20" chrome clad trouble

feelin edgy

I noticed the other day that there was a large bubble in the chrome on one of the spokes on my wifes edge. I took it in to the dealer yesterday to start a warranty claim to have the wheel replaced. The dealers warranty guy told me that he had only ever had one claim for pealing chrome on a wheel (it was 5 or 6 years ago, so not on an edge). He told me Ford had denied that claim saying that the customer had not cared for the wheel properly. I told him he was going to have to do better than that. The car only has 4500 miles on it. He took some pictures and said he would send them in to Ford and see what they wanted to do.

I also pointed out how some of the other wheels on the car where starting to brass near the hub. He seemed entirely not interested in that. He told me it would be a week before he got back to me. My guess is that I will have to enlist the help of the sales guy I bought the car from to get any action out of the warranty service manager. What a pain.

I noticed the other day that there was a large bubble in the chrome on one of the spokes on my wifes edge. I took it in to the dealer yesterday to start a warranty claim to have the wheel replaced. The dealers warranty guy told me that he had only ever had one claim for pealing chrome on a wheel (it was 5 or 6 years ago, so not on an edge). He told me Ford had denied that claim saying that the customer had not cared for the wheel properly. I told him he was going to have to do better than that. The car only has 4500 miles on it. He took some pictures and said he would send them in to Ford and see what they wanted to do.

I also pointed out how some of the other wheels on the car where starting to brass near the hub. He seemed entirely not interested in that. He told me it would be a week before he got back to me. My guess is that I will have to enlist the help of the sales guy I bought the car from to get any action out of the warranty service manager. What a pain.

Hi feelin edgy. :D Assuming proper care. as long as you are within the Bumper to Bumper Warranty, the wheels are covered.

Now, if you used any type of acid based spray on wheel cleaner (or anything similar), you could have problems. Soap and water and a coat of wax once in a while is the proper maintenance for our wheels.

I do not want to call the guy a liar, but unless they only sell 5 or 6 cars a year :hysterical: , he has certainly seen more than one bad wheel finish in the last 5 or 6 years. If the Service Department at your Dealership gives you problems, take your car to another Dealership for Warranty service (and all other service from now on).

The Dealer does have to take pictures and send to Ford for Warranty approval though, so he was telling you the truth about that much anyway.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I just had all 4 of my wheels replaced due to pitting on the outside clear coated aluminum rim....I have the 18's. All but 1 wheel had this corrosion/pitting and the dealer took a picture of the rims and ordered 4 new ones right there on the spot. Like BBF stated, take your car to a different dealer for service. BTW, ford switched their supplier of the chrome clad wheels last year due to so many problems with them. I believe there was a TSB issued.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 2007 edge with 18" chrome clad wheels. the chrome is fine. the problem is the outer edge of the wheel along the tire looks terrible and won't come clean. it looks particular bad when the wheels are wet. has anyone had this problem with the wheels and could these be replaced on warranty

i have a 2007 edge with 18" chrome clad wheels. the chrome is fine. the problem is the outer edge of the wheel along the tire looks terrible and won't come clean. it looks particular bad when the wheels are wet. has anyone had this problem with the wheels and could these be replaced on warranty

Hi mcn. :D Of course, it is impossible to determine without being able to examine the wheels, but: Assuming that your Edge is still within the "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty period, the problem is not due to some sort of road or impact damage, and you did not use any type of acidic or caustic wheel cleaners (as specifically warned in the Owners Manual), then yes they "should" be covered under Warranty.

Bottom line, the only way to find out is to make a Service appointment and take your Edge in so the wheels can be examined.

Let us know how you make out and good luck. :beerchug:

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update on my wheel issue. I noticed the other day that it had been nearly a month since my dealer had told me they where going to order a replacement wheel. I called them on Friday only to find that no wheel had been ordered. They order the wheel on Friday and I got the call this morning that it was here. I ran over there on my lunch hour today to have the wheel swapped out. After sitting in the lobby for twenty minutes, the service manager came over and informed my that they did not have a replacement band for the pressure sensor. They would order one for delivery tomorrow, and I would have to come back. :banghead:

Well, they finally replaced the defective wheel on my wifes edge yesterday. It only took two months and four trips to the shop to get it done. I think I will wait until summer is over and then start pushing them to replace the other three for the brassing at the hub. This should not be this hard.

Now...correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't these "chrome" clad wheels just that? I have an '07 Edge with 18" chrome clad wheels and have most, if not all the clear coat/chrome flaked off around the edge. Rest of the wheel looks perfect. Why? Well, it's PLASTIC of course. What's up with that?

Now...correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't these "chrome" clad wheels just that? I have an '07 Edge with 18" chrome clad wheels and have most, if not all the clear coat/chrome flaked off around the edge. Rest of the wheel looks perfect. Why? Well, it's PLASTIC of course. What's up with that?

Real chrome will pit over time and it's really heavy. These are lighter and should last a lot longer. Unfortunately there was some type of defect in either the materials or the manufacturing process. As with any new product there are a few bugs that have to be worked out.