popping sound in door

hellerjw

I have a 2007 Edge SEL Plus with 27,000 miles on it and in the last 6 months I've noticed an increasingly frequent popping sound coming from somewhere in or near the front passenger door window.

I've tried to isolate it and can't determine if its the door or the pillar. It sounds like the glass ticking/popping and does it particulary when I start from a dead stop or when the frame flexes. It doesn't do it at highway speeds which I'm guessing is due to the increased air pressure pushing against the door/window. It is most noticeable in the 20-30 MPH range.

Its driving me crazy trying to track down this annoying popping sound. Anyone else experience this?

I have a 2007 Edge SEL Plus with 27,000 miles on it and in the last 6 months I've noticed an increasingly frequent popping sound coming from somewhere in or near the front passenger door window.

I've tried to isolate it and can't determine if its the door or the pillar. It sounds like the glass ticking/popping and does it particulary when I start from a dead stop or when the frame flexes. It doesn't do it at highway speeds which I'm guessing is due to the increased air pressure pushing against the door/window. It is most noticeable in the 20-30 MPH range.

Its driving me crazy trying to track down this annoying popping sound. Anyone else experience this?

Hi hellerjw. :D No, have not experienced it.

First, check your glove compartment and the "map/storage compartment" on the front passenger door to see if anything stored in those two areas may be bouncing back and forth during acceleration/low speed driving. Also, check the passenger side sunvisor to see if it is clipped in place. If it's not properly fastened, it could also be a cause of the type of noise you are experiencing (this has happened to others in the past).

If there is nothing in those three spots that is causing the noise, this would be my next recommendation (especially since you stated it is driving you crazy): Since you are experiencing a problem/concern, make a service appointment and let your Dealerships Service Department diagnose and correct it while you are still under Warranty.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Sounds like a loose mount for the window. This will be evident if you have the window halfway down and pull up on the window and it pulls up or goes down, if it is secure then I am wrong

It isn't another object in the car causing it, I've already tried removing everything from inside the vehicle. I also checked the visors, adjusted the passenger seat in multiple positions thinking it might be the seat itself, etc. It is definitely coming from the front passenger door panel/window. I tend to hear it near the pillar area but not always.

I will check this and let you know what I find. I don't remember the window being loose but will check it again.

I had one of the service techs do a ride-along with me but of course it didn't make the noise then. Its also been very cold lately and it tends to do it more frequently the higher the outdoor temperature, which may explain why I started noticing it toward the end of last summer.

Edited by hellerjw

By any chance do you have Side Window Deflectors installed?

It isn't another object in the car causing it, I've already tried removing everything from inside the vehicle. I also checked the visors, adjusted the passenger seat in multiple positions thinking it might be the seat itself, etc. It is definitely coming from the front passenger door panel/window. I tend to hear it near the pillar area but not always.

I will check this and let you know what I find. I don't remember the window being loose but will check it again.

I had one of the service techs do a ride-along with me but of course it didn't make the noise then. Its also been very cold lately and it tends to do it more frequently the higher the outdoor temperature, which may explain why I started noticing it toward the end of last summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Any luck tracking it down. It sounds eerily similar to an issue I'm having with my 2008. A popping creaking/noise, kinda sounds like styrofoam being rubbed together, coming from somewhere in the drivers door or window at lower speeds. The rear driver's door does it as well.

I've had into the shop twice trying to find out what is causing it, with no luck. The replaced the outside trim piece that goes along the top of the door. (Not the window frame, that long horizontal piece that starts at the mirror and goes along the top of the door.) No help there.

Today they replaced all the weatherstripping in both drivers doors, thinking maybe they were sticking and rubbing against each other somehow causing the noise. Thought it might be because if you crack the doors open (where they're still latched but not full closed) the noise goes away. No luck with the new weatherstipping.

The tech has been extremely helpful trying t ofind out what it is, but the service manager took a ride in it today and essentially declared that it's normal noise from body flex and gave me the impression I should just live with it. :banghead: Tech doesn't think it's mechanical, but we can't seem to isolate it. He made some kind of posting on an internal ford service to see if anyone else around the country has dealt with a similar problem. Hopefully he finds something out.

Low speed, uneven surfaces, when the body might flex, I get a noise. Highway speeds and I don't notice a thing. If I roll the window down just a little bit while it's creeping along, the noise also goes away.

It drives me insane, but I got no ideas what might be causing it. Perhaps it is normal body flex making things creak, but it didn't do it when I first bought the car in December.

Anyone here got any ideas?

Any luck tracking it down. It sounds eerily similar to an issue I'm having with my 2008. A popping creaking/noise, kinda sounds like styrofoam being rubbed together, coming from somewhere in the drivers door or window at lower speeds. The rear driver's door does it as well.

I've had into the shop twice trying to find out what is causing it, with no luck. The replaced the outside trim piece that goes along the top of the door. (Not the window frame, that long horizontal piece that starts at the mirror and goes along the top of the door.) No help there.

Today they replaced all the weatherstripping in both drivers doors, thinking maybe they were sticking and rubbing against each other somehow causing the noise. Thought it might be because if you crack the doors open (where they're still latched but not full closed) the noise goes away. No luck with the new weatherstipping.

The tech has been extremely helpful trying t ofind out what it is, but the service manager took a ride in it today and essentially declared that it's normal noise from body flex and gave me the impression I should just live with it. :banghead: Tech doesn't think it's mechanical, but we can't seem to isolate it. He made some kind of posting on an internal ford service to see if anyone else around the country has dealt with a similar problem. Hopefully he finds something out.

Low speed, uneven surfaces, when the body might flex, I get a noise. Highway speeds and I don't notice a thing. If I roll the window down just a little bit while it's creeping along, the noise also goes away.

It drives me insane, but I got no ideas what might be causing it. Perhaps it is normal body flex making things creak, but it didn't do it when I first bought the car in December.

Hi Barry. :D Have you tried lubricating the window seals well with a good high quality Silicone Lubricant? Either spray on type, or gel. Spray on may be easier for you to get into the window frame.

At this point, it would certainly be worth a try.

A few important points. First, if purchasing the gel type, be sure you purchase a Silicone Lubricant, not a silicone adhesive. :banghead:

Next, be sure you purchase a high quality Silicon Lubricant that is specifically made to lubricate and protect rubber seals. There are cheap silicone lubricants that are not good for this type of application.

Next, if you get the spray type, use the little straw extension to get up into the frames well. For open areas, spray on a cloth and wipe on, to minimize overspray onto other components. Keep a cloth handy either way to quickly wipe up drips and overspray. If using the gel type, simply apply it with your finger of choice :shades: and spread it over all rubber seals. Then wipe off any excess with a clean cloth.

While you are at it, also lubricate the door and trunk seals. It will help protect them, and stop any noises that may also be emanating from them.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Barry. :D Have you tried lubricating the window seals well with a good high quality Silicone Lubricant? Either spray on type, or gel. Spray on may be easier for you to get into the window frame.

At this point, it would certainly be worth a try.

A few important points. First, if purchasing the gel type, be sure you purchase a Silicone Lubricant, not a silicone adhesive. :banghead:

Next, be sure you purchase a high quality Silicon Lubricant that is specifically made to lubricate and protect rubber seals. There are cheap silicone lubricants that are not good for this type of application.

Next, if you get the spray type, use the little straw extension to get up into the frames well. For open areas, spray on a cloth and wipe on, to minimize overspray onto other components. Keep a cloth handy either way to quickly wipe up drips and overspray. If using the gel type, simply apply it with your finger of choice :shades: and spread it over all rubber seals. Then wipe off any excess with a clean cloth.

While you are at it, also lubricate the door and trunk seals. It will help protect them, and stop any noises that may also be emanating from them.

They did spreay some kind of lubricant on the old wetherstripping, and sprayed some kind of silicone inside them, but no luck with that either. I think I will take your suggestion and get some and try the window seals and tracks, as well. Thought about taking the door panel off to investigate myself. You've done it before, correct? Is it only held on by those screws, or are there some of those one-time use plastic push pins that were all over my old Mustang's door panels?

I did have a clunking noise in the Edge when the window was rolling up at it's apex, as well. It was a loose regulator screw with me.

Edited by barrydancer

They did spreay some kind of lubricant on the old wetherstripping, and sprayed some kind of silicone inside them, but no luck with that either. I think I will take your suggestion and get some and try the window seals and tracks, as well. Thought about taking the door panel off to investigate myself. You've done it before, correct? Is it only held on by those screws, or are there some of those one-time use plastic push pins that were all over my old Mustang's door panels?

I did have a clunking noise in the Edge when the window was rolling up at it's apex, as well. It was a loose regulator screw with me.

Hi Barry. :D Oh well, I figured the Silicone Lubricant trick was worth a shot. :banghead:

There are some fasteners at the bottom and sides of the panes. Not as many as your old Mustang though. Pick up the specialized fastener removal tool at your local Auto Parts Store. Just costs few dollars and works better than prying at them with a screwdriver.

Just be careful. If you damage anything while removing the door panel, it obviously may not be covered under Warranty, if the Dealer realizes you did it. I realize you know this, but though I would play it safe and mention it anyway.

Edited by bbf2530

Try and lube the door latch.

• 3 weeks later...
The silicon didn't help me. Adjusting the door striker (i.e. lock latch) took care of it however!

Did you do the adjustment yourself? If so, what is involved? I've had the dealer look at it twice and they claim they can't replicate the sound. If its an easy fix I will just do it myself.

Silicone worked for about a month. Noise back.

Hi Barry. :D Point that out to the Service Department at your Dealership. It may help them narrow down the problem. Perhaps they need to replace (again?) the entire weatherstripping and window seal. But it should certainly be addressed and corrected.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going in for my 7,500 mile service soon and will mention the door latch idea. Anyone who's done it have any more specific info on what the procedure is or am I just telling them to take a look at the door latch?

I'm 99.99% certain the sound is coming from the window rubbing against its weatherstripping. I can reproduce the noise by pushing along the top of the window from the inside while it's totally rolled up. It's louder while driving, but likely because the body flex has more force than my finger. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Try this........spray some oil on the door latch assembly. (The part that's in the door.) One way to prove it out first, is to drive very slow with the door held open about 2 inches. See if it stops. If it does, spray the latch.