Rear Bumper protector

Here is the question, and I think is easier to find this that to find an aftermarket one. As we all know, many car manufacturers today offer bumper covers for their SUV's, I'm wondering if any will fit the Edge as well, shapewise they are not much different. I was looking the other day a GM and Lexus on a parking lot and they are thicker, the Lexus one was even covered in stainless steel, metal, very nice both, does anybody had tried this in any Edge till now....Maybe we can get one from GM, or any imported brand a nice cover far better than the one Ford offers...

post-4426-1236224714_thumb.jpg

I really enjoy the one I got from ebay....$45 shipped

I have seen a few incarnations of those aftermarket , but those are not more than a piece of rubber mat cut to the size and shape and period, sorry but I'm after something a little bit more elaborated, it at least those guys would use the lines on the rubber vertical instead of horizontal, it will look a lot better, like that is a little rudimentary and honestly I could do it myself...

I have seen a few incarnations of those aftermarket , but those are not more than a piece of rubber mat cut to the size and shape and period, sorry but I'm after something a little bit more elaborated, it at least those guys would use the lines on the rubber vertical instead of horizontal, it will look a lot better, like that is a little rudimentary and honestly I could do it myself...

I'm not trying to impress anyone with a small rubber piece that's designed to keep my paint from getting harmed....don't think it'll cost me points in the parking lot...

one of the first versions sold here by ALS was "a bit more elaborate" than than the eBay model. I have one, see my gallery, and it is very similar to what you link to with nice highly raised "bumps". it was actually molded/produced for the Edge and not "a piece of rubber mat cut to the size and shape" - either way, something is better than nada and I am glad I have mine

one of the first versions sold here by ALS was "a bit more elaborate" than than the eBay model. I have one, see my gallery, and it is very similar to what you link to with nice highly raised "bumps". it was actually molded/produced for the Edge and not "a piece of rubber mat cut to the size and shape" - either way, something is better than nada and I am glad I have mine

AMEN. Sure helps when loading/unloading DJ equipment and Real Estate signs.

I'm not trying to impress anyone with a small rubber piece that's designed to keep my paint from getting harmed....don't think it'll cost me points in the parking lot...

I rarely do something becasue of others, and I don't care a little bit about what others think, but the problem is that I'm very picky with myself, what I do not like, I do not like and period..

Lex I knew about this one too late, while they began with the quality problems and later on discontinued it, that indeed look very nice, but unfortunatelly for us no longer in production...So we need ot find other alternatives now...

Edited by Kanatronic

Here is the question, and I think is easier to find this that to find an aftermarket one. As we all know, many car manufacturers today offer bumper covers for their SUV's, I'm wondering if any will fit the Edge as well, shapewise they are not much different. I was looking the other day a GM and Lexus on a parking lot and they are thicker, the Lexus one was even covered in stainless steel, metal, very nice both, does anybody had tried this in any Edge till now....Maybe we can get one from GM, or any imported brand a nice cover far better than the one Ford offers...

I hear you on that I bought a Ford one and it is just a flimsy piece of plasticized rubber with a super sticky adhesive backing. It does come with a flat plastic installation tool to help avoid air bubbles - but if it was thicker air bubbles wouldn't be an issue. Doesn't look half bad though, it has EDGE embossed in the middle of it and I do like my edge alot.

I hear you on that I bought a Ford one and it is just a flimsy piece of plasticized rubber with a super sticky adhesive backing. It does come with a flat plastic installation tool to help avoid air bubbles - but if it was thicker air bubbles wouldn't be an issue. Doesn't look half bad though, it has EDGE embossed in the middle of it and I do like my edge alot.

That is the main problem, I would like it in black thick rubber, like all cars, not sure about those, tomorrow will see if I can measure one of the GMC ones to see they are the cheapest...

Edited by Kanatronic

• 4 weeks later...
It looks like it doesn't cover as well as others...

What seems ot me is that this one is not placed, was just drop on top, if you look closely the distances are not equal from both sides, maybe was just as an example to take the picture, but honestly who needs more coverage than that???

The problem with these bumper protectors is they do not extend over the lip of the bumper....where damage will be more likely to occur. I'm just careful when loading and unloading Coppy.

There is only a few SUV's nowadays in which the lip of the bumper is actualy covered, the huge majority of the SUV's step pads does not, and it is more like a cosmetic thing, anyway I rarely put anything over the bumper, I just lift it to the center of the cargo compartment and period...

I notice so many vehicles with the lip covered.. from SUVs, COVs to mini vans. Seeing as how I ride a bike, I am stuck behind a lot of cars and pay attention to these things and I would say, I am rather surprised by how many actually do cover the lip. older models as well as newer cars... yet ours did not even come with one period

I notice so many vehicles with the lip covered.. from SUVs, COVs to mini vans. Seeing as how I ride a bike, I am stuck behind a lot of cars and pay attention to these things and I would say, I am rather surprised by how many actually do cover the lip. older models as well as newer cars... yet ours did not even come with one period

In the manufacturing industry this is a way of cost reducing the product - taking out cost while keeping the margins the same.

If you notice the Ford Edge is deficient in a number of areas: no glove box light, to center console light, no under hood light, etc.

If I look at my '95 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer you can see how Ford has cut cost and weight out of the vehicle.

Now as owners we have to try and put these basic things back on the vehicle.

SMOKIN EDGE

Not sure guys, you are being extremely critical with the Ford guys, just a few thoughts, first I have nothing to look under my hood for the last 6 years to come, my car will be under warranty, and I think that I can wait till the morning to do whatever I may have to do under the hood, as add a fluid, etc...anyway I do not think that any light they will place there will be enough, that is just an absurd waste or money, for that same reason I did not place these nice pistons, or whatever they call it...about the glove compartment, it is true that some cars have light, but the Edge's is not so big to absolutely need a light, just with one hand I could take out all what I have in there, and on the center console, that stupid thing, honestly I feel I have no much use for it, for my laptop is too small, for GPS, mine do not fit there, for CDs it is too uncomfortable, for sunglasses, I need them handy, the coins get out of the slots constantly, so if they let me choose, I would even prefer not to have it, and have more space instead, to be more comfortable, and have the speed stick besides the wheel as many other cars, this serve no other purpose that taking space and comfort...period...

Now about the bumper cover, I will not ask that much, just having one that looks nice and serve the purpose will be enough for me...

I will try to get a template of cardboard and have it with me, and in every freaking can I see parked, will test to see if I could find one that really fits and look better...if they have the lap co cover the lip, much better, but if not, what can we do?

Edited by Kanatronic

Did anybody had tried this one? This one looks cool...just concerned about the quality now, it seems a little thin, similar to the stock, but that is the kind of shape I'm looking for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-EDGE-M...emZ260376961487

be64_1.JPG

c380_1.JPG

I have this EXACT model installed on my Edge. I purchased it about 3 weeks ago (see my gallery for the pic). It works great and it's already been useful. I play bass in a church worship team and I'm lugging my bass around quite a bit. I had issus with the case clipping the bumper on my previous SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee), so I wanted protection.

I was also concerned with the cover being close enough to the edge of the bumper so it would protect it as much as possible. I simply installed it as close to the edge as possible...it matched the contour of the bumper perfectly and looks great.

This is a bit off topic, but the only problem I have with the friggin' thing is that it's bubbling in the middle of the cover...it's like there are air bubbles trapped that I can't get out. I installed it in 70* ambient temperature while it was in my garage...I'm thinking about leaving it in the sun on a warm day and trying to work the bubbles out by hand. Any suggestions?

Not sure guys, you are being extremely critical with the Ford guys, just a few thoughts, first I have nothing to look under my hood for the last 6 years to come, my car will be under warranty, and I think that I can wait till the morning to do whatever I may have to do under the hood, as add a fluid, etc...anyway I do not think that any light they will place there will be enough, that is just an absurd waste or money, for that same reason I did not place these nice pistons, or whatever they call it...about the glove compartment, it is true that some cars have light, but the Edge's is not so big to absolutely need a light, just with one hand I could take out all what I have in there, and on the center console, that stupid thing, honestly I feel I have no much use for it, for my laptop is too small, for GPS, mine do not fit there, for CDs it is too uncomfortable, for sunglasses, I need them handy, the coins get out of the slots constantly, so if they let me choose, I would even prefer not to have it, and have more space instead, to be more comfortable, and have the speed stick besides the wheel as many other cars, this serve no other purpose that taking space and comfort...period...

Now about the bumper cover, I will not ask that much, just having one that looks nice and serve the purpose will be enough for me...

I will try to get a template of cardboard and have it with me, and in every freaking can I see parked, will test to see if I could find one that really fits and look better...if they have the lap co cover the lip, much better, but if not, what can we do?

Under the hood lights are perfect for those late night belt breaks, battery problems and other issues. Sure, if it's under warranty, you can call assistance....but what if it's something you can fix right there? Digging in the glovebox at night is a pain when there's no light. It's the little things that come in handy when certain situations arise...just my opinion.

Under the hood lights are perfect for those late night belt breaks, battery problems and other issues. Sure, if it's under warranty, you can call assistance....but what if it's something you can fix right there? Digging in the glovebox at night is a pain when there's no light. It's the little things that come in handy when certain situations arise...just my opinion.

Do you really beleive that this little bulb/light that they place under the hook will really help you in the middle of the road in the dark??? Maybe get a 12V lamp with an extension from cigarrette lighter instead, if you are surrounded by other lights, maybe, but in that case you do not need the little light, I do not know, I have had cars all my life, and I have never foud useful that light on the hood in the cases I had it...belt breakage only happen if you do not check it regularly, and belts nowdays last a long time unless defective...

Edited by Kanatronic