Loose Trunk Floor?

oskar27

Kind of funny problem guys but its annoying. I have my 2016 Titanium FWD since new with zero problems. In Canada we change to winter tires every December and been doing this since new but this time after I finish (have to remove the trunk floor over the spare tire to get the jack etc.) there is a rattling noise on the back and close to the inside of the tail gate. No way I can find out why/where but I'm sure its the floor over the spare tire which is some kind of board covered with black thin carpet and feel it is loose. Does this board some how attaches to somewhere to keep it in place?

Thanks

Have you tried removing the panel(s) you describe and taking a test drive, in order to confirm or eliminate it as the source of the noise/vibration/harshness?

From the 2016 Edge Workshop Manual...

1. Remove the load compartment floor cover.

2024324845_RemovableLoadspaceFloorPanel-2016EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.874ae61ece4060c8f24b94364c861bcc.jpg

1. If equipped: Remove the spare tire cover.

599469907_RemovableSpareTireCoverPanel-2016EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.0d93118700bd07a73e2348bbcee78282.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yes It is the panel in your first picture which feels "loose" in my car. I remember when I used to lift that panel to access the storage spaces under it, after it used to kind of "fit or locked" somewhere / somehow. Now it sit loose and yesterday when driving I noticed the end of it by the rear gate was flopping up/dn and making the rattling sound

Last night I play with it and now somehow "feels" its stuck somewhere. Will test drive it today or tomorrow and post back. If noise is still there I will test drive without that panel.

Thanks for your time

• Thanks 1

There are 2 tie down hooks (loops), make sure they are not under the loose panel, otherwise the panel will not fully seat.

Screenshot_2023-12-10-20-31-32-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ec0489595704e6e518bdd949bb4a7652.jpg

Also, the storage bins have raised nibs that go in to slots under the panel. So if they are not aligned correctly, the panel would also not seat correctly.

Screenshot_2023-12-10-20-34-43-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.71db972e4e079a81b1af2b4a27db98d2.jpg

Edited by omar302
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the annoying noise it becomes now a PITA. Test driving today it definitely comes from the drivers side and just behind the rear gate. So I stopped, lower the backs of the rear seats and pushed the trunk floor cover towards the rear seats. No the sound again is there. Next step is to empty the trunk including the spare wheel and give it a try. When I get a chance to do this work I will post back

Empty the trunk completely including the spare tire and drove around and the rattling noise still there. Looked under the car and see nothing neither expecting to see anything cause the noise comes from the inside of the car and in particular on the driver side and just behind the inside of rear gate. Thats the side where the gas tank is. The rear gate closes tight so its not her making the noise. The rear gate at the bottom is about 3" to 4" thick, is it possible something inside the gate came loose? The license plate is not loose neither any of the rear lights. I just cant figure it out. Next try will be on the weekend and have wife sitting on the back seats and see if she can pin point something other wise I will have to go to the dealer but with X-Mas approaching most likely I will do it in January. 

• Like 1

Much appreciate your time Haz and many thanks. I did remove the lift gate panel and found nothing wrong. Tomorrow I will take a drive with the wife at the back seat to see if we can pinpoint where the noise comes from. I dont expect any major discovery so my  plan is on Monday to call the dealer for an appointment. Soon I have news I will post the results here

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

The problem persist and best alternative is the dealer but due to weather and bad traffic (have to cross a bridge which now is under repairs and chaos to cross) I always postpone to make an appointment. Trying to remove the big side panel by the loading area is impossible for me, pulling up and away from the wall it feels I will damage it.

However I noticed when the rear seats are up the noise almost disappears or not as frequent so I now believe this noise is related to the rear seats recline mechanism. Reading on the web they say the 2 motors under the rear seats are connected to the switch on the drivers side rear panel via a "tunnel". I also noticed there is a steel cable per motor which goes towards that rear panel. If the "tunnel" is metallic then the noise I hear is that, a steel cable banging on the walls of metal.

To view the motors mechanism properly under the rear seats I am able to lift the one pc seat but there are cables attached to it and before removing the seat I should first disconnect these cables. Is there any schematic available of all wiring / mechanism involved on the 2 reclining motors? (2016 Edge Titanium)

Thanks

I had a similar rattle shortly after installing winter tires this year, and thought it was something inside the cabin rattling. Turned out to be the upper shock mounts on the rear shocks - more specifically the bushings in the mounts were badly worn.  Ours has about 88,000 Kms on it. It sounded like a seat belt or seat was loose when it first happened, and got progressively worse. The mounts can be replaced separately, but at 50,000+ miles it was probably time for new shocks anyway. Our shop replaced both side mounts and shocks (with a 'kit' of parts) in under an hour and the noise was gone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help mate, something new to look for but I will be very surprised if its the shock mounts. As I mentioned I am sure my noise is related to the reclined rear seat cause when the seats are up the noise is almost gone and when the back of the seats is down the noise is there in every pot whole/bump. Didnt have the time yet to check but eventually I will.