collecting points. Into numbers? Try DoubleSum or the always-challenging Sudoku. Or go old school and piece together one of the auto-themed Jigsaw Puzzles. Ongoing updates like this help you enjoy the best possible version of your Edge® SUV.

Your Edge's Warranty Service History appears to show APIM & TCU replacements after failed reprogramming efforts under Safety Recall 22S14 for distorted or unavailable rear view camera in June 2022, and correction to the prior TCU programming with an APIM reset to restore FordPass connectivity on February 1, 2023. In the latter case, the dealership tech does not mention having used the TSB 22-2404 service procedure to facilitate the correction...

Document Download Link>

TSB 22-2404 - Unable To Update The APIM, TCU Or GWM With The FDRS And USB Drive - Module Recovery.pdf

The TSB addresses the difficulty your Edge faced in June 2022 and includes this passage that seems to describe your Edge's current problem...

The PTS – OTA Dashboard on vehicles with this condition may also display multiple APIM and/or TCU updates have failed, and/or a no OTA history message. In addition, on vehicles with this condition, the customer may have reported experiencing a Ford Power-Up software update failure message via the vehicle display and/or FordPass/LincolnWay. This may be due to an internal software error. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to update and/or recover the APIM/TCU. NOTE: Only 10% of vehicles may require this procedure.

I am unsure, but it is conceivable, that the unreceived APIM & TCU over-the-air updates might address the non-sticky Auto Updates toggle that does not remain in the on/enable position.

Given the newer SYNC version that your Edge is lacking and the absence of OTA updates and history, making a Service appointment at the dealership is a good idea.

Perhaps they can apply TSB 22-2204 -- if they have not already, or, otherwise apply unreceived module updates via the conventional wired connection to Ford's software servers.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Thanks Haz….. thats great info to share with service dept, I am located in a small town and hopefully they the technical service people to work on these systems.

it is now clear to me that it is not working correctly, I purchased vehicle used in Jan 2023, initially had problem connecting to Ford Pass hence the Feb 01/23 reflash service record as listed above, which allowed me accessing Ford Pass, Obviously the unit is not communicating with Ford servers as I have no activity/no updates in the pass 60days, roughly the time I own the vehicle 

off to the service department! Wish me luck again!

• Thanks 1

The following is an especially informative Workshop Manual document on the Over The Air (OTA) update process, along with a component location illustration...

Document Download Links>

Module Configuration - Vehicles With Over-the-Air (OTA) Programming - 2021 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Audio-SYNC System - Hidden Components Illustration - 2021 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.  Posting this update on my issue. Had edge for service last week for the sync auto issue. They were able to duplicate my issue and initially could not get it to work. They reflagged the acm module and was able to get the auto update button to activate and stay on!!!! Success!!!! so I thought 1day later the same condition returned. Stopped back service, had no idea what is going on and will be contacting Ford Support for further direction and advise me. Needless to say I am somewhat frustrated with this issue and lack of resolution .

Will update if and when the solution is found 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just the latest update on my sync issue, unfortunately still not resolved!,

Edge returned from dealer service today for my auto update problem. They were unable to do much if as in nothing ! 
they are quoting SSM 51314 and that Ford engineers are working on a fix? With no date as to when.  Told me just to wait till there is an auto sync update…… which I can’t turn on to get!  See service report below. This vehicle has been to service more in 3 months that my old Dodge Journey was in 12 yrs !!  Keep you posted

image.jpg

Edited by Jdw
SSM correction

You are not alone. Mine has been stuck on 22-2204. The Ford app shows my last activity was 10-7-22. My "Auto Update" however is on, wasn't prior to this version.  Haven't been to dealer yet... they want the car all day, no loaner, and they are 1 hour away.

Edited by MLTEdge

The area of software support is an emerging area of concern with auto OEMs and Ford is not an exception.  Whether it is plain slow development or dis-investment in the IT infrastructure surrounding the tech - the result is the same - long wait times and problems that sometimes end up in a que of other problems needing solutions.  It is hard to say where the pipeline problem exists that holds these things up.  Ford has changed sync development platforms a couple of times I think - and this splits development tracks I think into different paths.  Some of which are closed loops presently (think original sync - no rhyme intended).  

With Ford - at least we still have access to Car Play and Android Auto.  I refuse to get into a model of in car entertainment that contains a dash system with an ongoing service charge (I'm looking at YOU GM!). This is the direction GM and other OEMS are looking to go and it is just another way for us to become revenue streams.  I for one am not excited about this idea.

Edited by TourGuide

Thanks for the responses! Looks like at least you are getting some power up updates, I know this is not a major issue but with the price of these vehicles all systems should be functioning. I guess I will try to contact Ford relations again and see I can get them to move me up the ladder and get my issues resolved, maybe!!!