2019 Edge Transmission Not Long For This World?

waflyboy

About a year ago I read @colinc755's suggestions about servicing the 8F35 transmission fluid. At that time, with 65,000 miles on the vehicle, I had our local Ford service department drain and fill the transmission. (I do not believe it had been done prior to this.) This seemed to resolve some of the hard shifting and bucking which manifested from the transmission at the time. Yesterday, a year later, with 85,000 miles on the vehicle, I had the same service done (along with changing the PTU and rear differential oil). I requested that the tech collect a sample of the old fluid for me, as I'd like to have an analysis done. I found the sample to be nearly black in color. Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't the ULV fluid red when fresh? For what it's worth, I didn't notice any distinct "burnt" smell.

The transmission seems to work okay, with no more hard shifting and bucking than the last 60,000 miles we've had the car. But based on the fluid color I wonder if I have an impending transmission failure. Wondering if the hive mind has any thoughts on this.

I'm expecting the lab results from Blackstone in a couple of weeks. Hopefully that will provide some insight.

PXL_20231212_013037585.jpg

I think Mercon ULV is like Mercon LV, and it starts out darker red and get really dark really quick. When the first Mercon LV vehicles came out Ford published a document that fluid color, as long as not brown or smelling burnt, is not a good indicator of health of fluid or transmission. Obviously a lot of solids in it is bad also.

I also swapped the PTU Fluid to Redline Lightweight Shockproof (AKA Smurf Blood, because it's blue).  After ~8,000 miles, there's way less gunk in it, compared to OEM, but with ~8,000 miles, that's nothing on new fluid, but I wanted to make sure that I got as much of the OEM fluid out of there.  The 1st pic is the 1st drain with the OEM fluid 20230223_215840.thumb.jpg.3ef1c2f305fae4361527f3e2b9335f3b.jpg

& this is the most recent drain with Redline Lightweight Shockproof Attach149742_20231124_144822.thumb.jpg.ce23ef980f2c512dce114fd28307ded4.jpg

To my knowledge, there's no filter in these transmissions, so any wear from the transmission just sits in the coolant & cycled through everything. When I do another 3x drain & fill I'll probably switch to Valvoline. Probably by that time MacT will have changed his 2019 fluid a couple of times & report on the results. 

1 hour ago, dabangsta said:

It does have a filter, and while it isn't user serviceable it is more like ones that are, not just a screen in between the case halves, but at bottom of the pump.

Thanks. I guess it is serviceable when you split the trans open, lol. 

Here's MacT talking about the ULV fluids:

https://youtu.be/kJQW6wXS0qg?si=e4Hbwa7tYkCXaygT

• 1 month later...

Here is the fluid analysis from my original post. Aluminum and copper are 9x the "universal average". Iron is 2x. It would be interesting to compare numbers from other 8F35s.

The transmission seems to shift ok. Guess I'll take Blackstone's advice and check it again in 10k miles. Anybody have thoughts or experience with this?

Thank you.

image.thumb.png.4fc75bca74784c1e5b5818cb6574eaf3.png