When should the Oil be changed the first time

chi town charlie

When should the Oil be changed the first time? Should I wait till 7500 miles? Also can I use 5W30 Castol Edge oil instead of 5W20?

You might have some warranty issues with the 30 weight.

We ( most of us 40+ :reading: anyway) are having a hard time realizing that these newer engines DO like 20 weight oil.

ab

When should the Oil be changed the first time? Should I wait till 7500 miles? Also can I use 5W30 Castol Edge oil instead of 5W20?

Hi Charlie. :D No particular reason to change the oil before the Ford recommended OCI (Oil Change Interval). That would be 6 months/7,500 miles for "Normal Service", or 6 months/5,000 miles for "Severe Service" use. The "Severe Service" schedule would include vehicles used for towing, heavy idling (i.e. taxis), consistently dusty driving conditions, etc etc.

Remember that the 6 month time period is very important. Even if you only have 3,000 miles in 6 months (or insert any other mileage figure), the oil must be changed after 6 months.

Some people do their first oil change sooner, to "get rid of any metal shavings" and other reasons. It will certainly not hurt anything to do so, but it is not necessary.

Concerning types of oil. Ford requires 5W20 oil for full Warranty protection. Yes, read the Owners Manual, no matter what anyone else may say, FOrd clearly states that using any other viscosity can have Warranty implications. And no matter what anyone else may say, the "Magnuson-Moss Act" gives no protection if you fail to follow legal Warranty stipulations.

Therefore, you should use 5W-20. In this way, if you should ever have engine problems (no matter how unlikely), you will not need to worry about Warranty denial issues.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

There is some good advice.

I might also add, since I presume you live in Chicago, you are a candidate for 0w20 oils that meet the Ford specification. It will help reduce wear at start-up on those cold mid-west mornings.

No to any 5w30 ---too viscous at start-up and too viscous at 100 degrees C. (cannot meet the Ford Spec.)

Hi Charlie. :D No particular reason to change the oil before the Ford recommended OCI (Oil Change Interval). That would be 6 months/7,500 miles for "Normal Service", or 6 months/5,000 miles for "Severe Service" use. The "Severe Service" schedule would include vehicles used for towing, heavy idling (i.e. taxis), consistently dusty driving conditions, etc etc.

Remember that the 6 month time period is very important. Even if you only have 3,000 miles in 6 months (or insert any other mileage figure), the oil must be changed after 6 months.

Some people do their first oil change sooner, to "get rid of any metal shavings" and other reasons. It will certainly not hurt anything to do so, but it is not necessary.

Concerning types of oil. Ford requires 5W20 oil for full Warranty protection. Yes, read the Owners Manual, no matter what anyone else may say, FOrd clearly states that using any other viscosity can have Warranty implications. And no matter what anyone else may say, the "Magnuson-Moss Act" gives no protection if you fail to follow legal Warranty stipulations.

Therefore, you should use 5W-20. In this way, if you should ever have engine problems (no matter how unlikely), you will not need to worry about Warranty denial issues.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the information, I'll change it before 6 months with 5W20 Mobil 1 and then 6 months/5000 miles which ever come first.

The engines are ran at the factory with "Break-In Oil" to set the internal components and prevent scarring/galling of the internals. I do a first change at 500 miles. Always have, may not be needed but it is habit. I then do a change every 3000. As long as you use the Ford recommended oil, I see no need to pay extra for a full synthetic. Some say they improve H.P., heat loss and friction coefficients. May be essential in a high compression race engine but all my "Normal" daily drivers have been fine with the OEM oil, as long as the changes are done as scheduled.

Interesting note from the Royal Purple site---

"Can I put Royal Purple into my brand new car?

Yes. Royal Purple currently offers many viscosity grades of API-licensed motor oils. To allow for proper break-in of the engine, Royal Purple recommends waiting until the manufacturer’s first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before using Royal Purple in diesel engines"

I see they also have a break-in oil that they sell for new and remanufactured engines - helps protect roller tappets, and reduce cylinder wall glazing.

Some full synthetic oil suppliers say no break-in is required - don't trust them.

Interesting note from the Royal Purple site---

"Can I put Royal Purple into my brand new car?

Yes. Royal Purple currently offers many viscosity grades of API-licensed motor oils. To allow for proper break-in of the engine, Royal Purple recommends waiting until the manufacturer’s first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before using Royal Purple in diesel engines"

I see they also have a break-in oil that they sell for new and remanufactured engines - helps protect roller tappets, and reduce cylinder wall glazing.

Some full synthetic oil suppliers say no break-in is required - don't trust them.

Yeah, don't trust Corvettes or Cadillacs that come from the factory with full synthetic oil! GM doesn't know what it's doing! :rockon:

Yeah, don't trust Corvettes or Cadillacs that come from the factory with full synthetic oil! GM doesn't know what it's doing! :rockon:

Sorry can't resist. :hysterical:

+1 on "GM doesn't know what it's doing! "

But I do agree at least for Corvetts, etc. they probably get broken in before install.

ab

Sorry can't resist. :hysterical:

+1 on "GM doesn't know what it's doing! "

But I do agree at least for Corvetts, etc. they probably get broken in before install.

ab

In today's engine manufacturing, the tolerances are so close and consistant that break-in as us old timers knew it is long gone. Just drive the car normally without sustained high speed for the first 500 miles and it will be broken in. If it makes you feel better to baby it and do an early oil change, the have at it.

When I used to build an engine back in the late 50's, I would do several hard accelerations to 60, and then let the engine cool a while and do several more. That's all that was necessary to seat the rings. The same holds true for today's engines. Makes no differenceif you use Dino or Synthetic oil.

• Like 1