2010 Edge key with remote is it diffrent?

jones391

I have seen many listings for a new key with remote in e-bay but it is for the 2007 - 2009 Edge.

Is there a diffrence between the early models and the 2010?

the dealer wanted $150 for an extra. I know i can program them since I have two.

I am worried about loosing one. Anyone know the diffrence and a place to ket a extra one cheep?

Does anyone have this key? Is it easy to program? Is it durable? Any comments on it?

I've had one for the past few weeks and its great.

To get the key cut I just ran to a dealer and had the guy in the parts shop cut it and they didn't charge me. To program the transponder you'll need both factory keys and its really pretty simple... you just turn the car to on with each of the keys and wait for the security light to turn off. Then you stick the new key in there and turn it on within a few seconds and it is programmed. To program the remote, you use one of the keys and turn the ignition from off to on 8 times or so. The doors will lock and unlock to let you know it is ready to be programmed and then you just hit a button on the remote (lock, unlock, whatever) and your remote is programmed. When your car exits programming mode it does another lock & unlock of the doors I think. All in all, it took me about 5 minutes to program the new key and remote.

The key itself feels really solid. My brother has a 2010 Equinox and the keys are very similar in terms of quality.

I like having this key not poke me from my pocket all the time... I'd recommend it to anyone.

Does anyone have this key? Is it easy to program? Is it durable? Any comments on it?

I just received the keys for our 2010 Edge. Everything works great! Dealer wanted to charge $10/key to just cut the keys, but the friendly people at our local Ace Hardware shop cut it at no cost. :shades: I even tried to give them a Thank You payment, but they refused to accept anything. :hyper:

1. As far as programing it is very easy to program both the keyless remote and the transponder in the keys. The keys cam with very easy to follow instruction which took less than 2 minutes to program 2 new flip keys.

2. As far as I can tell the flip keys are very durable.

3. Comments.... The range is just as good as OEM if not better. Worth the investment

Hope this helps :stats:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one for the past few weeks and its great.

To get the key cut I just ran to a dealer and had the guy in the parts shop cut it and they didn't charge me. To program the transponder you'll need both factory keys and its really pretty simple... you just turn the car to on with each of the keys and wait for the security light to turn off. Then you stick the new key in there and turn it on within a few seconds and it is programmed. To program the remote, you use one of the keys and turn the ignition from off to on 8 times or so. The doors will lock and unlock to let you know it is ready to be programmed and then you just hit a button on the remote (lock, unlock, whatever) and your remote is programmed. When your car exits programming mode it does another lock & unlock of the doors I think. All in all, it took me about 5 minutes to program the new key and remote.

The key itself feels really solid. My brother has a 2010 Equinox and the keys are very similar in terms of quality.

I like having this key not poke me from my pocket all the time... I'd recommend it to anyone.

Where did you get your information on programming the flip key like a separate key fob?

I checked through all of the owner’s manuals for the edge 2007 thru 2010 and there is no mention of programming a separate key fob like the older fords. They do say you can program a transponder key as described in the owner’s manual and that’s all.

It is interesting that just programming by transponder key method will also program your remote functions on the key without activating any of the remote buttons. It seems like it just magically happens. I tried to program a separate remote fob by turning the key one and off as described in my escape owner’s manual and it does not work.

How did anyone really program there flip key purchased on e-bay???

Please help/

Its not hard at all. If you purchased the flip key from eBay the seller will include/give you very simple instructions on how to program the transponder as well as the keyless entry. Note for the transponder you will need 2 preprogramed keys to get this to work.

I would post the instructions but post something w/o the sellers consent. Depiry [artiway] is the one selling them. I purchased 2 flip keys and they work perfectly on or 2010 Limited :shades:

Where did you get your information on programming the flip key like a separate key fob?

I checked through all of the owner’s manuals for the edge 2007 thru 2010 and there is no mention of programming a separate key fob like the older fords. They do say you can program a transponder key as described in the owner’s manual and that’s all.

It is interesting that just programming by transponder key method will also program your remote functions on the key without activating any of the remote buttons. It seems like it just magically happens. I tried to program a separate remote fob by turning the key one and off as described in my escape owner’s manual and it does not work.

How did anyone really program there flip key purchased on e-bay???

Please help/

Hi jones. :D The "flip-key" is simply another type of IKT and it. programs exactly the same way as the factory IKT's. In fact, it simply is an IKT with a hinged key.

The instructions for programming IKT's are in the Edge Owners Manual. In the 2008 version I have of the Owners Manual, the instructions begin on page 144 Your page # may differ slightly, but the directions are in the "locks and Security" section.. You must follow the IKT programming instructions precisely as you would a factory Ford IKT.

Keep in mind you have to have two already programmed/working keys to program a third or more. If you lost one key and only have one working key, you will need to go to the Dealer to have your new key programmed. That is an anti-theft feature.

The programming instructions from the online flip-key sellers such as artiway are just a copy of the Edge Owners Manual instructions.

If the flip-key you have will not program following the Owners Manual instructions, then the flip-key (likely the transponder) is defective or you are not following the instructions quite correctly..

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi jones. :D The "flip-key" is simply another type of IKT and it. programs exactly the same way as the factory IKT's. In fact, it simply is an IKT with a hinged key.

The instructions for programming IKT's are in the Edge Owners Manual. In the 2008 version I have of the Owners Manual, the instructions begin on page 144 Your page # may differ slightly, but the directions are in the "locks and Security" section.. You must follow the IKT programming instructions precisely as you would a factory Ford IKT.

Keep in mind you have to have two already programmed/working keys to program a third or more. If you lost one key and only have one working key, you will need to go to the Dealer to have your new key programmed. That is an anti-theft feature.

The programming instructions from the online flip-key sellers such as artiway are just a copy of the Edge Owners Manual instructions.

If the flip-key you have will not program following the Owners Manual instructions, then the flip-key (likely the transponder) is defective or you are not following the instructions quite correctly..

Let us know how you make out.

The difference with the IKTs is that it now appears you program the key itself just like any other PATS key and the remote functions are programmed at the same time.

With the old separate keyfob, there was a separate programming function for the PATS key and another for the keyfob remote. That function appears to be obsolete with the new IKTs.

EDITED - After reading it again, I don't think my answer was really necessary. :hysterical:

Good luck Allen! :beerchug:

I was agreeing with you and just adding more information. At first I thought maybe you could program the remote part of the IKT like the old keyfobs but that was incorrect.

I was agreeing with you and just adding more information. At first I thought maybe you could program the remote part of the IKT like the old keyfobs but that was incorrect.

HI Allen. :D Yes, first I thought you misunderstood what I was saying, but then I understood your reply when I had the time to read everything a second time. :hysterical: But it was already too late and I had posted a "clearer" explanation that I then realized was not needed. :banghead:

But since we can't completely delete replies here (that I know of), I was left having to just edit it out and leave a brief explanation that my answer was not really needed. :hysterical2:

Wow, I'm out of breath now! :drop:

HI Allen. :D Yes, first I thought you misunderstood what I was saying, but then I understood your reply when I had the time to read everything a second time. :hysterical: But it was already too late and I had posted a "clearer" explanation that I then realized was not needed. :banghead:

But since we can't completely delete replies here (that I know of), I was left having to just edit it out and leave a brief explanation that my answer was not really needed. :hysterical2:

Wow, I'm out of breath now! :drop:

Edited by poke71

The difference with the IKTs is that it now appears you program the key itself just like any other PATS key and the remote functions are programmed at the same time.

With the old separate keyfob, there was a separate programming function for the PATS key and another for the keyfob remote. That function appears to be obsolete with the new IKTs.

My new flip key works great, I just finished installing it. Use the directions that are sent with the key. You'll be done in 30 seconds!!

• 4 months later...