2011 Edge Park aid issues and speaker location?? Sensor replacement?

Hi ALL! I inherited a 2011 Edge SEL that was neglected badly by my cousin and have been slowly fixing many things. The latest obsession is park aid not working. Buddy scanned it with a good OBDII reader instead of my little POS one 😁 I have one sensor to replace but it also identified speaker issue. I have googled and tried to locate but struggling bad to positively locate. It is NOT in the rear passenger cargo area or C pillar area. On left cargo area i see several modules and there is something that sits beneath taillight area that kind of looks like it may have a speaker snapped into place on the module. This does not look like the replacement speakers I see on ebay/amazon. So if anyone knows actual speaker location it would be greatly appreciated. 

Sensor replacement looks like I will have to detach bumper cover to angle it back to get access to sensor? I had it on hoist and there is metal rebar, black foam and you can contort your hand to feel isensor but I am doubting you can remove and replace without disconnecting bumper cover. Am i missing some secret trick? Guessing 13 y/o bumper attachment screws in the rear wheel well areas will be a treat to loosen. 

thanks very much Haz! Interesting, the first attachment for diagnostic says the speaker is attached to the module. The Park aid removal & install attachment does not show the speaker attached. When I look for the module on Ebay (pic attached) I do not see any speaker attached. When i search for speaker they show pic below 2011 FORD EDGE OEM PARKING BRAKE COMPUTER CONTROL MODULE 6G91-2598-CF - Picture 1 of 5

New Genuine Ford Parking Aid Speaker Assembly (2004-2019) OE 3F2Z15K864BA - Picture 1 of 3

The Workshop Manual procedure was revised in March 2016, and I'd say the Technical Writer's choice of "a speaker attached to the PAM" -- implying the speaker is physically fastened-to the PAM, or, fastened-upon the PAM -- is inaccurate.

Better to say it's electrically connected to the PAM, or, wired to the PAM, since they are separate components, as shown in the online images you found and per garycrist's photos in his discussion.

ParkingAidComponents-2011Edge.thumb.jpg.1871ade0128af67cc390edb7dc08de64.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

thanks again! The speaker is exactly where pictured...it was completely hidden by seatbelt (DOH)! I replaced the speaker and I now have annoying beeping as soon as I put it in reverse and I have the option to shut that feature off. i assume this is sort of like a semi or 5T truck that has a reverse audio warning..well sort of..in the case of the Edge...it tells driver their vehicle is in reverse instead of people outside (just in case driver doesn't realize R means reverse, or stuff moving past them isn't actually moving forward...you are in reverse! 😆).

I mock that part but I do like the parking sensors that beep as you get closer to something. I assume these are not optional to shut off. At the moment one of my sensors not working so I will see if that system becomes operable when I replace the dud. 🤞

• Thanks 1

Hey thank you @canucklehead for posting your fix for others too. It took

me over a year to find that stupid speaker! It was thanks to @Haz for

publishing the hint on where to find that speaker! And as you found out,

it was an easy fix.

If I was still working in a dealership, that would be a money maker to

"Flat Rate". If one is not familiar with the term "Flat Rate", it is where

one looks up the labor rate in hours to perform a certain job. As @Haz

posted these steps to R&R the part, the rate was set for that job.

Where Technicians can make money is by what I posted.

Is it fair? It all depended with me, when I had a chance, on client attitude!

In Cali, I used to have a 2-3 week waiting line for repairs! Sometimes a box

of donuts would save a person LOTS OF DOLLARS!

yeah, Haz ROCKS, he was super helpful and patient with me. 

My scan showed speaker and one sensor not working that I'm yet to replace. When i replaced speaker and put it in reverse I got solid beeping. I initially thought this was an idiot warning to tell me I'm in reverse, so I choose to shut off park aid. I now wonder if it is on solid to tell me one of my sensors isn't working! I will replace sensor later this week and know for sure. 

• Haha 1

DIAGNOSTIC UPDATE: 

SYMPTOMS: My dash would display park aid fault.

scan tool said inner parking sensor and speaker. I first replaced speaker and that dash message went away. This makes me wonder if the dash display error message is telling you your speaker isn't working? 

So with speaker replaced when I put it in R, I get solid steady beep, like a commercial vehicle but again, no dash error message now. I have option to switch off the park aid to stop the annoying solid beep. When I replaced all 4 sensors, all is now good (bumper is off, 4 pack of sensors is cheap, i'd say do them all and save the working ones as spares, toss the broken one.) This makes me wonder if Ford defaults to solid beep to tell you one of your sensors isn't working ?? 

From the above-attached Parking Aid - Diagnosis and Testing document, in its Principles of Operation section (With emphasis added) ...

The parking aid system is enabled when the ignition switch is in the RUN position and the transmission in reverse. The parking aid system is disabled if a fault is detected in 1 of the 4 sensors, the parking aid speaker, or the PAM . This is indicated by a parking aid disabled warning message in the message center.

and

A variable-rate warning tone is generated from a speaker attached to the PAM . The speaker increases its warning tone rate as the vehicle gets closer to an obstacle. When an object is detected within 30 cm (12 in) of the sensors, the warning tone becomes continuous.

So, if your Edge no longer displays the warning message, and the Parking Aid system is enabled, then no Parking Aid system faults are being detected.

Additionally, the continuous tone must be the result of at least one of the sensors reporting an object exists within 12 inches.

If your Scan Tool is capable of selecting and monitoring PID values, then with the ignition switch in Run (but with engine NOT started or running), set the parking brake and put the transmission selector into Reverse, and access these PID values from that same Parking Aid - Diagnosis and Testing document...

PAM PID Chart

PID Description
LRI_DIST Left rear inner parking aid sensor distance
LRO_DIST Left rear outer parking aid sensor distance
RRI_DIST Right rear inner parking aid sensor distance
RRO_DIST Right rear outer parking aid sensor distance
TRANSGR Transmission gear position

The distance PIDs read between 0 and 255 cm (0 and 8 ft) on a correctly functioning system and should reveal what sensor is triggering the continuous Parking Aid speaker tone, with 12 inches equaling about 30.5 cm.

Once again, from the Parking Aid - Diagnosis and Testing document...

image.png.0ec9582f16dd195b3dcb923058b0a938.pngimage.png.c5165d8e517f0112ea257605daaabfa7.png

Attached below are the  Elevation System Check and Azimuth System Check Workshop Manual documents...

Good luck!

Elevation System Check - Parking Aid - General Procedures - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf Azimuth System Check - Parking Aid - General Procedures - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

in my case, there was nothing to detect at all to cause the speaker to be on constantly...unless maybe the dud sensor was detecting something right on top of it causing the full-on speaker. Once i replaced the sensors, the system worked as it should. I thought if one of my sensors not working, I would get zero audio. 

Had also tried the stethescope thing and could hear clicking in all my sensors before I replaced them.

Diagnostic tool said speaker not working (I replaced) and driver inner sensor.