Any thoughts?

igcitng

Two weeks ago tomorrow I had my first service at 7500 miles. They changed the oil and rotated the tires. Ever since, it has been pulling to the left, enough to be really aggravating. I thought it would correct itself after a few days, didn't.

I have not called them, hoping to get some insight before dealing with those people and I really do not have time to take it back.

Thanks everyone. :sos:

I will look for the weights tonite when I leave work. I will check the receipt to see if 'balancing ' is on there. Are you saying that the individual tire(s) could be out of balance, they should check them each time? What would change?

Is an alignment actually a warranty item? Outside of the weights, what would cause a new car to go out of alignment with a tire rotation?

what would cause a new car to go out of alignment with a tire rotation?

Normally nothing. I don't think wheel weights would cause an alignment issue or cause it to pull but it won't hurt to check anyway.

Alignments are usually covered for the first 12 mos/12K miles. Could also be an improperly reinstalled wheel or even a bad tire. Also check the tire pressure.

Tell me this. Is 7500 miles too long between rotations? I ask because unfortunately I do not get it serviced at the really nice dealership that I bought it at. The guy gave me a lot of attitude because I made a mistake about servicing it. It came with free oil changes for two years, and I do remember them saying something about 5k between, I goofed because the computer said 7500 miles for the first change, so I went with that. I guess I broke a big rule. So just wondering if they can tell me it is MY fault that the tires went unrotated or something like that. I have til Wed afternoon to figure this out then it is parked for awhile. Thinking about taking it to a dealer here by work and asking them to look at it instead of trying to figure this out myself. I ordered touchup paint from them and they just gave it to me, so seem like decent people. What do you think? Sorry to ramble, this is creating extra stress. :banghead:

Tell me this. Is 7500 miles too long between rotations? I ask because unfortunately I do not get it serviced at the really nice dealership that I bought it at. The guy gave me a lot of attitude because I made a mistake about servicing it. It came with free oil changes for two years, and I do remember them saying something about 5k between, I goofed because the computer said 7500 miles for the first change, so I went with that. I guess I broke a big rule. So just wondering if they can tell me it is MY fault that the tires went unrotated or something like that. I have til Wed afternoon to figure this out then it is parked for awhile. Thinking about taking it to a dealer here by work and asking them to look at it instead of trying to figure this out myself. I ordered touchup paint from them and they just gave it to me, so seem like decent people. What do you think? Sorry to ramble, this is creating extra stress. :banghead:

Some mfrs don't even recommend rotations anymore. 7500 should not be a problem. If it's a tire problem it's not due to lack of rotation - it would have to be a defect or damage.

Interesting. Why is that?

I would also be curious how that would have changed as a process. I can see that the old 3k oil change time frame given newer electronically controlled engines has been thrown out, but not sure how tire rotation needs have changed unless the rubber and such is so advanced now? I would still think a rotation is needed in time. But if not, curious as to why or how this is possible?

as for the weights.. I do not know if it could or could not be enough to pull you to one side. In the rotation process, it is certainly possible the weights got knocked off - so I was thinking maybe weights only on one side could pull. So, it was just a thought. A rotation does not normally mean a rebalance as well. I was just curious what/if they did that.. just cause...

and I agree with akirby - a simple rotation should do nothing for alignment in general. so that is why I thought the weights could have played a role. but hey, who knows what they did during the process... they do want return business you know ;)

Interesting. Why is that?

Obviously having directional treads or different size front and rear tires limits the rotation opportunity to one end or one side of the vehicle.

Outside of that, the thought is that you get different wear patterns and when you rotate tires it takes awhile for the tires to "wear in" to the new position and handling could be slightly compromised during that time. BMW feels the slight increase in tire wear is a good tradeoff to maintaining maximum performance. Volvo doesn't recommend rotation either.

You still need to rotate if you want even wear but it's certainly not required.

Outside of that, the thought is that you get different wear patterns and when you rotate tires it takes awhile for the tires to "wear in" to the new position and handling could be slightly compromised during that time.

That is exactly what I hoped was going on, but I have driven it 400 miles since and it is just as bad, so I am convinced it is not going away.

I would think that you would definitely want to rotate so the front or back is not bald (depending on which moves the car). My sister has a Torrent, AWD which I believe is FWD unless the AWD kicks in, had completely bald front tires. I asked her what the heck happened, don't you rotate your tires? She said no. And she must drive like a nut, because she had to get new front tires at 34k or so.

EDIT - In case any of my information now seems repetitive, both akirby and Lex posted their last replies while I was still typing this, so I had not seen those replies before I posted.

Hi igcitng. :D No, 7,500 miles is not too long between rotations. In fact, it is the recommended interval for a "Normal Service" vehicle. Here is the "Normal" oil change/tire rotation Maintenance Schedule for your vehicle, copied and pasted directly from the appropriate Maintenance Guide (Ford's, not the Dealers):

7,500 miles

❑ Change engine oil and replace oil filter

❑ Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear and measure

tread depth

❑ Inspect the wheels and related components for

abnormal noise, wear, looseness, or drag

❑ Perform multi-point inspection (recommended)

As you can see, as long as you fall under the Normal Use Schedule (which most drivers do) you can change the oil and rotate the tires at 7,500 miles. For severe duty (vehicles used for towing, heavy idling etc), the oil change interval drops to 5,000 miles, in which case you might as well rotate the tires while it is in for the oil change. Of course, if you wish to do recommended services sooner than the Maintenance Guide, there is no harm in doing that. But the Dealer's Service Rep should certainly not be giving you an attitude, since at the least, you are following Ford's recommendations.

To your steering pull issue: As akirby and some others have mentioned, it could be any of multiple problems.

Just thinking out loud: Improperly inflated tires could result in a steering pull. So could a defective or unevenly worn tire (usually on the front of the vehicle).

Generally speaking, if the alignment was okay before the tire rotation, it should still be okay after. A tire rotation would not normally change the alignment. But no harm in having it checked, if the Dealer will cover it under Warranty (as akirby mentioned, only 12 months/12,000 miles).

Also generally speaking, same thing with the tire balance. If it was okay before, it should be now, unless they knocked off a balance weight (usually unlikely). Also, an out of balance tire will usually result in a front or rear vibration, not a pull in the steering.

My best advice? Take it ina nd let them know about your concerns and when/how it started. Let the shop diagnose and repair the problem.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS -When you purchased your Edge (if you purchased new), along with the Owners Manual you were given other brochures and guides, including the Maintenance Guide, Warranty guide, Tire Warranty Guide, etc etc. If you were not given them, lost them or can not find them, you can download PDF versions here: LINK: Owner Guides

The PDF versions on the computer really do come in handy sometimes. With the Maintenance Guide, just be sure you are looking at the correct schedule for your vehicle, as the Guide contains recommended schedules for all Ford vehicles. So you need to be sure you are using the "NORMAL SCHEDULE CARS & CUVS" schedule, not the schedule for trucks, vans and SUV's. You must also decide whether to use the "Normal Schedule" or "Severe Service Schedule". So look carefully at the table of contents to be sure you are looking at the correct schedule.

Edited by bbf2530

I just called the dealer near me here at work. He said to bring it by and they would switch the front tires to see if maybe the problem is radial pull from a defective tire. If it is I have to go to a tire dealer and mess with them regarding warranty. If it is not they will see what it is. So I am going to try to go Monday morning on the way in and get it looked at.

I just called the dealer near me here at work. He said to bring it by and they would switch the front tires to see if maybe the problem is radial pull from a defective tire. If it is I have to go to a tire dealer and mess with them regarding warranty. If it is not they will see what it is. So I am going to try to go Monday morning on the way in and get it looked at.

Hi igcitng. :D While the Ford Dealer may try to tell tell you that you need to go to a Tire Dealer (many Dealers say that, either out of lack of knowledge or just trying to put the work off on someone else), that is not usually the case. During the new car Warranty period, Ford also covers problems with the tires. So if you have a defective tire needing to be replaced under Warranty, Ford takes care of it.

This information is in the Vehicle Warranty and Tire Warranty Guides which I mentioned in my previous reply.

If you have the time, I think it would be very helpful for your situation if you were to give those guides a quick look-over.

Edited by bbf2530

I do remember being given those, I have them filed at home. I will double check about the tire warranty, dealer said they do not cover tires, even during warranty period. And I do have a manual. However, the experience on the forum to me is better reading sometimes, especially with something goofy like this.

As for the 5k oil changes, it is some special deal that came with the Edge. Good for two years, and have to get oil changed between 5-6 k, no more no less. I got attitude because I came in at 7500, 'not supposed to allow this' I was told, like I was a criminal. I told the guy to charge me if it was such a big deal. And on top of it I got it mixed up with some Ford Advantage card I was sent. Found out that is different, it is like point toward new cars and stuff for cars. They did not charge me. Guess the guy thought he was the man letting a girl get away with it. Made me wait two hours though. I was the only one there. Two questionable experiences there, won't be going back.

I do remember being given those, I have them filed at home. I will double check about the tire warranty, dealer said they do not cover tires, even during warranty period. And I do have a manual. However, the experience on the forum to me is better reading sometimes, especially with something goofy like this.

As for the 5k oil changes, it is some special deal that came with the Edge. Good for two years, and have to get oil changed between 5-6 k, no more no less. I got attitude because I came in at 7500, 'not supposed to allow this' I was told, like I was a criminal. I told the guy to charge me if it was such a big deal. And on top of it I got it mixed up with some Ford Advantage card I was sent. Found out that is different, it is like point toward new cars and stuff for cars. They did not charge me. Guess the guy thought he was the man letting a girl get away with it. Made me wait two hours though. I was the only one there. Two questionable experiences there, won't be going back.

Hi igcitng. :D Did not realize you were of the "female persuasion", :shades: so yes that does add a wrinkle or two to the situation. Unfortunately, some people do try to take advantage of a woman, assuming she knows less about cars in general.

Concerning the Service Rep telling you "they do not cover tires": Ford is responsible to cover all aspects of your new vehicle under the stipulations of your New Car Warranty. And that includes defective tires.

This is explained in the New Vehicle Warranty Guide.

And just so you understand, I only mention reading the Warranty Guide to help you understand your rights, not to discourage you from asking questions here. Knowing what the Warranty Guide states (and having it to show the Service Rep at the Dealer), will help you stand up for your rights concerning Warranty coverage.

Also, I just wanted to correct a misconception you had in one of your earlier replies concerning where the worn tires should be placed on a vehicle. FYI -You can check this information on sites like The Tire Rack, Discount Tire, or any of the major tire manufacturers websites: Whether a vehicle is FWD, RWD or AWD, if you are only replacing two tires, the worn tires should always be placed on the front of the vehicle, the new tires on the back. It does not matter which are the drive wheels.

This is to avoid a condition called "over-steer", which can happen when your rear tires are more worn and have less traction than the front tires. Simply explained, "over-steer" is when your rear tires lose traction before the front tires in a turn or during braking, causing a spin. Rear tires that are measurably more worn than the front tires can cause this dangerous "over-steer" condition[/b] in slippery, wet, snowy or icy driving situations.[/b][/u]

When rotating tires, regular rotation will avoid any of the four tires from being too severely worn over the others, letting you freely rotate from front to rear without worrying about this. And obviously, bald tires should always be immediately replaced (actually, before they get to that that bad) for safety reasons.

Again, just to save needless debate with those who may feel otherwise, this information is what all tire manufacturers and tire professionals advise, is not new, and can be verified on any of the websites I have previously mentioned above.

Sorry if any of this is confusing. If it is, let me know and I will try to explain more clearly.

Edited by bbf2530

bbf, you are too funny. :) so politically correct. Even though I actually am a little smarter than the average gal about cars, does not change how the guys fixing them treat you, even a stupid oil change. Like two years ago, needed the hub and bearing replaced on my Blazer. Took it to a place and they said I needed this and this and this, that will be $1300.00. Called my dad to see what he thought, and he was ticked so he came to where I was and suddenly the job cost less than $400.00. I used to take the Blazer to Jiffy lube for oil changes and they would walk over with 'my' dirty air filter, one that looked nothing like mine that I had already recently changed myself and tell me I needed a new one. They once tried to tell me I had a headlight out when I did not. And guys wonder why we walk around with so much angst.

Last year after my Blazer was wrecked and fixed there was a horrible thudding noise from the front right side. Took it back to the bodyshop, could not find it. Had it looked at by mechanics, top to bottom could not find it. Put new shocks on, nope. Had to get oil changed, tires rotated last winter so I ask them what they thought. They call me and say that I needed $1200.00 in work done on the ball joints both sides, and it was urgent that I do it. It had already been determined that was not the noise, so I ignored him. So, in December the fuel pump goes and my dad sends it to a place where they fix his fleet trucks. Fixed it, took it for a test drive and they were shocked at the thudding noise. Someone figured it out immdediately-it was the hood. The bodyshop did not bolt it all the way down on one side. But the one place was sure that it was the ball joints!!!

So, needing some ammo for this drifting Edge issue, I knew I could count on you guys. Hope you don't mind a dumb girl hanging out with you. ;) You guys are awesome, and thanks.

The only problem with the rest of us finding out you are a female is now we all have to hold our stomachs in while we read your posts. ;)

Thanks again for the work you did finding the Scion bumper protector. The one I put on the wifes edge looks and works great.

I am so cracking up right now! Don't worry about your stomach, I picture all of you to be super handsome guys with six pack abs and full luxurious hair. :) You go ahead and think of me as Giselle.

Glad you like the protector. I am still excited about mine. The little things you know. And thanks for the laugh, needed that today.

you are too funny. :) so politically correct.

Hi igcitng. :D If you knew my wife, you would completely understand why I will go out of my way to be polite to all women, even a complete stranger on the Internet! :drool:

I "ain't" taking no chances on "pissing off" any girls!!! :shades: I would like to live a long and healthy life. :finger:

Hi igcitng. :D If you knew my wife, you would completely understand why I will go out of my way to be polite to all women, even a complete stranger on the Internet! :drool:

She keeps you in check, huh? That is serious power. :)

Ok, so I went to Ford today and they took my Edge and checked the alignment, it is fine. So they switched the front tires and gave it back. The drive out of there seemed better, unfortunately it is SO windy today I could not gauge anything when I got on the road, so hoping the wind will die down.

Guy also said the way I brought it in is within Ford specs.

I have to get it serviced between 10 and 11k, still within the 12k warranty, so if any more problems I will just nag them about it more. And the guy I dealt with today said he can warranty them to 12k, not go to the tire dealer with it. My warranty book says my BF's are under warranty for 6 years or so many miles, forget how many, so guessing that after the 12k Ford warranty that is when I would have to deal with the tire dealer.

I just came across this thread now, but this all makes perfect sense. Tires have a natural tendency to pull in one direction, and manufacturing variation makes some pull more than others. If you had two tires that both pulled to the "inside" originally, but one on each side of the car, they would cancel each other out. If the dealer rotated in modified X pattern by switching just two of the tires to the opposite side and moving the other two forwards or backwards, then you can end up with both of the pulling tires on the same side, and now you will feel it. That's why you should always rotate just front to back. So if this is truely the case, then swapping the front tires from one side to the other will set the tires up so they are cancelling each other out again.

Hopefully you can visualize that, and hopefully this has fixed your problem.

Two weeks ago tomorrow I had my first service at 7500 miles. They changed the oil and rotated the tires. Ever since, it has been pulling to the left, enough to be really aggravating. I thought it would correct itself after a few days, didn't.

I have not called them, hoping to get some insight before dealing with those people and I really do not have time to take it back.

Thanks everyone. :sos:

I had a bad tire do this on one of my cars. Tire was replaced under warranty and problem went away.