Hesitating

cannrn

Hi all. I did search for this topic and didn't find anything. So...I have an 09 AWD (middle one not luxury or basic). Frequently when I give gas to speed up from coasting, the car seems to hesitate and then it engages and goes. I had it in within one month of buying it new and something was reprogrammed. It seemed to be better for a while, but now, 2 months later it is happening again. Any advice?

Thanks

That seems a bit unsafe if you want to make a fast move for safety. That has happened to me when easing on to a highway and then giving it gas to go. Is there a FORD rep on this forum to add info?

If you tromp on the gas, it will not like it and will hesitate.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the HESITATION PROBLEM!!! Extremely irritating. Mine does it between 40 and 55 under a part-throttle acceleration. On the expressway on up gradual hinclines is the worst. I have had it to the dealer twice without satisfaction. I would like to keep taking it back however i am open to suggestions from other posters here as to what my alternatives are.

i spoke to a dealer on this and there are patches, so they call it, to download into the puter that sharpen the gear shifting... takes about 2 hours to perform, all under warranty...make your appointment...i havent done it yet.......if ya do tell me if it works out any better...............

• 2 weeks later...

now here is one for thought..something i have done this past 2 weeks.....say no to overdrive!!! unless im on the highway doing over 60 i use it....with o/d off there is no hesistation on giving it gas anywhere... i do notice the downshift more when coasting to a stop but I eliminated all hesistation....it just takes out the 6th gear....and on top of that i now goto 26.8 mpg on the last 2 tanks of gas while using the air all the time...i think while in the city driving if it drops into 6th it takes a moment for the trans to find a gear when giving it gas...i took out the thinking part for it...It works for me so far...I use to hit the gas light at about 360 miles on a tank and now hitting 420 without the light even coming on...I , at first , thought the gauge was messed up but I was wrong and now im happier than ever.....Try it out and let me know....Worked for me !!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the hesitation problem also. I had a 2007 MKX which accelerated quickly with no hesitation. When my 2 year lease expired, I turned it in and got a 2009 MKX. There is a huge difference in the acceleration - I wish I could get my 2007 back!! The 2009 hesitates whenever you need to accelerate - very frustrating.. It is very noticable when passing someone on the expressway or when expressway traffic is heavy with frequent breaking and acceleration - it is difficult to keep up with traffic because the car just doesn't accelerate smoothly. I haven't changed my driving style (except to be more cautious when needed) and my 2007 accelerated smoothly and perfectly which is why I don't believe this is "working as designed". I hope this gets addressed soon! I see there is a fix available for the 2010 models but the person who reported the fix also indicated it didn't fix their problem. Would love to hear if anyone hears there is a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I have what sounds like the very same "Hesitation" problem. I have had the car in several times and have been told everything from they cant find anything wrong to it's normal for the Edge to run that way. The last time it was in the shop, all of the dash lights and speedometer went out. The diagnosis after having the vehicle 3 1/2 weeks was that there was a bad ABS unit and i was told that may have an affect on the performance of the engine. I have to admit that when i finally got the car back the hesitation at lower speeds seemed somewhat better however, from 40-60 the car will not accelerate unless you give it full throttle. It is the worst when there are hills. I have been telling Ford that it is a "part-throttle" hesitation problem. It flat out wont accelerate unless you give in 3/4- full throttle. When the car went in for the 3rd time I filed a claim under the lemon law but figured that i would wait until i got the car back with the new ABS just to see if it remidied the problem. It did not so unfortunately, I feel that i must follow through. I couldnt stand to drive this way for the next few years.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

now here is one for thought..something i have done this past 2 weeks.....say no to overdrive!!! unless im on the highway doing over 60 i use it....with o/d off there is no hesistation on giving it gas anywhere... i do notice the downshift more when coasting to a stop but I eliminated all hesistation....it just takes out the 6th gear....and on top of that i now goto 26.8 mpg on the last 2 tanks of gas while using the air all the time...i think while in the city driving if it drops into 6th it takes a moment for the trans to find a gear when giving it gas...i took out the thinking part for it...It works for me so far...I use to hit the gas light at about 360 miles on a tank and now hitting 420 without the light even coming on...I , at first , thought the gauge was messed up but I was wrong and now im happier than ever.....Try it out and let me know....Worked for me !!!!!!!!!

I also drive around town with the O/D off; and have been for quite a while. As you stated, no hesitation; actually much better throttle response. I've noticed that it holds the gear slightly longer which is nice when you have to let off the gas slightly and then get back on it again. (With O/D on, it would shift up and then hesitate to shift back down again and would just feel awkward.) I've always felt the Edge was fun to drive, but when I started turning the O/D off, it's even more fun!

I have an 09 MKX which hesitates. I had an 08 which did the same thing. The 09 was ok at the beginning and then after some months began to hesitate. I had already spoken to the dealership about this problem and their response was "make allowance for the hesitation and get used to it.".

Anyway what I did do was to use a higher octane gas. This appeared to solve the problem.

• 8 months later...

I have what sounds like the very same "Hesitation" problem. I have had the car in several times and have been told everything from they cant find anything wrong to it's normal for the Edge to run that way. The last time it was in the shop, all of the dash lights and speedometer went out. The diagnosis after having the vehicle 3 1/2 weeks was that there was a bad ABS unit and i was told that may have an affect on the performance of the engine. I have to admit that when i finally got the car back the hesitation at lower speeds seemed somewhat better however, from 40-60 the car will not accelerate unless you give it full throttle. It is the worst when there are hills. I have been telling Ford that it is a "part-throttle" hesitation problem. It flat out wont accelerate unless you give in 3/4- full throttle. When the car went in for the 3rd time I filed a claim under the lemon law but figured that i would wait until i got the car back with the new ABS just to see if it remidied the problem. It did not so unfortunately, I feel that i must follow through. I couldnt stand to drive this way for the next few years.

I have my 2010 Edge in the shop right now for the third time, for the same problem. When pulling out from a dead stop the car hesitates between shitfting gears, if you mash the accelarater it goes pretty good, but taking it easy pulling out not so much. when criusing around 70 and keeping steady pressure on the the throttel it also hesitates. i can wait to hear what the dealer says this time.

• 2 years later...

I bought a 2013 Edge SEL with th4 4 cylinder ECO BOOST engine brand new.. I have to say that I am completely dissatisfied with the performance of this car. It is almost undriveable....When you give it gas, the car stumbles and lags....Almost unsafe! I cannot accelerate gradually without it hesitating. Took it back to KEMP ford in Thousand Oaks Ca where i bought it....They tell me the car checks out and that there isnt anything wrong....This is by far the worst piece of crap i have ever owned.....Never but never will i buy another Ford.....The car only has 4,000 miles on it... I hear this problem is common with the turbo...HOW CAN FORD SELL A VEHICLE LIKE THIS????!!!

• 5 months later...

Don13, you're in the wrong section or a troll.

I don't understand the O/D off button in this car. All it seems to do is keep the transmission from upshifting to the next gear instead of keeping it in the sweet spot. Sometimes I'll be cruising at 3-4k rpm's. Does this make sense? My 2002 Durango shifts up and down exactly where it's supposed to. 7 years later and I'm going backwards.

I thought it was related to other problems I was having. I just had the transmission rebuilt under extended warranty because it would continue revving if I accelerated then let go of the gas before it shifted into the next gear. The other major complaint well banging into the lower gear in stop and go traffic instead of downshifting and moving on. The third problem was if I am cruising steadily in traffic and then need to downshift, the throttle seems like it's dead.The first dealer I brought it to said it was the transmission mount. The second one said the four problems were related.

Nevertheless, I still have the first three problems.

• 7 months later...

About the hesitation issue on the Ford Edge, I’d like to comment on something posted by Edgedog in 2010. He suggested that shifting the transmission into the Sport mode during speeds under 60 mph would stop the hesitation by keeping the transmission from shifting into overdrive which is the 6th gear. This also changes the speed and acceleration responses between the engine and the transmission. I tried it and it works. Have a look in your owner’s manual Transmission section, Sport subpart. In this mode the engine and transmission react differently to acceleration demands than when in the regular Drive mode and delivers acceleration and up shifting without the hesitation that is frustrating us and putting us in some danger. While I’m glad to find a way to avoid the hesitation, it lets the dealership off the hook because the car is not supposed to operate with hesitation between the gears. After a civil discussion with my service manager yesterday about this, he has suggested that we put a systems monitoring gizmo in my car with a service rep for a trip out to see if it will hesitate. I’m pretty sure it won’t “duplicate” until I drop the service guy and his gizmo off at the shop. Nevertheless, I will be persistent on this because I love my Edge and will post an outcome whatever it may be. In the mean time, shift into Sport 5 and enjoy the steady ride. And don’t forget to hug your Edge tonight.