Gas Guage

Doorpro

Hi all,

I hope that this is the correct place to ask about an issue that my wife is having in her 2015 Ford Edge Sport. I just changed the battery and since doing that the gas gauge is showing that she needs gas when she was pretty sure that she was about 1/4 full. Anyway, I had her put gas in before getting on the freeway and she only filled up half the tank. She now says that the miles left to go on the half tank of gas is about the same that it reads on a full tank. I'm guessing that this will fix itself with driving, but she won't let it go until I have an answer. :) Any suggestions would be great, and I thank anyone that helps.

Regards,

Doug.

• Confused 1

If your problem is only that the distance to empty (DTE) is showing more miles than before, then that is normal after the battery is disconnected.

This is because after a battery disconnect the average mpg used to calculate DTE is reset to a default value. It will then become more realistic after a few fill-ups.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, omar302 said:

If your problem is only that the distance to empty (DTE) is showing more miles than before, then that is normal after the battery is disconnected.

This is because after a battery disconnect the average mpg used to calculate DTE is reset to a default value. It will then become more realistic after a few fill-ups.

Thanks Omar302, I thought that was the problem and that it would sort itself out. Once again though, thank you both for all the help. Doug.

Edited by Doorpro

Ok, the DTE still hasn't reset but I think that it's too early and my wife hasn't filled up yet being that she rarely moves the car.

Anyhow I have noticed another thing that I have never experienced before and that is that when a passenger gets in the car and doesn't click the seatbelt on fairly quickly the radio gets muted. Reading threads from Google it says that it cannot be disabled but I have never heard this before and when I'm driving and she's a passenger her seatbelt always takes a minute and a reminder from me when the chime starts. Any ideas on this one and I hope that its ok to have not started a new thread but it all seems like a new battery issue.

Thank you all.

6 hours ago, Doorpro said:

Anyhow I have noticed another thing that I have never experienced before and that is that when a passenger gets in the car and doesn't click the seatbelt on fairly quickly the radio gets muted. Reading threads from Google it says that it cannot be disabled but I have never heard this before and when I'm driving and she's a passenger her seatbelt always takes a minute and a reminder from me when the chime starts. Any ideas on this one and I hope that its ok to have not started a new thread but it all seems like a new battery issue.

Thank you all.

That is part of MyKey. You can restrict a key for a new driver or or loaning it out (I set it up for my 2012 Fusion for my son at first). I mean...the answer is to buckle up, but if you get a message about MyKey enabled when you start it up, you need a second admin key to turn off MyKey if that is not what you want (limit radio volume, limit top speed, warn at set speeds, mute radio with no seat belt, etc).

• Thanks 1

Thank you dabangsta I was thinking that exact same thing and my only concern is why I didn't see it before now. The car is almost 9 years old and has under 40k miles so as you might imagine it sits a lot but still weird how I have never seen this before the battery change. Once again, thank you. Doug.

WelI, I figured it out.

When the battery went bad my wife decided to try the spare key, "Don't say it, I know" :). Anyway, now that I have gone back to the original key it appears that it is different from the one that she tried out for a few days. The original works perfectly, and the radio doesn't mute any more. God knows how the two keys are different however the car got stolen a couple of years ago and when we got it back I had all the locks, keys and fobs changed so perhaps the dealer did this and maybe it's a normal practice. Once again thanks for the help. Regards, Doug.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dabangsta said:

That is part of MyKey. You can restrict a key for a new driver or or loaning it out (I set it up for my 2012 Fusion for my son at first). I mean...the answer is to buckle up, but if you get a message about MyKey enabled when you start it up, you need a second admin key to turn off MyKey if that is not what you want (limit radio volume, limit top speed, warn at set speeds, mute radio with no seat belt, etc).

WelI, I figured it out after you mentioned a second key.

When the battery went bad my wife decided to try the spare key, "Don't say it, I know" :). Anyway, now that I have gone back to the original key it appears that it is different from the one that she tried out for a few days. The original works perfectly, and the radio doesn't mute any more. God knows how the two keys are different however the car got stolen a couple of years ago and when we got it back I had all the locks, keys and fobs changed so perhaps the dealer did this and maybe it's a normal practice. Once again thanks for the help. Regards, Doug.

Edited by Doorpro