White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic Chip

Goldy

Has anyone tried using touch-up paint to fix a small chip on the White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic paint? My wifes Edge had a very nice paint job (no chips or scratches, and a very nice wax job), until now; there is a very small chip on the front fender. I know this is special paint (at least that what I'm assuming due to the $495 premium price), and am not sure if I can fix with touch-up paint.

Tips on how to repair would be most appreciated. Thx.

Has anyone tried using touch-up paint to fix a small chip on the White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic paint? My wifes Edge had a very nice paint job (no chips or scratches, and a very nice wax job), until now; there is a very small chip on the front fender. I know this is special paint (at least that what I'm assuming due to the $495 premium price), and am not sure if I can fix with touch-up paint.

Tips on how to repair would be most appreciated. Thx.

I bought a touch up kit from paintscratch.com and will attempt to repair some small scratches on the back bumper in the next couple of weeks.

I did using the actual Ford product they sell.. and it was a not an acceptable result. it is just 2 hard, I think, to mimic that special paint process in a 1 in all touch-up paint. It is obvious it has been touched up. I was hoping for better, but not as good as I had hoped.

FWIW, I even tried using toothpicks and needles/pins to get just a bit of paint to settle into the little scratches or nicks... again, looks obvious.

I did using the actual Ford product they sell.. and it was a not an acceptable result. it is just 2 hard, I think, to mimic that special paint process in a 1 in all touch-up paint. It is obvious it has been touched up. I was hoping for better, but not as good as I had hoped.

FWIW, I even tried using toothpicks and needles/pins to get just a bit of paint to settle into the little scratches or nicks... again, looks obvious.

I agree. The Ford touch up paint for this color is like watery milk with sparkles.

Checked w/ Ford today...probably another 3 days or so till it arrives. It's a very small chip...I just want to cover it up/keep it from rusting...not sure it will look much worse than what it does now... (so small, not really noticable unless you're looking right at it.) I'll let you know how it goes.

Checked w/ Ford today...probably another 3 days or so till it arrives. It's a very small chip...I just want to cover it up/keep it from rusting...not sure it will look much worse than what it does now... (so small, not really noticable unless you're looking right at it.) I'll let you know how it goes.

funny how this works.. I actually think some of my repairs look worse than the chip/nick. that is, it is impossible to get flush, so it sticks up and since the color match from a can is just not that great, this leads to something more noticeable than some of the tiny nicks I have tried to repair. good luck though.

funny how this works.. I actually think some of my repairs look worse than the chip/nick. that is, it is impossible to get flush, so it sticks up and since the color match from a can is just not that great, this leads to something more noticeable than some of the tiny nicks I have tried to repair. good luck though.

I've had decent luck with touching op chips by making sure the paint it warm so that it's runny. Leaving it in the car on a sunny day is about all it needs to get runny.

I have metallic red paint on my Mazda6 and had a sizeable stone chip that went down to a layer of primer that was a very light color. It was about the diameter of a pencil eraser and was very noticable. I only put 1 coat of the paint on, so the chipped area is still lower than the rest of the paint, but at least now it's body color. If it wasn't for the chipped area being white, I wouldn't have bothered with the touch up.

in San Diego... every day is sunny :)

also.. we are talking about 2 different sized chips. The ones I have dealt with are small, very small. More like a toothpick diameter or smaller. So, fluid spreading out - given surface tension & small surface area - is not as simple as in a chip the size of an eraser - 10x bigger area. So, given the smallest amount you can get out with the tip of a needle or toothpick, this amount is never "lower" than the rest of the paint and still sticks up above.

As for using brush... it is a matter of getting enough paint, but not to much paint. it is kind of a tricky deal IF you care to try to get it just right.

Well, except today. Oh and Lex, have you tried putting on three coats of the touch up paint (as the name suggests). I haven't got to trying yet, I was too disappointed after the first layer...

no way for 3 layers. as I said, the nicks I am dealing with are tiny - so not a chance 3 layers will go "in" or "on" it without it creating a lump or covering 3x the area than damaged. 1 layer creates a lump since it will not go do "into" the nick for the reasons I said above. if they were bigger, and I could apply layers to build up to a flat layer, I would try it. for what I have tried, not a chance.

no way for 3 layers. as I said, the nicks I am dealing with are tiny - so not a chance 3 layers will go "in" or "on" it without it creating a lump or covering 3x the area than damaged. 1 layer creates a lump since it will not go do "into" the nick for the reasons I said above. if they were bigger, and I could apply layers to build up to a flat layer, I would try it. for what I have tried, not a chance.

I haven't tried this, but I have an idea which might help. Repairs to gelcoat, the finish on boats, are done this way, so it might be worth a try. Apply enough layers of touch-up so that the surface is raised above the surrounding paint, after it is completely dry. With a new, single-edge razor blade, carefully shave the repair down to flush. Then use a polish (not a wax), to bring up the shine, then a coat of wax. I'm thinking that this should result in an almost unnoticeable repair to rock chips.

• 4 years later...

recently bought a CPO 2011 MKZ with the white platinum tri coat metallic paint two weeks ago. Looks great but some idiot tapped my rear bumper last night and created some minor marks and a paint chip the size of the top of a thumb tack. The good news is that the scuffs were just residue and I wiped that off with cleaner, but the chip went to the plastic and is noticeable since the car is a brilliant white.

I will posts later but I didn't want to get an all in one touch up paint in fear it will not match since the factory has three coats. Instead I bought touch up jars from Touchupdirect Paints. They give you the paint, mid coat, and clear coat. Bought it on ebay for $39.00.

Again I will post pics of before and after.

I know there is a good chance it will not match 100% but it's better than having a distinct black dot on a pristine white bumper

recently bought a CPO 2011 MKZ with the white platinum tri coat metallic paint two weeks ago. Looks great but some idiot tapped my rear bumper last night and created some minor marks and a paint chip the size of the top of a thumb tack. The good news is that the scuffs were just residue and I wiped that off with cleaner, but the chip went to the plastic and is noticeable since the car is a brilliant white.

I will posts later but I didn't want to get an all in one touch up paint in fear it will not match since the factory has three coats. Instead I bought touch up jars from Touchupdirect Paints. They give you the paint, mid coat, and clear coat. Bought it on ebay for $39.00.

Again I will post pics of before and after.

I know there is a good chance it will not match 100% but it's better than having a distinct black dot on a pristine white bumper

I have the same color on my Edge, and put a nick in the rear bumper when I was loading up some stuff from a storage unit. I just received the Dr Color Chip kit which I will use later this week. I will post pictures of before and after, and give my opinion of the color match. Funny thing is that Dr Color Chip mixes the paint together in one bottle (even for my UG tri-coat) and then there is a "SealAct" that they call it to blend over the paint after it dries.

We shall see.

• Like 1

Any updates from anyone who was claiming they would try and then post pictures? Just curious if anyone found a solution that DID work "properly". Like many of you, my nicks are small and not that noticeable...even though I would like them "fixed"...but if doing it myself ends up making it worse and calls more attention to them, I would obviously regret doing it and not just leaving them as is. Thanks!

I just resprayed the lower left corner of the hatch and it's almost a flawless repair.

However, trying to touch up a few individual scratches in the middle of the bumper didn't turn out so well. We're probably trading it in this weekend so I probably won't try any more.

In 1996, we developed the FIRST consumer product for repairing paint chips, scratches or even ROAD RASH for cars, boats and planes! It's so simple to do, even a child can do this repair! The Blob Eliminator, our original product will even remove tar, tree sap and other paint surface contaminants.

The BLOB ELIMINATOR works with ALL touch up paints AND is the ONLY consumer product that works with your MANUFACTURERS TOUCH UP PAINT, the preferred touch up paint for many reasons.