2016 Ford Edge Sport Sync3 1.0 to 3.0 CarPlay Issues

I have battled with upgrading the Sync3 system from version 1.0 to 3.0.  Finally got it to update, but I don't think it was the full update. I ordered the HC3Z-19A387-F USB module and they sent the HC3T-14F014-BE module.  Installed this (Tried two modules with the same model numbers) and the system recognizes my iPhone, but Carplay does not start. What should my next steps be to try to get this working? BTW.. It still shows a star instead of the arrow for the navigation system. Any way to verify the entire software upgrade was successful? A popup also appears every so often "USB hubs are not supported. Please remove" Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Screen.jpg

Edited by danostuff
Add narrative

Was the USB hub from a Ford dealer, or from an online seller or very specifically from China? 3.0 supports CarPlay (2.2 does as well). While that popup error usually is related to the hub as it says, have you tried other USB cables? My 2017 Escape at first seemed to be very finicky about them (maybe it was the initial update from 1.1 to 2.2, then eventually to 3.0 made it better?), and maybe the cheap knock offs are better now, but most of them I try now work. I get very funky ones, like 6 inch long, 90 degree on both sides, so fit in the cubby and make the other drivers not try to use their phones while driving.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

danostuff, did you ever get this going?  I upgraded my Sync to ver. 3.4, and got the same USB error message.  I bought the USB module HC3Z-19A387-F, and finally got it put in today.  Everything worked great.  As soon as I plugged in my iPhone 12, Car Play fired right up.  It sounds like that module they got you is the wrong one.  I would take it back and get the HC3Z-19A387-F.  

• 3 weeks later...