clad chrome wheels

rrinder

Any recommendAtions as to what to use as a protectant / polish for the CLAD chrome wheels on a 2010 SEL (I presume they are a thinly coated in aluminum clad - how disappointing)?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob. :D Cleaning the wheels (and the rest of the car) is actually addressed in the Owners Manual. Essentially, you clean and protect them the same way you do your cars paint finish. Use regular car shampoo/liquid soap and water (the same that you use for your paint) to clean them. Then use a good automotive wax to give them a good shine and protection.

I use "Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Car Wash Shampoo" to clean them and "Meguiar's Cleaner Wax" to protect.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Any recommendAtions as to what to use as a protectant / polish for the CLAD chrome wheels on a 2010 SEL (I presume they are a thinly coated in aluminum clad - how disappointing)?

Thanks

Rob

Sorry but they arn't "thinly coated in aluminum clad " they are thinly coated PLASTIC :hysterical: .

I don't do anything to ours but wash and kick them, looking for an excuse to dump them for some REAL wheels.

ab

• 2 months later...

Thanks

Rob

Damn! I just realized that the "chrome" wheels on my new Edge are gonna be PLASTIC??? This kinda ticks me off!! Wonder if they'll switch 'em to the standard rim before I pick it up?

• 1 month later...
Damn! I just realized that the "chrome" wheels on my new Edge are gonna be PLASTIC??? This kinda ticks me off!! Wonder if they'll switch 'em to the standard rim before I pick it up?

Don't feel bad, I had mine for two weeks before I realized they were wheel covers. Looked again at the website and it does say "chrome clad" which I guess didn't register in my feeble brain.

Has anyone taken the chrome wheel covers off to see what the aluminum wheels look like? I haven't gathered the energy to do it yet and I'm curious exactly what they look like uncovered. Looking at the inside of a wheel from the opposite side of the car they appear to be cast aluminum. I'm wondering if they could be painted a gloss black and used without the wheel covers. Maybe with some black lugnuts and maybe a black center cap of some kind.

Don't feel bad, I had mine for two weeks before I realized they were wheel covers. Looked again at the website and it does say "chrome clad" which I guess didn't register in my feeble brain.

Has anyone taken the chrome wheel covers off to see what the aluminum wheels look like? I haven't gathered the energy to do it yet and I'm curious exactly what they look like uncovered. Looking at the inside of a wheel from the opposite side of the car they appear to be cast aluminum. I'm wondering if they could be painted a gloss black and used without the wheel covers. Maybe with some black lugnuts and maybe a black center cap of some kind.

I have an 08 edge LTD.. have had several chrome clad pieces replaced, INCLUDING the wheels! They started to discolor and pit in the deeper groves. I was also disappointed when I finally got my edge after ordering it new in 08 that the wheel are plastic. I have also had the fog lamp housings replaced as well as the ford emblem on the front grille. It had many little dots under the finish in the blue. Now, with nearly 50K on it, it's time for brakes:(

I have an 08 edge LTD.. have had several chrome clad pieces replaced, INCLUDING the wheels! They started to discolor and pit in the deeper groves. I was also disappointed when I finally got my edge after ordering it new in 08 that the wheel are plastic. I have also had the fog lamp housings replaced as well as the ford emblem on the front grille. It had many little dots under the finish in the blue. Now, with nearly 50K on it, it's time for brakes:(

Where they replaced under warranty? If not, how much did you pay?

Where they replaced under warranty? If not, how much did you pay?

I had my wheels replaced in the spring under warranty. My dealer replaced all 4 no questions asked.

There was a problem with the aluminum portion of the clad wheels corroding in areas of the country where road salt is used. I was told that Ford has since changed vendors / improved the coating process for the wheels. Time will tell...

Does anyone have any info. related to this part of my post or do I need to take them off and look for myself? :-)

Does anyone have any info. related to this part of my post or do I need to take them off and look for myself? :-)

They're glued on so you can't get them off.

I'm guessing they glue em on so they can't fly off

and

so they can call them chrome clad instead of what they are, $800 plastic hub caps. :hysterical:

ab

• 4 years later...