Saw a Lincoln MKT tonight at local gas station

saleen89559

I saw a brand new Lincoln MKT tonight at a local gas station in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

I have to say, the front end styling is very nice, but the back end looks like someone rearended a 97 Lincoln Mark VIII. It has the same body lines and taillight arrangement as a Mark VIII. The back end is quite a bit longer than what they current Edge/MKX has as well. Probably due to the fact that it actually has a functional 3rd row seat.

I saw a brand new Lincoln MKT tonight at a local gas station in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

I have to say, the front end styling is very nice, but the back end looks like someone rearended a 97 Lincoln Mark VIII. It has the same body lines and taillight arrangement as a Mark VIII. The back end is quite a bit longer than what they current Edge/MKX has as well. Probably due to the fact that it actually has a functional 3rd row seat.

The Ford dealer near my house has one parked in front in the "showcase" spot. Can't say I'm a fan of the styling to be honest.

• 1 month later...

The SRX is not that pricy. If you get an Edge fully loaded it will be basically close if not the same price as the 2010 SRX. A base Edge is cheap but the limited and sports can become very pricy. Plus the SRX is more polished and offers a bit more options.

I had originally placed an order for a 2010 AWD SRX with comparable options to my Edge. In the end I would have paid nearly 10k more for an SRX. Even though their retail prices might look similar there are more incentives and flexibility in the Edge's price.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I had originally placed an order for a 2010 AWD SRX with comparable options to my Edge. In the end I would have paid nearly 10k more for an SRX. Even though their retail prices might look similar there are more incentives and flexibility in the Edge's price.

Well considering they have the standard 100k warranty (we bought the extended warranty for the Edge) this is the difference I would have received & paid paid for our Edge vs an 2010 SRX

SRX

Navigation System5 Standard [our dealer didn't have available on their lot]

Rearview Camera Standard [not an option for the Edge unless you install it yourself]

Cargo Management Syste Standard

Front and Rear Ultrasonic Parking Assist Standard [Our edge only has rear]

Heated Front Seats Standard

Interior Ambient Lighting Standard

Wood trim Standard [not an option for the Edge]

Aluminum Wheels 20" [NOT CLAD] [not an option for the Edge unless you install it yourself]

HID Headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting Standard [not an option for the Edge unless you install it yourself]

Keyless Access Standard

Ventilated Front Seats Standard

VEHICLE KEY FEATURES

3.0L V6 PREMIUM (FWD)

Horsepower & RPM 265 @ 6950 265 @ 6950 265 @ 6950 265 @ 6950

StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System Standard

Power Liftgate with Memory Height Standard

XM Satellite Radio with 3 trial months6 Standard

UltraView Sunroof Standard

Bluetooth® Connectivity7 Standard

Adaptive Remote Start Standard

OnStar® with the Directions & Connections Plan for the first year (includes Turn-by-Turn Navigation)8 Standard

Plus they have multi-zone climate control, true memory seats and its more polished.

All for $44,720 thats only 4k more than what we paid for our Edge. Now don't get me wrong... I like the Edge, but we had to make a rush decision and at the time Ford was the only dealer open on Sunday and they had the 60 mo no interest. Now I believe the SRX is offering it, but at the time it wasn't an option. If I were to buy a vehicle now I would definitely take the SRX over the Edge hands down

Well considering they have the standard 100k warranty (we bought the extended warranty for the Edge) this is the difference I would have received & paid paid for our Edge vs an 2010 SRX

SRX

Navigation System5 Standard [our dealer didn't have available on their lot]

Rearview Camera Standard [not an option for the Edge unless you install it yourself]

Cargo Management Syste Standard

Front and Rear Ultrasonic Parking Assist Standard [Our edge only has rear]

Heated Front Seats Standard

Interior Ambient Lighting Standard

Wood trim Standard [not an option for the Edge]

Aluminum Wheels 20" [NOT CLAD] [not an option for the Edge unless you install it yourself]

HID Headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting Standard [not an option for the Edge unless you install it yourself]

Keyless Access Standard

Ventilated Front Seats Standard

VEHICLE KEY FEATURES

3.0L V6 PREMIUM (FWD)

Horsepower & RPM 265 @ 6950 265 @ 6950 265 @ 6950 265 @ 6950

StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System Standard

Power Liftgate with Memory Height Standard

XM Satellite Radio with 3 trial months6 Standard

UltraView Sunroof Standard

Bluetooth® Connectivity7 Standard

Adaptive Remote Start Standard

OnStar® with the Directions & Connections Plan for the first year (includes Turn-by-Turn Navigation)8 Standard

Plus they have multi-zone climate control, true memory seats and its more polished.

All for $44,720 thats only 4k more than what we paid for our Edge. Now don't get me wrong... I like the Edge, but we had to make a rush decision and at the time Ford was the only dealer open on Sunday and they had the 60 mo no interest. Now I believe the SRX is offering it, but at the time it wasn't an option. If I were to buy a vehicle now I would definitely take the SRX over the Edge hands down

Well I would take the Edge's Nav over the pop-up SRX unit any day.

I could foresee mechanical issues with that in the near future.

Rear-view camera will not make a break a deal for me.

As long as I can turn my head this option is more so a luxury and not a necessity.

100k mile warranty I will look into if I decide to keep the Edge for a long period of time. Right now it's not necessary.

I would also rather have the Edge's brushed aluminum dash piece over any type of wood dash.

Multi-zone control is not necessary in a vehicle with an interior the size of the Edge so the dual climate is sufficient.

The SRX is going to be "more polished" because it's a Cadillac.

Cadillac is known for luxury and obviously Ford isn't.

Does this "polished" look justify the 10k price difference?

I ordered my Edge with every option except the headrest dvd's and the price difference was still 10k from the $44720 that you listed.

Edge Limited AWD

Sterling Grey

Vista Roof

20" wheels

Cargo Package

Power Liftgate

Rear Cargo Management

Nav

Tow PKG

Cargo Access PKG

All weather mats

Back-Lit Door sills

Remote Start

Sounds like you were charged a bit more ( added cost of extended warranty??)

and maybe you could justify the added premium for luxury.

I'm not saying the Edge is the end all but I certainly wouldn't trade it for an SRX.

Cadillac has had the Pop-Up Nav for a while and no problems so far.

Vista roof on the Edge is nice but its already creaking and making all sorts of noise. 20" clad wheels are just plain cheap and degrading, Power Lift gate has been buggy but not too bad. AWD seems to have issues unless the latest fix solves the issues for the Edge. We did pay a bit for other thing such as extended warranty and the Gap insurance. Multi zone climate will be an issue specially for a child and it makes a huge difference. Rear camera is nice but not an necessity.

I can see your point, yet if you are truly looking at the Value and which vehicle will hold value better, the SRX wins easily. The only reason we got the Edge is b/c our 325i has well over 200k and is starting to act up. So the Mrs. needed a new vehicle specially since we are expecting very soon. We only had one day to make a decision and finalize a purchase. Normally we would never make such rash decisions. However, time is not a luxury either of us have. Did we make a bad decision...NO... Did we make the best decision...NO. The Edge is a good vehicle, yet, it is unrefined and rough around the "edges" Clad wheels, incomplete memory seats, incomplete climate zone, leather seats which are stain magnets etc... even if we had to pay 10k more I would do so in order to get quality features which are not incomplete.

I mean no disrespect. I can and will say this over and over if I have to.... The Edge is nice and I would pick it over many vehicles, just not the SRX. I am not trying to bash the Edge nor sway anyone from buying one. I am purely looking at the Value of things, which will differ from person to person.

Cadillac has had the Pop-Up Nav for a while and no problems so far.

Vista roof on the Edge is nice but its already creaking and making all sorts of noise. 20" clad wheels are just plain cheap and degrading, Power Lift gate has been buggy but not too bad. AWD seems to have issues unless the latest fix solves the issues for the Edge. We did pay a bit for other thing such as extended warranty and the Gap insurance. Multi zone climate will be an issue specially for a child and it makes a huge difference. Rear camera is nice but not an necessity.

I can see your point, yet if you are truly looking at the Value and which vehicle will hold value better, the SRX wins easily. The only reason we got the Edge is b/c our 325i has well over 200k and is starting to act up. So the Mrs. needed a new vehicle specially since we are expecting very soon. We only had one day to make a decision and finalize a purchase. Normally we would never make such rash decisions. However, time is not a luxury either of us have. Did we make a bad decision...NO... Did we make the best decision...NO. The Edge is a good vehicle, yet, it is unrefined and rough around the "edges" Clad wheels, incomplete memory seats, incomplete climate zone, leather seats which are stain magnets etc... even if we had to pay 10k more I would do so in order to get quality features which are not incomplete.

I mean no disrespect. I can and will say this over and over if I have to.... The Edge is nice and I would pick it over many vehicles, just not the SRX. I am not trying to bash the Edge nor sway anyone from buying one. I am purely looking at the Value of things, which will differ from person to person.

I couldn't not agree more.

I have heard others have had problems with the Vista roof but I've had none so far.

I prefer the 20" chrome clad wheels over the real chrome. The chrome clad if manufactured correctly

will outshine and outlast the real chrome wheel. Especially here in the Chicago area where salt and chemicals

are used to combat snow. Ask me how I know.

Power lift gate? It goes up when I press the button and down when I press the button. No issues there.

AWD issues? For who? Sure I've read many posts of PTU problems but I have had any? Nope.

I feel that when people read those threads they get paranoid and think they smell something in their own car.

My car is still fairly new but so far the only issue I have had is doors that are not aligned perfectly.

Soon as I have some time they will be adjusted.

Personally I don't want my children messing around with climate and radio controls in the seat. That's just me though.

For a hundred years kids have been riding in the back seat of cars with no climate controls so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Holding value... Well that's debatable also.

Both company's have cars that fall in the top 10 worst overall resale car values.

The Cadillac DTS currently tops that list.

Personally I think neither of them will win any resale value awards.

GAP insurance and extended warranty will certainly put you over the edge so to speak.

But 6k more than a nearly fully optioned out Limited is pretty steep.

Sounds like you were in a rushed situation where as I had several months to weigh the pros and cons.

If I was to pay 10k more it would be to get into an Audi again.

Preferably a CPO's Q7. Now THAT is quality that neither Ford nor Caddy can touch.

Everyone has an opinion.

Agree the Q7 is nice no question about that. However, we would like to put more support into the Domestic manufacturers. I have always been a fan of BMW/Audi and owned both. So now we are giving the Edge a chance and for the most part its great. It just lacks some refinement here and there, but over all its not bad at all. Im am more picky and of course my wife could care less about most of the things which bother me.

I have worked on many vehicles so I would be able to determine burning oil from the PTU vs something else. However, you have to remember, you have a 2010 so assuming Ford fixed the issue you will hopefully never have to worry about any leaks. As far as cladding, I would prefer polished aluminum over both clad or real chrome. Climate control does help. I have been in vehicles which had it and those which do not. The ones which do are much more comfortable.

We will probably put 100k on the Edge in 2 maybe 3 years [Wife is a physician and she covers several hospitals which are not close at all] and then after 100k we will probably get a new vehicle. Right now the Edge serves its purpose offering top notch safety ratings and other convenient features which help. Before I had time to fix and rebuild everything [which I miss] but as a Dentist starting out and trying to get my own practice up and running I am left with less and less time. So until then we will enjoy the Edge and then hopefully the kinks will get ironed out and the Edge will be a top contender.

Mofsteel, you have great views and I think we share pretty much the same opinion. :reading:

I hate to be the cheapo on the board here - but I'm surprised no one mentioned the $ difference between regular fuel and premium as the SRX calls for the good stuff.

I was impressed with the SRX but nothing beats MS Sync.

Sync is a nice feature but it is more of a "cool toy" vs true convenience. It messes up several of our contacts names and we end up repeating or just reaching for the phone or browsing through the phone contact list which we synced via BT. Most vehicles w/ BT will allow you to upload your phones contact list and you will be able to brows for whomever you are trying to call via the vehicle.

As far as the Fuel you are absolutely correct. The good stuff will take a huge bite into our wallets [thats not being the cheapo...thats being a smart consumer] :banghead:

Edited by k_m

Give me a wood option! Metal is just too cold. That said, one does have the option of after market appliques (never been too impressed with them though - typically they are too glossy).

My mechanic is not impressed with Audi/VW quality. As the owner of 03 Jetta Wagon since new I'm not either. Not so much for the core stuff like engine, interior materials quality but for things like fuel pumps, alternaters, computers - the things that are pricey, shouldn't fail at low miles and drive an owner up the wall.

Have not looked at that particular Cadillac but my boss had the CTS - my Edge, according to my co-workers and myself, seemed to be the better made car with a higher quality interior. I think he agreed as he traded it in for F-150 dual cab with the King Ranch interior (now THAT would be a hot option for the Edge!). It is so odd to see a damn pickup seem nicer than a Cadillac but in this case it is.

Give me a wood option! Metal is just too cold. That said, one does have the option of after market appliques (never been too impressed with them though - typically they are too glossy).

My mechanic is not impressed with Audi/VW quality. As the owner of 03 Jetta Wagon since new I'm not either. Not so much for the core stuff like engine, interior materials quality but for things like fuel pumps, alternaters, computers - the things that are pricey, shouldn't fail at low miles and drive an owner up the wall.

Have not looked at that particular Cadillac but my boss had the CTS - my Edge, according to my co-workers and myself, seemed to be the better made car with a higher quality interior. I think he agreed as he traded it in for F-150 dual cab with the King Ranch interior (now THAT would be a hot option for the Edge!). It is so odd to see a damn pickup seem nicer than a Cadillac but in this case it is.

A wood dash in a car is like having wood paneling on the walls of your house. :doh:

No offense but an 03 Jetta Wagon is pretty much the intro car to the VW/Audi line.

Obviously Audi will have higher quality as they are VW's luxury make.

I know Audi has had issues in the past particularly with their B5 A4/S4 models.

They have come a long way since then so I don't believe you should be basing your opinion on a 7 yr old entry level model. The Audi interiors will put ANY Ford to shame.

Here are two pics from my B7 s4.

DSCF3148.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

The SRX is definitely more refined than the Edge. Higher quality leather and overall finish.

The 2010 Edge does come with a "Limited Interior appearance package" which is similar to the King Ranch Interior.

Here is the description.

Unique sienna leather-trimmed seats with contrast stitching, unique contrast stitching on steering wheel and shift knob, unique dark brushed-aluminum center stack panel, premium floor mats with "Edge" logo.

Personally I think it's hideous but everyone has their own tastes.

8801EF28-A0A9-EFCA-5F9F-67805F9F6780.jpg

Ford also gives you the choice of having a custom leather interior manufactured by Katzkin.

You basically can have your choice of style, color, accent, trim, leather content, and custom embroideries for a price.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I hate to be the cheapo on the board here - but I'm surprised no one mentioned the $ difference between regular fuel and premium as the SRX calls for the good stuff.

JUST FYI the SRX 3.0 [non-turbo] takes regular fuel according to tier manufacturer recommended fuel. Also the interior of the SRX IMO top notch over all manufacturers

2010-cadillac-srx_1600x0w.jpg

JUST FYI the SRX 3.0 [non-turbo] takes regular fuel according to tier manufacturer recommended fuel. Also the interior of the SRX IMO top notch over all manufacturers

I stand corrected :)

,... But you gotta go Turbo,.. or go home! :)

The interior does look nice

The average cost difference between regular and premium (in Atlanta at least) is now and has always been around $0.20/gallon. Doesn't matter whether gas is $2 or $4 per gallon the difference is still $0.20. If you drive 300 miles per week at 20 mpg, the cost difference is $3 per week. You waste more than that on one Starbucks drink.

The average cost difference between regular and premium (in Atlanta at least) is now and has always been around $0.20/gallon. Doesn't matter whether gas is $2 or $4 per gallon the difference is still $0.20. If you drive 300 miles per week at 20 mpg, the cost difference is $3 per week. You waste more than that on one Starbucks drink.

Here in Ontario it can eaisily be a $0.30/litre price difference

.3 x 60 litre tank (avg tank size)

is $18 more per fill up which is something I do once every week. So personally speaking it is purchasing factor - one that keeps me away from many so called "premium" manufacturers.

Here in Ontario it can eaisily be a $0.30/litre price difference

.3 x 60 litre tank (avg tank size)

is $18 more per fill up which is something I do once every week. So personally speaking it is purchasing factor - one that keeps me away from many so called "premium" manufacturers.

That sounds like a ripoff compared to our cost difference. Unless ours is being subsidized somehow.

A wood dash in a car is like having wood paneling on the walls of your house. :doh:

No offense but an 03 Jetta Wagon is pretty much the intro car to the VW/Audi line.

Obviously Audi will have higher quality as they are VW's luxury make.

I know Audi has had issues in the past particularly with their B5 A4/S4 models.

They have come a long way since then so I don't believe you should be basing your opinion on a 7 yr old entry level model. The Audi interiors will put ANY Ford to shame.

Here are two pics from my B7 s4.

DSCF3148.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

The SRX is definitely more refined than the Edge. Higher quality leather and overall finish.

The 2010 Edge does come with a "Limited Interior appearance package" which is similar to the King Ranch Interior.

Here is the description.

Unique sienna leather-trimmed seats with contrast stitching, unique contrast stitching on steering wheel and shift knob, unique dark brushed-aluminum center stack panel, premium floor mats with "Edge" logo.

Personally I think it's hideous but everyone has their own tastes.

8801EF28-A0A9-EFCA-5F9F-67805F9F6780.jpg

Ford also gives you the choice of having a custom leather interior manufactured by Katzkin.

You basically can have your choice of style, color, accent, trim, leather content, and custom embroideries for a price.

Maybe it's just the photo but those seat look olive drab in colour to me. Not so good. I'm too cheap to go with a custom interior and if I did I'm not sure Ford would be the base car to use.

Audi makes some very nice interiors; a better job than the VW models - but the parts you don't see like window winders, fuel pumps, alternators etc. will have shared parts and this is were VW has had a problem. I certainly prefer the interiors of a VW or Audi to all the Fords I've seen; but it's not the interior that we've had problems with on our car. I wish it were so mundane. That Caddy looks pretty darn good too (I like what Buick has done also).

The 2011 Edge has some promise and thanks for the heads up on the ugly leather option. I'll have to look into that; it may be better in person. In any event, I was unaware of it.

Quick addition: Youy see those side ribs on the center console? Passat has those too - drove me crazy on the test drive. I like to lean my legs over to side I guess and I coudn't with that console design. The Ford Edge has a gap there (doen't look as good but it works much better) so my very long legs have room. I recall it on some of the Audi's I looked at too.

The large rectangle between the speedo and tack on the VW (and it appears you have the same dash in the Audi) was a bright red when the lights were on (I always have the lights on - old motorcycle habit I transferred to the car) and I found that very distracting.

Those Audi seats look very comfy though. Nice!