Motorcraft Oil Filter for 2010

Hilton

I have been reading that the 2010 Edge uses an FL500 Motorcraft oil filter. Has anyone been able to locate these in stores or online other than a dealer? If so what kind of prices have you paid for one?

Welcome and greetings

Try this, it's for an 09 but it will get you there.

EDIT: repaired link...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOT0/FL500S.oap?year=2009&make=Ford&model=Edge&vi=1443379&keyword=oilfilter&partType=02269&parentPartType=C0023

Next time you're at your auto supply ask for an 09 Edge oil filter.

ab

Edited by ablb

I have been reading that the 2010 Edge uses an FL500 Motorcraft oil filter. Has anyone been able to locate these in stores or online other than a dealer? If so what kind of prices have you paid for one?

Thanks for the reply. It looks like they only handle Wix. I was looking for the Motorcraft. And yes the 2009 from 01/16/09 uses the same oil filter.

Motorcraft FL-500S $12.20 at Ford.

Motorcraft FL-500S $9.49 at O'Reilly

Nothing on the internet for Pep Boys or AutoZone

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,48,partnum,FL500S,d,MOTORCRAFT_FL500S.html $6.42 +$5.11 shipping

$15.50 including shipping at Amazon

Looks like O'Reilly is the place IF you have one.

ab

I got lucky, one of the local Ford dealers took pity on me and sold me a couple for $8 ea.

Last 2 I bought cost $6.25 at Parts Authority,don't know where you are located,Try Walmart 5W20 Penzoil Platinum was $20.for a 5 Qt container,they may have the Fl500S, Marty

I'm out of the New Orleans area. I have seen several people say they got them at their Wal-Mart. I have checked around here and they don't stock them yet. I will probably go with the Pureolator L22500 till I can get Motorcraft. As for Oil I will use the Motorcraft Syn Blend 5-20 from Walmart, $11.50/5 Qts.

• 3 weeks later...

Motorcraft FL-500S $12.20 at Ford.

Motorcraft FL-500S $9.49 at O'Reilly

Nothing on the internet for Pep Boys or AutoZone

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,48,partnum,FL500S,d,MOTORCRAFT_FL500S.html $6.42 +$5.11 shipping

$15.50 including shipping at Amazon

Looks like O'Reilly is the place IF you have one.

ab

So looking at ROCKAUTO.com, shipping doesn't go up very much if you buy multiples...... so buying 5 filters works out to $8.00/ea with shipping right to my door, or if I ordered 10 filers it worked out to be about $7.20/ea with shipping right to my door.

Shipping charges obviously changed by zip code..... I'm in the northwest.

Also, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but it may be better if you are still under warranty to buy the oil/filter around the time you actually do the oil change. If you ever run into mechanical issues and you have a receipt from 6 months ago, it may not play out in you favor.

Also, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but it may be better if you are still under warranty to buy the oil/filter around the time you actually do the oil change. If you ever run into mechanical issues and you have a receipt from 6 months ago, it may not play out in you favor.

It won't hurt, but from what I've heard if there is a mechanical problem that appears to be caused by improper lubrication it won't matter whether you have receipts or not. If you have service records showing the dealer did the service then that might count for something. Receipts only prove purchase, not installation. And it's relatively easy to identify improper lubrication inside the engine. Outside of some known manufacturing defect or defective oil pump, improper lubrication is a customer problem.

"It won't hurt, but from what I've heard if there is a mechanical problem that appears to be caused by improper lubrication it won't matter whether you have receipts or not."

I have read this comment several times. :wacko: Sometimes things happen even though we follow proper lubrication [i.e. whatever oil meets Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A and installation of proper filter]

Why would someone buy the oil and filter an not install it?

I am not attacking you comment, it just sounds odd. Its good to know, but hopefully no one will ever need an engine to be replaced within the warranty. If they do and they followed proper guidelines, then hopefully Ford will do the right thing.

Edited by k_m

"It won't hurt, but from what I've heard if there is a mechanical problem that appears to be caused by improper lubrication it won't matter whether you have receipts or not."

I have read this comment several times. :wacko: Sometimes things happen even though we follow proper lubrication [i.e. whatever oil meets Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A and installation of proper filter]

Why would someone buy the oil and filter an not install it?

I am not attacking you comment, it just sounds odd. Its good to know, but hopefully no one will ever need an engine to be replaced within the warranty. If they do and they followed proper guidelines, then hopefully Ford will do the right thing.

There are a lot of scenarios:

1 - I bought the oil and filter but used it in a different vehicle

2 - I got the receipt from a friend (it wasn't actually mine)

3 - I bought it but returned it

Now if the dealer had service records showing that regular service had been done by the dealer on that vehicle then that's a different story. That would indicate that the dealer did something wrong, not the customer.

If something broke in the engine (like the oil pump) and that caused the problem then that will be easily diagnosed and there won't be any questions. If the internals are all sludged up then that is also pretty cut and dried.

If you use the proper oil and filter and change intervals the chances are slim that you'll have a lubrication related failure and if you do there will be an obvious cause such as a bad oil pump, leak, etc.

It is not uncommon for a corner luber to wipe the filter off and not replace it, start the engine before they refilled the crankcase. use the incorrect lubrication products, double gasket the filter, etc. Search the various expose' investigations done by consumer groups, etc. Problems can happen at a Ford dealership also, but they will likely step up and make it right.

Years ago, a sludged engine, gaulded bearing, tappet tick, seized engine, etc. would be accompanied with a wide array of maintenance receipts. Some were fabrications and others clearly pointed out that the wrong products were used. Today, those receipts mean very little if you have a lubrication related problem (beyond - go back to your maintainer to see what their warranty covers.)

What would you expect Ford to cover if an engine failed due to lack of lubrication? What is the right thing if you run out of oil, your engine is sludged, etc? If you use products that meet the Ford specifications and follow the maintenance schedule for your type of driving you should not have a problem. Many well intentioned owners have been denied warranty coverage because someone didn't do what they should have.

I'll keep using the $19.95 coupons at my local Ford dealership.

Edited by Grey

There are a lot of scenarios:

1 - I bought the oil and filter but used it in a different vehicle

2 - I got the receipt from a friend (it wasn't actually mine)

3 - I bought it but returned it

Now if the dealer had service records showing that regular service had been done by the dealer on that vehicle then that's a different story. That would indicate that the dealer did something wrong, not the customer.

If something broke in the engine (like the oil pump) and that caused the problem then that will be easily diagnosed and there won't be any questions. If the internals are all sludged up then that is also pretty cut and dried.

If you use the proper oil and filter and change intervals the chances are slim that you'll have a lubrication related failure and if you do there will be an obvious cause such as a bad oil pump, leak, etc.

Points well taken.

It is not uncommon for a corner luber to wipe the filter off and not replace it, start the engine before they refilled the crankcase. use the incorrect lubrication products, double gasket the filter, etc. Search the various expose' investigations done by consumer groups, etc. Problems can happen at a Ford dealership also, but they will likely step up and make it right.

Never stated I would go to a corner lube. I will do the work myself.

What would you expect Ford to cover if an engine failed due to lack of lubrication? What is the right thing if you run out of oil, your engine is sludged, etc? If you use products that meet the Ford specifications and follow the maintenance schedule for your type of driving you should not have a problem. Many well intentioned owners have been denied warranty coverage because someone didn't do what they should have.

I'll keep using the $19.95 coupons at my local Ford dealership.

If I let the oil run low, use non specified products, use incorrect weight/kind of oil, do not maintain the scheduled change intervals, etc... then the problem lies on me.

If I follow everything to the T , then the problem fall on Ford.

I would have no problems going to the Local dealership if they were trustworthy. Since ours are not, I am forced to do it myself.