My Audi style LED lights

So, bought some flexible, sealed, waterproof LED lights, and installed them inside of my Edge headlights to give it that Audi look that we all love so much (well atleast i love...). The pictures really do not do them justice. I think they look really trick. When the headlights are on, they are still plenty visible, since the low beams sit on top, and the LED's are at the bottom. Anyways,.. hope you all like.

-Cannon

P.s. The install was a NIGHTMARE, and i would not recommend anyone try this. Had i know what a PITA this would have been, i wouldn't have started it. The glue that Ford uses to seal the headlights , must be the same glue that holds the Empire State Building together.

post-4293-1247024650_thumb.jpg

post-4293-1247024681_thumb.jpg

post-4293-1247024725_thumb.jpg

very cool! 1-of-a-kind there. I dig them, and yes, I love the Audi lights as well.

So, how did you get into the actual body of the lights?

what did you use to adhere the LED string to the lights?

how are you powering the LED lights, what did you tie into?

did you cut to fit the string, it happened to be the right size, or you have extra lights sticking into your engine bay?

Nicely done. They look great. Did you bake the lights to help open them up? That seemed to help alot with Mazda6 headlights.

Thanks for the pics. I agree with you, the LED's are hard to get a good picture of. You can't see the individual lights in the pictures, but knowing what they look like on Audi's, I'm sure they look great in person.

very cool! 1-of-a-kind there. I dig them, and yes, I love the Audi lights as well.

So, how did you get into the actual body of the lights?

what did you use to adhere the LED string to the lights?

how are you powering the LED lights, what did you tie into?

did you cut to fit the string, it happened to be the right size, or you have extra lights sticking into your engine bay?

You always crack me up Lex. Your a car nut like me, and always have a million questions, LOL.

I baked the headlights... normal headlights (chevy, mazda, etc..) when ya bake them, the glue that seals the headlight softens up, and you pry the headlight open. Ford uses some stupid ass glue that is impossible to break apart. I baked them over and over and at higher temps, and it was still a nightmare. The black plastic housing is all messed up where it meets the front headlight cover, but i was able to get them all sealed up again and back together. From the outside, they look good, but if you pull the headlight, it looks like a blind monkey did the install. I resealed them with clear RTV sealant. I used good old crazy glue to glue the LED to the front chrome housing. I then drilled a tiny hole in the chrome divider bar and ran the wiring thru that, and out one of the rubber boots that for the headlight bulbs. I then just spliced them into the parking lights (they do not blink when my turn signals are on either.). And thats it. Like i said,.. it was a major pain in my butt, and if i would have known how hard it would have been to get the Ford glue to soften, i wouldn't have done it. But it was sorta like vomiting,... once i started i couldn't stop. :)

-Cannon

post-4293-1247080479_thumb.jpg

But it was sorta like vomiting,... once i started i couldn't stop. :)

bwa ha ha

I call that having O.C.D. - I know how that goes

very cool project. I wish there was an easier way. Not that I couldn't do it, but it does sound like a bit much. I hope you bought a quality LED string of lights as I would hate to have to swap it out if one goes bad :cry: as Lord knows, I have already changed a few bad LED bulbs.

BTW, where did you get the string of LEDs?

bwa ha ha

I call that having O.C.D. - I know how that goes

very cool project. I wish there was an easier way. Not that I couldn't do it, but it does sound like a bit much. I hope you bought a quality LED string of lights as I would hate to have to swap it out if one goes bad :cry: as Lord knows, I have already changed a few bad LED bulbs.

BTW, where did you get the string of LEDs?

Ya i hope they don't go bad either. I don't think they will tho. I bought them thru www.BL-LED.com.au

Great company to deal with.

This is one nice mod!! The only thing that would make it better is if you can set up the "Audi" lights to be your DRLs and get some H.I.D.s for night. Now THAT would be something!

I honestly would love to try this mode but putting my headlight housing in the oven kinda scares me a little. Then when I here even you guys have trouble with it....that's enough for me to say "no thanks".

Awesome work though. If anyone figures a way to swap the DRLs, I may be inclined to attempt this.

This is one nice mod!! The only thing that would make it better is if you can set up the "Audi" lights to be your DRLs and get some H.I.D.s for night. Now THAT would be something!

I honestly would love to try this mode but putting my headlight housing in the oven kinda scares me a little. Then when I here even you guys have trouble with it....that's enough for me to say "no thanks".

Awesome work though. If anyone figures a way to swap the DRLs, I may be inclined to attempt this.

I just turn my parking lights on during the day to give it the Audi look. At sunset when it's not dark enough to need your headlights, thats when the LED's look really trick. Plus like i was saying, even at night with the low beams on you can still see them very well. I thought about getting the LED's in Amber, and having them be like a second parking lamp. But went with white instead. I'd like to do Halo eyes, but i'm not messing with baking them a second time. Although it would probably be easier now since they are resealed with a different glue that isn't as hard to work with.

Thanks! The pics don't do them justice tho.

I can Imagine the PITA aspect, especially if your cars sitting out in the draveway with no headlights... I'm thinking about attempting to do this but if so i think i will just get a used housing off Ebay, that way i can take my sweet old time.

Two thumbs up on of my fav mods I've seen so far!!!!

Extremly cool. Can you post a picture with the head lights on, if possible. I also have a small suggestion that might make your car look cooler. Remove the orange plastic parts inside the signal lights. In other words, signal lights would be much cooler if they are white or slighty orange.

Cool stuff man...

Extremly cool. Can you post a picture with the head lights on, if possible. I also have a small suggestion that might make your car look cooler. Remove the orange plastic parts inside the signal lights. In other words, signal lights would be much cooler if they are white or slighty orange.

Cool stuff man...

VERY nice! instead of LEDs i did Single Ring Halos in my 3G TL with CFFLs....wow what a PITA

but yea, the black sealant is horrible, like some ghetto silicone + silly putty on crack variant - it was like that with the TL headlights too.

out of curiosity how hard was it to pop out the lights? (I'm not an Edge owner yet, but leaning towards it and most definitely if i do get one i'll be doing the HID + LED strip) - like what was the requirements to pop out the headlights? front bumper removal?.. etc etc

VERY nice! instead of LEDs i did Single Ring Halos in my 3G TL with CFFLs....wow what a PITA

but yea, the black sealant is horrible, like some ghetto silicone + silly putty on crack variant - it was like that with the TL headlights too.

out of curiosity how hard was it to pop out the lights? (I'm not an Edge owner yet, but leaning towards it and most definitely if i do get one i'll be doing the HID + LED strip) - like what was the requirements to pop out the headlights? front bumper removal?.. etc etc

gotta pull the front bumper to pull the headlights. Not that hard of a project tho. Opening up the headlighs on the other hand,... ugh!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else successfully baked their headlights (for painting or mods)? I would like to paint the chrome black, but would like a little more information on the ridiculousness of Ford's adhesive.

Also, is this possible to do with the tail lights? I've read on some other forums that the tail lights are fairly brittle and will break.

Has anyone else successfully baked their headlights (for painting or mods)? I would like to paint the chrome black, but would like a little more information on the ridiculousness of Ford's adhesive.

Also, is this possible to do with the tail lights? I've read on some other forums that the tail lights are fairly brittle and will break.

If you were to paint the inside of the headlight black you'd have to make sure not to paint the parts of the chrome that are reflective and help your headlight shine.

-Cannon