Overheating Issue, 2007 SEL 2.0L FWD

Ownerof2007

Any help would be much appreciated!!  I have an overheating issue I can't figure out on 2007 Edge FWD with ~190K mi.  The vehicle will run with no issues (temperature neutral) then decide to overheat after an unpredicted period of time.  I can sometimes get the engine to cool back down and stay at neutral after running the heater and/or AC.  But other times after trying this, it just runs too hot and I have to pull over. 

I've replaced the thermostat twice and flushed coolant 3 times but issue is not fixed.  No engine lights are on with the vehicle running.  Any ideas?  The heater has not worked for last couple of years so I am wondering if it could be the heater core, but also questioning the temp sensor.  I believe both of those are time-consuming replacements.   

I love this vehicle and have owned it about a decade.  Been a reliable family vehicle with looks & design that was ahead of it time in 2007.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and give input.

Edited by Ownerof2007

Thank you much for the response and download links.  I had not seen these files before and will read through them.  The cooling fans seem to be operating consistently.  Also, there is no sign of coolant leaks from the system inside or outside the vehicle -- That said, pressure will build up high with bubbling in the reservoir when overheating. 

In terms of a potential temperature sensor issue, it seems like the check engine light would come on with bad temperature sensor, but maybe I am wrong on that.

Thank you again.

A possible cause is the RadiatorFans ControlModule, mounted on UpperLeft corner of FanCowling;

it's a NotoriousFailureItem, commonly stops responding to Computers FanSpeed signal

resulting in engine overheating when idling or in Stop+GoTraffic.

Replace with new MotorCraft OEM part only; aftermarket offbrand replacements are often not fully compatible or fail quickly.

Edited by DILLARD000

• 1004ron changed the title to Overheating Issue, 2007 SEL 2.0L FWD