Wondering if Edge can handle this

So I bought the Curt Class III hitch for my non-towing package edge. We're moving from Toronto to Vancouver and my plan was to sell all the furniture but tow a Uhaul trailer with all our small stuff (TV, computer, Clothing, Dishes etc). The trailer is 900lb's but I've been told by a few peope that without the towing package, my tranny and brakes will not be able to handle the hills/mountain's on the trans Canada, not to mention the 3000KM trip. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Ford of course says 2000lb's without the package, but I assume that's for a short and flat trip. If I were to have a net weight of apprx 1300-1500lbs, do you think I'd be ok on this trip or is it asking to much of my Edge? The last thing I want to do is cause $2000 in damage to the vechile to save a few bucks on transportation.

Thanks

The 2k rating is conservative (Ford doing a little C Y A) you should be OK.

Just be careful going DOWN the mountains!

It would be a good idea to change the oil AND transmission fluids when you get to Vancouver.

ab

so my bigger worry should be my brakes then the strain on the tranny and engine going uphill? I apologize if I’m asking elementary questions, but I really have no clue about this stuff. I’ll be sure to do as you recommended on the oil and tranny fluid once I arrive. I appreciate the green light on the 1500lbs. It sounds like the distance won’t really be the problem, just the last quarter up and down the mountains.

Watch those RIGHT turns from stop signs and red lights.

Pull a little farther out in the intersection before starting your turn, the trailer will turn a little shaper than the Edge.

Go with the book on the Over Drive.

Our 08 DOES NOT say "DO NOT USE OD" so I would keep it in OD as must as possible.

The first time you hit the brakes with your loaded trailer you'll think something is wrong, so ALWAYS ALWAYS leave yourself a good cushion between you and the vehicle in front of you.

Loading the trailer is VERY important.

Try to load all the heavy stuff over the trailer axle.

Our 08 says a max trailer tongue weight of 350/159 lb/kg SO when loaded you should be able to just barely lift the tongue of the trailer.

Any heaver and you'll be looking at the sky and replacing the rear tires when they blow out!!

Check the air and have it at the MAX pressure in ALL 8 tires.

This is the voice of experience speaking, nothing worse than a low or flat spare.

Good luck and have a nice trip

ab

Hi,

Turning off the OD for the transmission is to allow for the motor to add bracking when going down hills. So, I would deactivate OD when going down hills and turn it back on for slight grades or level land. As fars as chaning oil/transmission fluids I would follow the Owners Manual and replace them them sooner than you would otherwise-it lists oil changes at 5,000 miles for towing/heavy use versus 7,500 miles normal operations.

YMMV,

TW

What's your definition of MAX pressure?

It's on the sidewall of the tire, 44 PSI on our 20" Pirelli.

BUT I see your point I would max out 6 of the 8 and go with 40 in the front.

That's assuming the Edge/trailer will be close to GCWR, ours would be if we were moving that far!!

ab

post-3705-1248228884_thumb.jpg

I understood that the OD band on the old 4 speed trans was thinner than the other bands for the other gears. So towing in OD would cause more wear and heat. Especially when the trans was downshifting out of OD frequently Heat is one of the biggest killers of trans. So, noticing how often the six speed downshifts on inclines with only a few people as a load I really think, were it me, that I wouldnt use OD. Note that I know little about the six speed but how different can it be?

Generally 60% or so of the load of a trailer should be on the tongue. If the trailer sways side to side move the weight forward. If the trailer bounces move the weight back.

so the consensus is that the non-towing package, w/ the after market Curt hitch, and 1500lb net weight on the trailer, I should be ok going 3000KM, up and down the rocky mountains? I’m getting conflicting answers from another website, from a bunch of Canadians telling me the trans-Canada highway will kill my transmission. They’re suggesting putting everything in totes and shipping greyhound, and putting the car on a trailer and flying out there. All of that seems a lot more expensive then the trailer option.

so the consensus is that the non-towing package, w/ the after market Curt hitch, and 1500lb net weight on the trailer, I should be ok going 3000KM, up and down the rocky mountains? I’m getting conflicting answers from another website, from a bunch of Canadians telling me the trans-Canada highway will kill my transmission. They’re suggesting putting everything in totes and shipping greyhound, and putting the car on a trailer and flying out there. All of that seems a lot more expensive then the trailer option.

I just did a quick and dirty Microsoft Street and Trips from down town Toronto to down town Vancover.

It suggests leaving Toronto on Hwy 403 to Hwy 402 to US I69 to US I94 to US I90 in Chicago to US I39/90 to back on US I94 to back on US I90 in Billings Montana to US I5 in Seattle Washington to Hwy 15 in Canada to C1 to down town Vancover.

Total miles 2715 AND ALMOST NO mountains.

ab

• 4 weeks later...
So I bought the Curt Class III hitch for my non-towing package edge. We're moving from Toronto to Vancouver and my plan was to sell all the furniture but tow a Uhaul trailer with all our small stuff (TV, computer, Clothing, Dishes etc). The trailer is 900lb's but I've been told by a few peope that without the towing package, my tranny and brakes will not be able to handle the hills/mountain's on the trans Canada, not to mention the 3000KM trip. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Ford of course says 2000lb's without the package, but I assume that's for a short and flat trip. If I were to have a net weight of apprx 1300-1500lbs, do you think I'd be ok on this trip or is it asking to much of my Edge? The last thing I want to do is cause $2000 in damage to the vechile to save a few bucks on transportation.

Thanks

On my old Cadillac sedan, I installed a tranny cooler and a class II hitch and I towed a 2 ton trailer from Chicago all the way to California. I think you would be able to do the same if you install a tranny cooler as edge is heavier than Cadillac.

Edited by accent