2024 Edge ST hood alignment

Hi Everyone,

New member and excited to be trying out a Ford (I've had Mazdas for years).

Unfortunately, finding some little quality issues. Latest one is the hood seems to stick out around 1/4 inch farther on the drivers side than the passenger.

Passenger side is nice and flush, the driver's side doesn't line up and sticks out. The hood seems to line up everywhere else fine.

Please see attached pics.

Anyone have this on their rigs?

I've mentioned it to the dealer, waiting on a reply.

IMG_9642.thumb.jpg.42619b3b91117173c650435a06b486bf.jpgIMG_9641.thumb.jpg.0f8c83f14a63e0cdab999c3b875d2160.jpg

Edited by GTEyes

Welcome to the Forum, @GTEyes!

Image to supplement @garycrist's comment...

HoodBumpStopRubbersIllustration-2024EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.c9a0812d36deb5ae4b7e9194dbf1614c.jpg

If adjusting the bump stop does not correct the excessive headlamp-to-hood margin, or, you just prefer to have your dealer perform the corrective work...

The 2024 Edge Workshop Manual provides the following illustration and table of body component margin and flushness tolerances:

HoodMarginandFlushnessSpecifications-FrontEndImage-2024EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.d91e7807584cc1b3078444e9b39dcd71.jpg

HoodMarginandFlushnessSpecifications-DimensionalTable-2024EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.93353470770925f7c393304fb4c03a67.jpg

Your dealer should be able to correct the condition, possibly by aligning the hood and/or adjusting the bumper cover and headlamp assembly to satisfy the above margin & flushness dimensional tolerances.

Simply for your awareness of potential corrective process, the Hood Alignment procedure is attached below as a PDF document. Please note that due to PDF formatting, the action-step description at the bottom of all except the last page, applies to the illustration on the following page.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks to you both.

I will take a look and see what the rubber bumpers are looking like but that would only take care of the vertical issue, the hood is still out a fair bit from the grill piece below it.

@Haz I was hoping someone would provide a tolerance spec..Thanks!

Also, @Haz I don't see the pdf attachment?

• Thanks 2

• 1004ron changed the title to 2024 Edge ST hood alignment

Back in the corner of the shop, is a piece of greasy-dirty 4X4. It's kind

of gnawed up too. It is used as a door, hood and trunk modification device!🙄

Bending err adjusting  the post on a door to either make the window roll-up

better or cure a wind noise was another trick I've used too!

Back to yours, watch-out for "hood flutter" at speed! You only want enough preload

on the hood for it not to flutter at YOUR top speed. That keeps the life of the hood, rubber

bumper and it's mount last longer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, garycrist said:

Back to yours, watch-out for "hood flutter" at speed! You only want enough preload

on the hood for it not to flutter at YOUR top speed. That keeps the life of the hood, rubber

Good advice. I noticed some flutter on my road trip earlier in the week so we will see if this takes care of that issue as well.

I measured the gap and are right in spec, which is very helpful to know.

I had someone use the piece of wood trick on a VW GTi I had years ago. Passenger door wouldn't seal properly along the top...unfortunately, that was only the beginning of the issues with that car.

Edited by GTEyes
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 10:32 PM, garycrist said:

Had to make some adjustments as I was experiencing some pretty obvious hood flutter after tinkering with the rubber bumper. Hopefully I found the happy medium of hood alignment vs hood flutter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GTEyes did you check the hood with a straight edge?   My 2015 SEL bought new had an issue with a gap on the driver's side also.  I never noticed at first.  It was more noticeable looking straight in at the hood. Long story short, the hood was actually deformed. Probably a bad stamping. After jumping through some hoops, Ford approved a new hood.  What I didn't like was the new hood was painted by the dealer, as compared to the baked on or whatever they do at the factory. It seems to have held up, but the whole issue didn't help with Ford Quality.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JoeVic said:

GTEyes did you check the hood with a straight edge?   My 2015 SEL bought new had an issue with a gap on the driver's side also.  I never noticed at first.  It was more noticeable looking straight in at the hood. Long story short, the hood was actually deformed. Probably a bad stamping. After jumping through some hoops, Ford approved a new hood.  What I didn't like was the new hood was painted by the dealer, as compared to the baked on or whatever they do at the factory. It seems to have held up, but the whole issue didn't help with Ford Quality.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's nice to hear from other folks on the same issue!

There are some anomalies in the hood for sure. The edge along the grill is not straight, slightly warped/wavy, so I am guessing it's a deformed hood. I would almost rather take the hood as is than have another painted and used to replace the one on the vehicle now.

Drive home today had some minor fluttering but only when oncoming trucks zoomed by on the hwy.

I will mention it when I am in for my first service to see if they think it meets spec.

Edited by GTEyes