How should I hide this rust?

Hey! New owner of a Ford Edge here. She's a 2007 with 170k. Bought it from my MIL, who upgraded. The undercarriage is rusty - which scared the MIL into selling. There's also some pretty good surface rust, especially above the left rear wheel.

Has anybody found good fender flares (or alternatives?) for this vehicle? A cursory Google search didn't reveal much. I would imagine with the proximity of the door to the tire that attaching anything large wouldn't to work so well...

PXL_20230721_220447917.jpg

PXL_20230721_220434973_exported_799_1689978326789.jpg

25 minutes ago, JoeVic said:

Damn.  Thats some pretty bad rust.  What area of the country was that driven in?

Minnesota. For a while, about 5 years, she was in the Twin Cities. They are notorious for putting 1" of salt on the roads for every 1/2" of snow that falls. Okay for traction, terrible for vehicles.

• Like 1

I think the pertinent question is really - how long are you going to be in this vehicle - and let that be your guide as to how you decide to proceed.  Lately - my approach has been to live by the motto it is easier to fix a vehicle than it is to buy a new one.  

To me - what is worth fixing follows this general order - #1 Safety items (brakes -major mechanical items, hvac, etc.) - #2 - Structural items (such as repairable rot, or other vehicle soundness related things - such as suspension and handling items) - #3 Standard wear items such as tires, wipers - and I would include brakes in this which you could also argue belongs under #1).  - #4 Convenience items - like heated seats - entertainment system - bluetooth stuff.  - #5 Cosmetic things - like paint and so forth.

By my mode of operating - your issue there would fall under #2 on my list and as such to me would be a high priority item - again - provided you plan to keep the vehicle.  If you don't want to have that repaired - I would take it to a rust proofing outfit and have them goober it up - then watch it for signs of further deterioration.  That would be my jobber solution.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man that’s bad ! My 2011 edge sport in white started rusting there and inside the rear door like bad all because they didn’t fold pinch the wheel well surrounding. It bothered me so much and was no way to repair and was eating through csr and floor . But luckily I just got it totaled out lol so buying a 21 st . But there no way to his fix that