Aftermarket audio wiring harness recommendations

Hey guys,

Need some help. I am trying to replace the stock single disc unit with an aftermarket one. I have the 4 speaker "premium" audio system (no sub). According to a local shop there is no wiring harness for the edge. I checked Metra and Scosche, and it is not clear. I found a harness to keep the aux in (metra 70-5520aux), but no model numbers for a specific harness to integrate an aftermarket headunit.

What harnesses did you use? Make/model please. Thanks.

Hey guys,

Need some help. I am trying to replace the stock single disc unit with an aftermarket one. I have the 4 speaker "premium" audio system (no sub). According to a local shop there is no wiring harness for the edge. I checked Metra and Scosche, and it is not clear. I found a harness to keep the aux in (metra 70-5520aux), but no model numbers for a specific harness to integrate an aftermarket headunit.

What harnesses did you use? Make/model please. Thanks.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705520/Rec...re-Harness.html

This was the one I used...I got it free form Crutchfield when I ordered my head untit from them. You will also need an antenna adapter. If you log in to Crutchfield it will tell you everything you need even if you don't buy from them. Any 2003 up Ford/Lincoln wire harness will work.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705520/Rec...re-Harness.html

This was the one I used...I got it free form Crutchfield when I ordered my head untit from them. You will also need an antenna adapter. If you log in to Crutchfield it will tell you everything you need even if you don't buy from them. Any 2003 up Ford/Lincoln wire harness will work.

No functionality is lost when using this harness? Not that I have much in additional options. I mean any of the "info" options and aux in? Thanks for your help.

Edited by aldur99

with that harness you will loose any steering wheel controls if you have them. any aux input.

The only way to keep the aux working anyways is to get a radio that comes with an aux input. There are "retention" harness that will keep the aux, but costs alot more (over $100). I used that harness and just put a kenwood touch screen dvd in last week and i have all radio functions (keeps the radio on until i open the door). but i did loose all steering controls, and sync which i am fine with.

Thanks for you help. I did buy the harness recommended by crutchfield, but was wondering what wire you guys used for the ignition (red wire)? I was told by a local shop I would need to find another source since the oem harness does not have this wire.

Thanks for you help. I did buy the harness recommended by crutchfield, but was wondering what wire you guys used for the ignition (red wire)? I was told by a local shop I would need to find another source since the oem harness does not have this wire.

Hope this helps - these are for the big 24 pin connector. Connector #s are the ones I used in my config...

See http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3421

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: White/Red

#02 Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue (remote-out)

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Blue

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Yellow/Green

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Purple/Red

---

#08 Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White

#21 Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): White/Brown

---

#11 Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Purple

#12 Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): White/Orange

---

#09 Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green

#22 Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Yellow

---

#10 Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/White

#23 Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Blue

• 4 years later...
  • 6 years later...

IMO don't replace the touchscreen unit. Keep the stock unit but add a L.O.C. Line Output Converter which will allow you to add aftermarket speakers to your stock stereo. I use the LC7i but it's overkill. First one I used was from Amazon/eBay, it is made for the 2011 Ford Edge SEL w/ 4 door speakers (non-Sony, no amp) and it provides RCA outputs to install amp with no problems. It was $45-$50. Make sure to buy the one with the remote wire because it just makes things easier.