Anyone smell antifreeze in their NEW Edge 2010?

strenn6

Temp guage seems fine....it's the SEL AWD, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I just google Ford Edge antifreeze smell and it took me to this forum. All the other people that have had this smell seem to have 08's or 09's though. I'll keep everyone posted, I'm taking it back to the dealer today to have it looked at. Thanks for the responses!

We have an 2010 Limited FWD and recently passed the 1000 mark [think we are at 1200 now]. So far no antifreeze smells. If the dealer claims its fine [it probably is but sometimes we have to double check] and If you are mechanically inclined pop the hood and check the hoses make sure they are tight and inspect the cap as Depiry mentioned.

Good luck!!!

Took it to the dealer today. They claim it's nothing (of course)...............on the other forum its says that Ford has offered an extended warranty on the PTU, still not sure what that is though? Can anyone tell me what exactly the problem is and should I continue to drive it or will it cause damage to something? On the other forum it says something about a flushing process that can be used to take care of this problem. Thanks for any feedback!!

Steve

Took it to the dealer today. They claim it's nothing (of course)...............on the other forum its says that Ford has offered an extended warranty on the PTU, still not sure what that is though? Can anyone tell me what exactly the problem is and should I continue to drive it or will it cause damage to something? On the other forum it says something about a flushing process that can be used to take care of this problem. Thanks for any feedback!!

Steve

Hi Steve :D . Unfortunately, you are confusing/combining two different issues. The extended Warranty ("6 years/105,000 miles") is for the Heater Core. That has to do with the inside of the heater core corroding and plugging up, leading to a loss of heat in the HVAC system. The number of defective heater cores is small. The extended Warranty will cover flushing and refilling the coolant system and heater core, or replacing the heater core if flushing will not cure the problem.

The "PTU" issue is a trans fluid leak in the "PTU" seal, which is part of the AWD system. There is no antifreeze/coolant in the "PTU". And to date, there has been no Warranty extension on the "PTU". And as an FYI for others, if a person has a FWD Edge/MKX, they have no PTU.

The bottom line though is they are two completely different issues. So if what you are smelling is actually antifreeze/coolant, it is not from a leaking PTU.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

In cold weather after driving at high speed mine smells horrible, so thinking that is what mine could be, but not finding any leaks. I have an 08 with 9000 miles, the smell started when the weather got cold and after it had to sit for 6 weeks not being driven.

Sounds more like the infamous PTO problem. Check out the forum

One thing I have noticed,that the air intake on the EDGE,picks up every slight odor outside,even a cigar in the car in frontof you,Marty

Are you telling us that the Edge is the only car you've ever driven that picks up outside odors?

Well you must be driving cars with no ventilation because I've smelled outside odors in every car I've driven.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

Greg Fox from Philadelphia burbs here...actually right near the airport.

One week old, 400 miles and YES, I think I did smell some anti-freeze.

I bought this car to replace my beloved Pontiac Aztek. I test drove a Nissa Murano, Nissan Rogue, Chevy equinox and a few others until I settled on the Edge. I had not even considered a Ford since my two Taurus station wagons cost me a transmission each before 100,000 miles. Though it was impossible to match the cargo space of the Aztek, the Edge comes close in confort. I also purchased the six-year, 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. I am giving Ford another chance since they seem to be holding their own and are making their cars in the USA. I really hope they don't let me down again.

BTW: Is there a crossbar that screws into the factory installed roof rails so I can throw a cargo box up there?

Peace

Thanks for the input!! So if my problem is not a "heater core" problem and the PTU doens't have antifreeze, what exactly is the smell from? Not sure what a PTO is either......and what is the infamous problem dealing with that? I really didn't think I'd have any issues and this is one of the reasons I wanted to buy new. My vehicle is AWD, what is the next step for me.......hopefully others who have been down this road can help? As always, thank you very much.

Thanks for the input!! So if my problem is not a "heater core" problem and the PTU doens't have antifreeze, what exactly is the smell from? Not sure what a PTO is either......and what is the infamous problem dealing with that? I really didn't think I'd have any issues and this is one of the reasons I wanted to buy new. My vehicle is AWD, what is the next step for me.......hopefully others who have been down this road can help? As always, thank you very much.

I've bought my 2010 Edge late November, I could smell a sweet anitfreeze smell as it sat and idled while I was taking delivery of it. I had the shop pressure test it and the test was good, but I'm wondering if they filled the resevior bottle right up to aid in finding small leaks. As I put some miles on it and used the recirculation function I noticed an old freezer smell when switched to recirculate. Another call to the dealer and the vehicle is going in tomorrow to clean the heater/ac/venting components, I've asked them to inspect the heater core too. Also the windshield has fogged up on 3 occasions very quickly. I'll keep you posted.

Hi strenn. :D Internet diagnosis is difficult at best. Impossible at worst. We can not tell what you are actually smelling, since even you are not sure. And PTU/PTO? Same thing being called different names by different people.

So in all honesty, your next step is what your first step should have been when you have a new vehicle that is under Warranty and you feel you have an issue that needs addressing. Make an appointment and take it in for service.

Describe your issue to the Service Writer in as much detail as possible: What happens. How it happens. When it happens. Hot or cold. Rainy or dry. Day or night. Fast or slow. Have them send a Tech with you on a test drive and demonstrate the problem. Get the Tech to say that they hear, feel, see or smell the problem.

Then let the Service Department diagnose and repair the issue.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Are you telling us that the Edge is the only car you've ever driven that picks up outside odors?

Well you must be driving cars with no ventilation because I've smelled outside odors in every car I've driven.

I am not saying that the Edge is the only car that picks up outside air odors,but it is very sensitive to the outside air,my Touareg has a sensor that switches to recirculate when offensive odors are detected and switches to recirculate when you put the car into reverse. It may be the way the air is distributed in the EDGE,Marty

• 3 weeks later...

My 2010 also leaks & smells. Dealer said it was the PTU problem that has hit a lot of AWD edge's. The smell is gear oil comimg from the seal on the PTU unit. As with my problem, when you come to a heavy stop, ie: hit the brakes on a fast red light, or the guy in front decides to stop, the oil is pushed out of the seal and lands on the exhaust manifold, thus making the smoke & smell. And because the oil burnes off, there's no evidence of a leak unless you look close at the manifold. I've also heard that the plastic cap that covers the PTU can crack and also leak if not installed correctly. So now, when I can, I start to brake as early as possible and as smooth as possible. I have about 9000mi on the car now and it has gotten worse as time has gone by. After 6 weeks, my dealer has finally received the parts. Said that Ford is backed up trying to get new parts out to dealers. I'm going in tomorrow to have the parts replaced.

Hope this helps.

My 2010 also leaks & smells. Dealer said it was the PTU problem that has hit a lot of AWD edge's. The smell is gear oil comimg from the seal on the PTU unit. As with my problem, when you come to a heavy stop, ie: hit the brakes on a fast red light, or the guy in front decides to stop, the oil is pushed out of the seal and lands on the exhaust manifold, thus making the smoke & smell. And because the oil burnes off, there's no evidence of a leak unless you look close at the manifold. I've also heard that the plastic cap that covers the PTU can crack and also leak if not installed correctly. So now, when I can, I start to brake as early as possible and as smooth as possible. I have about 9000mi on the car now and it has gotten worse as time has gone by. After 6 weeks, my dealer has finally received the parts. Said that Ford is backed up trying to get new parts out to dealers. I'm going in tomorrow to have the parts replaced.

Hope this helps.

Here in Mississauga, Ontario, had the parts in stack no wait for back order. Maybe it's becouse they make the Ege down the street in Oakville.

• 3 weeks later...