Doesn’t turn over after getting gas?

higuera-tax@hotmail.com

Hi,
I have a 2011 Ford edge Sel 3.5 that doesn’t want to turn over everytime I put gas in the car. And only when I do this... this happens at the gas station.  When I get it to start over after 2-3 tries.  There’s no problem turing the car on, until I go to the gas station.

Service light finally came on and I did ran my Amazon bought OBD scanner which came back with PS2196 and PS2198.  O2 sensors for Bank 1-Sensor 1 and Bank 2-Sensor 1.  

I replaced both O2 sensors, car started up fine and actually seemed to run a bit quieter and more importantly cleared the check engine light.

On good for about a week driving and  many times. However go back to the gas station and same problem.  Except today, when not only did it not turn over put it seemed stuck in trying to turn over.  I turn the ignition key, with the normal sounds before turning over, but when it didn’t start after a couple of seconds I let go of the ignition key but the car kept going ... as if I was turning the key.

I’m not a mechanic by any means so apologies if my terminology or description aren’t the best.

Appreciate any help anyone can share.

Thank you!

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, higuera-tax@hotmail.com said:

Hi,
I have a 2011 Ford edge Sel 3.5 that doesn’t want to turn over everytime I put gas in the car. And only when I do this... this happens at the gas station.  When I get it to start over after 2-3 tries.  There’s no problem turing the car on, until I go to the gas station.

Service light finally came on and I did ran my Amazon bought OBD scanner which came back with PS2196 and PS2198.  O2 sensors for Bank 1-Sensor 1 and Bank 2-Sensor 1.  

I replaced both O2 sensors, car started up fine and actually seemed to run a bit quieter and more importantly cleared the check engine light.

On good for about a week driving and  many times. However go back to the gas station and same problem.  Except today, when not only did it not turn over put it seemed stuck in trying to turn over.  I turn the ignition key, with the normal sounds before turning over, but when it didn’t start after a couple of seconds I let go of the ignition key but the car kept going ... as if I was turning the key.

I’m not a mechanic by any means so apologies if my terminology or description aren’t the best.

Appreciate any help anyone can share.

Thank you!

This is total speculation on my part, but I suspect there are two separate issues here.  The ignition remaining on sounds like a mechanical glitch in the ignition switch itself.  The inability of the car to start after a fill up sounds like an evap system issue  - there is an overload of gas vapors in the combustion chambers.  Try not filling it to the top and see what happens.  Over filling the gas tank can send raw gas to the charcoal canister and damage it.  

Classic indicators of a problem with the evap purge valve. You can test it.

The continuing to crank after you release the key from the start position is expected, from your manual:

Starting the engine

Note: If your vehicle is equipped with a push button start system, refer to Push button start system in this section for starting.

1. Turn the key to 3 (on) without turning the key to 4 (start).
  2. Turn the key to 4 (start), then

release the key as soon as the engine begins cranking. Your vehicle has a computer assisted cranking system that assists in starting the engine. After releasing the key from the 4 (start) position, the engine may continue cranking for up to 10 seconds or until the vehicle starts.

Note: Cranking may be stopped at any time by turning the key to the off position.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My Edge would keep rolling over even after the key was not in the start position after fueling up. Or it would just roll over and not want to start.

I replaced the Evap Purge valve and it fixed this issue. It is a very cheap and simple fix. 

Hopefully this is your issue also, check out youtube for some videos if needed. The part is like $20 and it takes about 5 minutes to change it.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Following.  I had a very low almost engine dieting idle condition only after fueling for about a month, then the P0420 code.  I bought a code reader, saw the list of possible items (mainly oxygen sensor bank 1) and then watched a couple YT videos.

Due to their suggestion I replaced the $25 purge valve part (on the firewall, took 5 minutes).  Skill level 1.5 out of 10 which is about my maximum... ?

That stopped the code and the low idle on fueling for about a month, now the low idle condition has returned...?

so in February when the car goes in for the "minor" $3200 water pump and timing chain replacement I might have Ford look at it.

Whats another $2-300?